Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand HD Quality Option

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

On Demand HD Quality Option was given to me yesterday for about 3 different shows downloaded I'm still downloading the same show but no longer getting the option. Can someon explain how it works.

The options were like Faster Download HD, High Quality HD and it was like episodes 6,7,8 of the showtimes series I was downloading I wasn't asked for the first 6 episodes.

Is this option permanent because I chose Faster Download but that's not what I always want and it has sinced stop asking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

It is not a permanent selection. As far as I can tell, it is based on a basic connection speed test. If the DVR/remote server connection is detected to be fast enough to support streaming in "near HD" quality, and the servers have the capacity to do so, you will get the option. If the test shows a slower speed, or the servers are too busy, you won't get the choice. It may not be available for all titles, either.

We have a 75 Mbps downstream connection (on FiOS) and we don't always get the option, but we often do.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#3 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:08 AM

It is not a permanent selection. As far as I can tell, it is based on a basic connection speed test. If the DVR/remote server connection is detected to be fast enough to support streaming in "near HD" quality, and the servers have the capacity to do so, you will get the option. If the test shows a slower speed, or the servers are too busy, you won't get the choice. It may not be available for all titles, either.

We have a 75 Mbps downstream connection (on FiOS) and we don't always get the option, but we often do.

Thanks first time I've ever got that option and I have a measly in comparison 30mbps Comcast.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...