Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does Anyone Like the Genie (HR34) & C31 Client Setup?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nut4wine

nut4wine

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

I've been with DirecTV a long time (since '97) and I've been using the same three DirecTivo units (with upgraded drives) for a long time. Now I'm finally looking to go to HD programming and get a new set of DVRs (or their equivalent). Since I'm getting everything replaced (Dish, DVRs) it's just as easy to go with DISH as DirecTV. I've been trying to compare the Hopper/Joey with the Genie/C31. Certainly not apples to apples and both seem to have advantages. I like the idea of the Hopper's Primetime Anytime approach (and 2TB drive) but the specs on the Genie are pretty good as well. I also like the better flexibility with using external drives with the Hopper.

The reason for this post is to ask is anyone happy with their Genie/C31 set up? I see a lot of complaints and problems reported here. I'm not looking to beta test something after using the DirecTivos for so long. The Hopper seems more stable (although anything like this is always going to have "quirks"). Thanks for any insights you can provide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

I am in the same boat (sort of, as I have two HR-24s, so I already have HD, etc). Dish has announced their Hopper updates at CES and they have some pretty cool things (built in sling and being able to download recorded shows to iPad for offline viewing).

I am not a fan the “interface” for the Hopper (looks functional, but looks less “high tech”), but I might be able to deal.

I am thinking about asking DirectTV for the Genie plus 2 C31s and a reduction in my bill (I pay close to a $110/month right now), if they say no, then go through the quit process, and if they don’t comply, then switch to Dish. According to the Dish website, I can get a hopper + 2 client boxes, all the channels I care about for free, $39.99/month ($59.99/month afterwards). So, I would get the multi-room stuff without cost to me and my bill would be lower for the first year and after that it will still be way lower.

I hate playing games, but Dish is starting to look mighty good and if DirectTV doesn’t want to budge on helping out long time customers not under contract.

That being said, I really like direct tv’s UI (I think it looks clean) and would prefer to stay, but direct tv needs to pick up their game. Maybe they will announce some awesome thing at CES this week.

#3 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:32 AM

OK, I got further in the “sign up” of Dish and there it would include $22 in DVR fees, a month, so the price after the first year would be comparable to DirectTV.

#4 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Nothing wrong with the Genie itself, the client system just seems to be a little limiting. If it were me, I would spend the extra $100 for an HD-DVR in place of any clients in rooms that I watched TV frequently. Double the recording capability and if the Genie goes down, it doesn't take all of the rest of my TVs with it.

#5 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

I love it, I record a lot and the 5 tuners allow that, no problem's
with the c31 client after the newer software,
Its a little slower than setting at the genie but works well and the whole home is great.

#6 OFFLINE   cnr1089

cnr1089

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

I already have two DVRs and I want to replace them with 1 Genie and a bunch of C31s. Why? Because to me the hassle of scheduling on multiple DVRs is too much. I want list of season passes and I like that the Genie has this all with 5 tuners.

The fact that I cannot set up recordings from a DVR to record on the genie makes it a limiting factor.

I suppose I could always do my recordings via the iPhone/iPad interface and maybe this isn’t an issue, but to me it is too much of a hassle.

#7 OFFLINE   vobguy

vobguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

I am really confused by the clients and the Genie. I have read that the clients are connected to the Genie via coax? I dont see many coax outputs on the Genie back panel in the pictures as I have seen?

Makes me not want to pull the trigger on such an arrangement.

#8 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,801 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

I am really confused by the clients and the Genie. I have read that the clients are connected to the Genie via coax? I dont see many coax outputs on the Genie back panel in the pictures as I have seen?

Makes me not want to pull the trigger on such an arrangement.

The signal that feeds the clients is on the same coax that carries the satellite signal into the Genie (HR34). That one cable can support three concurrent outbound streams of data, either to C31 clients or H2X or HR2X HD receivers via Whole Home DVR function.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

spam firewall