Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper with Sling - CES Press Releases

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   snowman

snowman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Archos is great, we have one still. But is only works on MPEG-2 recordings, so no HD.
My guess is that the advantage for dish with both Archos and iPAD is control over the output format. One format option works across all iPADs.
That would be less-than-optimal on the android platform.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

check a specs of your Archos, it does support H.264; it was dish decision ...perhaps that time not many HD DVR has USB 2.0 ?

#23 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Is it possible to have Original Hoppers and New Hoppers on the same system? I would like to replace one of my Joeys with a New Hopper.

#24 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Is it possible to have Original Hoppers and New Hoppers on the same system? I would like to replace one of my Joeys with a New Hopper.

Yes, Hopper 2000 and Hopper with Sling will work together.

#25 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

Unless they come up with a new type of node, however, you would only be able to have one Hopper and one Hopper 2 "see" each other... because if you had 2 Hoppers on a dual node, you'd have to put your new Hopper 2 on its own node, which would be isolated...

Swapping a Joey for a Hopper 2 will not be easy peasy in terms of cabling/node work...

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#26 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

Unless they come up with a new type of node, however, you would only be able to have one Hopper and one Hopper 2 "see" each other... because if you had 2 Hoppers on a dual node, you'd have to put your new Hopper 2 on its own node, which would be isolated...

Swapping a Joey for a Hopper 2 will not be easy peasy in terms of cabling/node work...

You can run a jumper between client ports on the two nodes and all three hopper will see each other.

Sent from my DROIDX
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#27 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

Swapping a Joey for a third Hopper was easy peasy for me :) . I was really happy when I found out that you could hook two nodes together. It just made sense that it would work out. I thought about it for a little while (like a week or so) then I said "What the heck" and ran a jumper cable between the nodes. Eureka! It worked! This was several months ago. Lots of discussion was had about it. Very little (negligible) MoCA signal loss between the nodes.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#28 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Unless there is some technical reason... I think it would be a mistake to leave all their current Hopper customers in the dark on this kind of new feature.

The technical reason is probably the ability to re-encode the data stream into a native iPad format at a reasonable speed. It's one thing to Sling the data live, and another thing to Sling 2 hours of data in a reasonably short time period. No doubt the USB connection is not fast enough, nor the processor in the original Sling Adapter, to encode that much data that fast.

#29 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

IF Dish could do it, I'm sure they would love for all their older customers to call in tomorrow and sign up for Hoppers.

Good luck with that. The increase of $11 (soon to be $10) going from a 722K to 1H/1J is ridiculous. Now if the first Joey was free with the Hopper, like people hoped for before release, than a lot more people would have jumped on the upgrade for only a $4 (soon $3) increase. I know I would have and I know plenty of other Dish subscribers who would have also.

Dish does have every right to charge what they see fit for their equipment and service. But they can also pay to maintain a whole bunch of older equipment too.

#30 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Sling Adapter is $50 and the 922 already has Sling built-in.

Obnoxious . . . . I know my 922 has a sling. Yeesh.

Question is what it will cost existing customers who do not have a Hopper to upgrade to the new Hopper. Was told by a CSR today it will be $ 50 plus $ 15 tech vistit.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yes, Hopper 2000 and Hopper with Sling will work together.

There is no more of such, it's just a "Hopper" while new one is "Hopper 2"

#32 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

I wondered about that... if the requirement was Sling (which can be done with a Sling adapter on the current Hopper model) OR if they truly were going to limit it to the Hopper 2 only.

Unless there is some technical reason... I think it would be a mistake to leave all their current Hopper customers in the dark on this kind of new feature.

Yah, that's gonna' really irritate me, as I've wanted this feature forever, and now my Hopper with External sling adapter won't have it?

#33 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

There is no more of such, it's just a "Hopper" while new one is "Hopper 2"

What? It is not called a Hopper 2, it is called Hopper with Sling, just like it is displayed on the outside of the box it comes in. And on the bezzle itself.

Edited by some guy, 09 January 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Yah, that's gonna' really irritate me, as I've wanted this feature forever, and now my Hopper with External sling adapter won't have it?

Most likely the reason the new Hopper can do this is because they beefed up the processor and ram.

#35 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

You can run a jumper between client ports on the two nodes and all three hopper will see each other.

Have we ever heard if this is officially supported by Dish?

I ask because... I know ethernet works to Joeys as well, but Dish has said it is unofficial... which leads me to think they could disable that feature at some point... so I'm wondering if they could disable the node linking at some point too.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#36 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Have we ever heard if this is officially supported by Dish?

I ask because... I know ethernet works to Joeys as well, but Dish has said it is unofficial... which leads me to think they could disable that feature at some point... so I'm wondering if they could disable the node linking at some point too.

Doubt it on both counts.

I've ran it by DIRT and they were impressed. There were initially some minor software issues with 3 Hoppers but I reported them to DIRT and a software update was released soon after that fixed the issues.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#37 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Obnoxious . . . . I know my 922 has a sling. Yeesh.

Question is what it will cost existing customers who do not have a Hopper to upgrade to the new Hopper. Was told by a CSR today it will be $ 50 plus $ 15 tech vistit.

The CSR was mistaken. That quote was likely for the current Hopper. CSR's don't even have the ability to process an H2 upgrade until the 17th. An H2 upgrade will cost Either $200 or $300 depending on your status with DISH

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,750 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

What? It is not called a Hopper 2, it is called Hopper with Sling, just like it is displayed on the outside of the box it comes in. And on the bezzle itself.

Huh ? Did you press Menu twice? Did you seen white label on a back of the DVR ?
Or you're living in PR Dept world ?

#39 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,356 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Where have you seen it called a Hopper 2?

#40 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Hmmm... Menu twice displays Hopper with Sling....white label on the back displays XIP 913. I guess you are right, its officially called the Hopper 2.

spam firewall