Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper with Sling - CES Press Releases

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,355 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Good photos. Are those really Dr. Dre or other hip-hop headphones next to the Sling with Hopper, aka, "Slopper"?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

The pics were taken by hdtvfan001 and myself. Thanks HD. :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#63 OFFLINE   Ops5

Ops5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I thought I was going to have this installed tomorrow until at the end of the conversation I'm told there is a $199 fee for the Hopper w/ Sling. :confused: Guess I'll be staying with DTV.

Did I miss something? I don't remember reading about a fee like this for new customers.

#64 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

It's supposed to be free for most new customers.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#65 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

If you subscribe to the AT120 or higher, the $199.00 lease upgrade fee is waived. If this is your case, I would call again and verify this.

#66 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I just pretended to be a new customer at dish.com and it looks like I could get it free as a new customer. I didn't even have to go as far as entering my personal info. I chose a 3tv set up and entered my zip code and then this appeared with an image of the new Hopper.

Get The HopperTM with Sling® Free!

With new DISH service, qualified customers can get the Hopper with Sling: the most advanced Whole-Home HD DVR in the industry! Connect up to 4 HD TVs with the Hopper and 3 Joeys- free for qualified customers.
(Monthly DVR and receiver fees apply.)

So unless you aren't qualified for some reason, I would think you can get it free as a new customer.

What program package did you select? Maybe you should sign up at dish.com.

#67 OFFLINE   Ops5

Ops5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thanks all. I just subscribed online without a problem. $199 fee credited back. Looking forward to returning to Dish and my 1st Sling device! :)

#68 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

I just had a Hopper w/Sling and a 2nd non-sling Hopper installed last Friday. H w/Sling was free, 2nd Hopper w/o was $100 but if I had wanted a 2nd w/sling it would have been $200.

This was as a 'new' (returning) customer.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#69 OFFLINE   Ops5

Ops5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

So I got my Hopper w/ Sling and Joey installed on Monday. I've had little time to play with it but so far so good.

Question: Is there any chance I can utilize my DirecTV DECA broadband adapter components to push internet through the coax? The Dish installer took it all apart of course - I'll probably try it when I have time, but was just wondering if anyone had a definite answer.

Thanks.

#70 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Assuming you have internet on the Hopper w/Sling either wirelessly or with a wired ethernet connection, you just need to enable bridging to get it to the coax.

Please check to ensure bridging is enabled on both Hoppers soyou can see the HD from either Hopper.

You can check this feature by pressing the Yellow Hot key on your remote to display the Settings screen on your TV. Press the Blue Hot key for Broadband Setup. Select MoCA from the drop down list below the picture window. Then press the Blue Hot key 2 times. The Bridging button will appear on the right. Select the Bridging button and ensure this feature is enabled.

Lloyd

#71 OFFLINE   Ops5

Ops5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Assuming you have internet on the Hopper w/Sling either wirelessly or with a wired ethernet connection, you just need to enable bridging to get it to the coax.

Please check to ensure bridging is enabled on both Hoppers soyou can see the HD from either Hopper.

You can check this feature by pressing the Yellow Hot key on your remote to display the Settings screen on your TV. Press the Blue Hot key for Broadband Setup. Select MoCA from the drop down list below the picture window. Then press the Blue Hot key 2 times. The Bridging button will appear on the right. Select the Bridging button and ensure this feature is enabled.

Thanks, I should have been more specific. I can see the hard drive from both receivers. What I'm wanting to do is pull internet out of the receivers coax lines using my DTV DECA adapters in order to feed ethernet switches, which then supply internet to other devices located near each receiver (a tv and a BD player).

I did this with my DTV setup and am just wondering if by chance it will work with Dish equipment. Otherwise I have a daunting ethernet wiring project ahead of me.

#72 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,893 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

No. You can't use DECA with dish equipment.

#73 OFFLINE   Ops5

Ops5

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

No. You can't use DECA with dish equipment.

Ok, thanks. :(

#74 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Bridging should be enabled ONLY on the ONE Hopper connected to the network.

#75 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Also, bridging passes the IP from one connected Hopper to all other receivers . As stated above, bridging must only be enabled on the one hopper with the IP to avoid other issues. Also, bridging does NOT need to be enabled for DVR sharing, as long as you have both Hoppers to the same node then they should see each other. There is a bug with 2 hopper /0 Joey installs but that should be fixed pretty quickly.

#76 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, you're right, bridging should only be set on one Hopper and I would assume that is the one with the actual ethernet connection. In my case, that is the Hopper w/Sling that has wireless internet.

But what bug is there with 2 Hoppers and no Joey installs?

Lloyd

#77 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, you're right, bridging should only be set on one Hopper and I would assume that is the one with the actual ethernet connection. In my case, that is the Hopper w/Sling that has wireless internet.

But what bug is there with 2 Hoppers and no Joey installs?

Where the Hoppers may not communicate (DVR sharing) without a Joey or HIC installed in a 2 Hopper install. It's supposed to be fixed pretty quickly.

#78 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I did some looking around and it seems that the 2 Hopper bug is only if you have 2 of the Hopper with Slings installed with no Joeys.

A mix of 1 old and 1 new doesn't have this, nor did I see it talked about with 2 non-sling Hoppers.

Lloyd

#79 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

I did some looking around and it seems that the 2 Hopper bug is only if you have 2 of the Hopper with Slings installed with no Joeys.

A mix of 1 old and 1 new doesn't have this, nor did I see it talked about with 2 non-sling Hoppers.

Correct, it's only affecting HWS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...