Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looks like Sony is getting into the RVU client game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

From http://reviews.cnet....7-35561978.html

Sony's TV range for 2013 is smaller, some would say "more focused," than in years past, but the company is still including select innovations in even its midrange KDL-R550A series.

This TV plays well with others, namely satellite provider DirecTV and any (non-Apple, thank you very much) tablets and smartphones with near-field communication (NFC) capability. Its RVU (I looked, but I have no idea what that stands for) compliance means "DirecTV customers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can access their set-top box, DVR, and on-demand services right from the KDL-R550A TV without the need for additional equipment." Sony assured me that DirecTV doesn't charge an additional fee, monthly or otherwise, for the TV to access the box.

Well I hope the RVU part is correct since we knoe the part about DIRECTV not charging an additional fee is not.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

From http://reviews.cnet....7-35561978.html

Well I hope the RVU part is correct since we knoe the part about DIRECTV not charging an additional fee is not.

I know I saw something at work the other day about the PS3 getting a firmware update to make it RVU compatible. So yes, Sony is getting into the RVU game. I'm looking forward to some more market diversity.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Unless Sony paid DirecTV money so that their equipment is not subject to the fee. Not that I think that's what happened.

Where we really need RVU are in small sets, like what someone would put in a bedroom and such.

Not seeing how RVU can be added to a current PS3 with just a firmware update and have it work with an HR34. Maybe something with the HR44?

Edited by dpeters11, 08 January 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#4 OFFLINE   ikoniq

ikoniq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well, I mean considering that RVU only needs an active network connection of some sort, I see no reason why not. If the PS3 has a DECA (like an RVU Client TV), then it's connected to the DECA cloud. Hell, throw in a CCK, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need the DECA. Unless I'm missing some huge part of the RVU picture.

Any opinions, express or implied, are solely my own and do not reflect the views of DirecTV, our other representatives, employees, or other associated/affiliated companies.

My Equipment: 1x HR44-500, 1x HR24-200, 1x H25-100, 2x D12-100
My Programming: Premier, HD Extra Pack, NFL ST MAX, NBA LP, NHL CI, MLS DK, Fox Soccer Plus, En Espanol

#5 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Well, I mean considering that RVU only needs an active network connection of some sort, I see no reason why not. If the PS3 has a DECA (like an RVU Client TV), then it's connected to the DECA cloud. Hell, throw in a CCK, and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't even need the DECA. Unless I'm missing some huge part of the RVU picture.

Agree with that thought, just put the RVU client app in the store and let folks download it. The question I have is would DIRECTV require that they send someone out to install a DECA on the PS3 just like they do now for Samsung TV RVU clients?

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Would a standard DECA not plugged into the coax work with a PS3? Obviously you'd need the power injector.

I'd imagine though that they'd have a different version.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Would a standard DECA not plugged into the coax work with a PS3? Obviously you'd need the power injector.

I'd imagine though that they'd have a different version.

Don't see why it shouldn't. But if DIRECTV has any plans for a wireless RVU client so they can compete with AT&T they need to rethink this need a DECA requirement. If they think they can support wireless connections, which can be very unreliable for video streaming they need to let the consumer use their ethernet connections for RVU clients also. If folks are already connecting their Smart TV's to their networks why should they have to pay DIRECTV to come out and reconnect it to their network now all their other networking apps like NetFlix, Amazon, HuLu are not passing through the DECA cloud and could impact that networks performance.

spam firewall