Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coax on HD Dvr

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rayxxxle

rayxxxle

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Do any of the HD DVRs have a coax output for non hd receivers? Or is it HDMI or component only? I have a run from the receiver to the TV that I can only use coax for, no hdmi or component cables. Or do I just keep my R15?
Also need to know if SWM 16 has a legacy port for the R15

Thanks,
Errol

Edited by rayxxxle, 08 January 2013 - 04:37 PM.

HR34
HR23
HR22
C31
H22

Vizio 46" LCDHD
Phillips 32" LCDHD
Vizio 32" LCDHD
Vizio 32" LCDHD
Vizio 22" LCDHD

1250VA Battery BU

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Do any of the HD DVRs have a coax output for non hd receivers? Or is it HDMI or component only? I have a run from the receiver to the TV that I can only use coax for, no hdmi or component cables. Or do I just keep my R15?

Thanks,
Errol

1. No current HDDVR has a coax output. You'd have to get a RF modulator if you didn't want to keep the R15. I'd just keep the R15 till you upgrade the TV.
2. Yes the SWM16 has 4 legacy outputs.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,022 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Using an rf modulator to feed an SD tv from an HD receiver/DVR also has a complication. If you set the receiver/DVR up to output HD, say to a local TV, and also use the composite (yellow) output to feed a modulator to a remote tv, you will get a big error window on the SD tv anytime you use the menu, guide, or list. If you set the receiver/DVR up to only output SD resolution, you won't have a problem.

So if the R15 is replaced with an HD DVR at an SD tv location, and you set it up for 480i output, you'll be okay using an external modulator. But if you want to feed a secondary SD location off an HD DVR that is feeding HD to a local TV, you could run into problems at the remote tv.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,650 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:13 AM

You'll find suitable RF Modulators at places like Radio Shack and Best Buy.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

Thanks,
Errol

Seems to me like a simpler solution exists. If u have a swim u could just put a splitter and put a swm capable reciever there. Namely an h25 if size is an issue. They r tiny and can be ziptied behind the TV. Or go all out and get a genie and use a c31. Sorry I went rouge for second there.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...