Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper with Sling upgrade fees

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

Starting 1/17/13, The fee for existing customers to upgrade to a "Hopper with Sling" will be $200 to $300 depending on the customers standing with Dish. Thats a minimum $150 increase over the current Hopper upgrade fee.:(

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yankee

Yankee

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Starting 1/17/13, The fee for existing customers to upgrade to a "Hopper with Sling" will be $200 to $300 depending on the customers standing with Dish. Thats a minimum $150 increase over the current Hopper upgrade fee.:(

I wonder how many people that have the Hopper 1 will upgrade to the Hopper 2 and pay 200 to 300 dollars. I know wont only thing i care bout is the Sling

#3 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I wonder how many people that have the Hopper 1 will upgrade to the Hopper 2 and pay 200 to 300 dollars. I know wont only thing i care bout is the Sling

Not me. Already have Sling Adapters, WiFi dongles.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#4 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 563 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I just bought a Roku HD for 50 bucks. Very nice for streaming a lot of free "stuff". Really nice if you have Amazon Prime, actually has your watchlist (where many smart TV's don't). Had too many problems streaming Dish stuff. Have one Sling adapter for on the road DVR streaming.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

It has official name: Hopper 2.

#6 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

I was told the upgrade fee would be the "same" (e.g. $ 50) as the existing upgrade to Hopper. We are hearing different things (shocker) from different sources at Dish.

It would be really nice, when a new product is launched, that Dish have a pricing structure set up (and in the press release) for the millions of existing customers who may be curious.

#7 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

It has official name: Hopper 2.

Who told you that? Its called Hopper With Sling, just like its branded on the outside of the box its shipped in and as well as the bezzle. The Hopper 2000 is the Hopper and the new model is Hopper with Sling.

#8 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

I was told the upgrade fee would be the "same" (e.g. $ 50) as the existing upgrade to Hopper. We are hearing different things (shocker) from different sources at Dish.

It would be really nice, when a new product is launched, that Dish have a pricing structure set up (and in the press release) for the millions of existing customers who may be curious.

The H2 is not set to launch until the 17th and the pricing structure is set, according to documents that were sent to me on the 7th. I can understand why the pricing details would not be included at the CES press conference. That venue is there to hype companies and the products they sell.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Who told you that? Its called Hopper With Sling, just like its branded on the outside of the box its shipped in and as well as the bezzle. The Hopper 2000 is the Hopper and the new model is Hopper with Sling.

Better update your "knowledge" .... start from reading white label on a back the DVR and press Menu twice.

#10 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

When I checked with the tech Support group, and the CS group, neither of the reps I got had any idea what I was even talking about.
Tried explaining to me that-
"You cannot transfer recordings to an iPad, only an external drive".
"The Hopper doesn't have Sling built in, but you can add an adapter, and stream to your iPad".

Thanks for the info I already know. Didn't bother pointing out that the streaming function is a 50/50 proposition at best.

I spent most of the online chat copying and pasting press release info.

#11 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I already have a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I am getting ready to get a second Hopper.

What should I expect my cost to be for the Hopper and installation?

Also...should I wait for this Hopper 2? What is the difference?

Thanks,

Todd

#12 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Better update your "knowledge" .... start from reading white label on a back the DVR and press Menu twice.

You crack me up. Menu 2x ...Hopper with Sling...white label on back...XIP 913.

So tell me again where you see that it is called a Hopper 2 or where and when Dish said its officially the Hopper 2?

#13 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Thanks,

Todd

The Hopper with Sling has double the ram and much faster processor. It also supports "Hopper Transfers" app which allows for you to transfer recorded content to an iPad. It also has built in Sling and Wifi adapter.

#14 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks,

Todd

In a word...it depends, on your history with Dish, your current contractual status and how conservative you want to play it. I would contact a DIRT member here, they are knowledgeable and helpful. I have negotiated every upgrade, and cut the best deal I could, the last Joey I got for NC. Never have called, I've heard the phone calls can get weird.
Personally I would get Hooper 2 if I was adding a second, I imagine it's compatible with Hopper 1. It would be no more daring then getting the first generation Hopper...maybe less. Bon Appétit
Thank you and
Best of luck

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

You crack me up. Menu 2x ...Hopper with Sling...white label on back...XIP 913.

So tell me again where you see that it is called a Hopper 2 or where and when Dish said its officially the Hopper 2?

In SW what is spooling to it.

#16 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

Anyone who's seen the software spool posts on these threads would know its S300..

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

seems to me we are live in different worlds ... I'm here, at the site ... last 10 years ...
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=211755

#18 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

I have no idea what you are saying.

#19 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

Those existing customers without a Hopper can still upgrade to Hopper 1.0 for $50 even after Hopper 2.0 is released.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

I have no idea what you are saying.

the idea is to follow URL what I posted for you

spam firewall