Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are some of Discovery and History channels shows staged?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:14 AM

^ Probably about as real as the 'ghosts' on the Haunted whatever shows.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Staged for experimentation and demonstration is one thing.

What these guys do is more like grandstanding or showmanship. Doesn't qualify as 'science' to me.

Well, they generally do it to the myth (though sometimes they do use the term loosely), then see what it would take to actually replicate the results. Either that or just blow the whole thing up. I'm good with that.

Heck, even actual science shows, with actual astronomers have things wrong, on purpose, for dramatization purposes.

#43 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

[...] I do miss Sunrise Earth. It was some of the first HD tv I got to enjoy.

+1x10
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#44 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Hoarders is all real and no one can tell me different.

I do believe that Hoarders is essentially real, although they do play editing tricks with certain reaction shots.

When somebody says "all reality shows are staged," I would modify that to "all reality shows have some level of staging."

There is quite a range, from subtle influences by producers and spliced-in reaction shots, to downright manipulation and scripting of every part of the show.

My wife was watching Mystery Diners on Food Network, and it was completely obvious to me immediately that it was the latter example of a (poorly) scripted show with actors.

#45 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I watched the season debut of Property Wars last night. There were two occurrences that felt completely staged. In the first there was a small pile of sand neatly located in the middle of the driveway of one of the houses. The buyer found a little piece of PVC and gambled that the house had a new kitchen (wrong). In the second, a dirt bike motorcycle was found in a storage building - but it was a nice storage building and the bike was under a tarp -- why?

I won't be watching again.

#46 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

First: Total forgot Property Wars was on last night, got something to watch later.

Second:

All of these shows, not just Discovery and History all of them.... Are a blend between Rigged, Scripted, and Creatively Edited.

They are blending pieces filmed at totally different times, to make it appear like it happened in one night. These "casts" have to wear the same clothes... all the time.

They are injecting "drama" into some of them for no reason, like the BS with Pawn Stars and the ownership.

Most of these shows to me, are filler.. 30 minutes shows, that I can watch when:
a) My kids are around, my son actually gets into some of them.
B) want to watch that one last show before crashing at night.

Shows that I watch for more in depth entertainment... are some of the one hour action/drama shows... or some of the upcomming mini-series (and some of the recent ones)....

At the end of the day, it is TV.
Ultimately it is edited by someone, produced by someone, to match their vision for what they wanted to present.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

And you probably still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny :lol:

I quit watching Survivorman regularly because of the toll it was taking on my body! :)

Facts are facts. Do your own homework. Man Vs. Wild is staged, Survivorman was not.
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,164 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Facts are facts. Do your own homework. Man Vs. Wild is staged, Survivorman was not.

Les may not go and stay at a Motel 6 and have dinner at PF Changs but if you believe Survivorman is not staged, I'll PM you about this wonderful land deal I have going.

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute"

Edited by fluffybear, 11 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#49 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

If memory serves me correctly, about two years ago there was union action against the studios demanding recognition for some of the writers/producers on reality shows. Many of them started out a low-paying non-union productions and were trying to hide the fact that many of them were heavily scripted and edited. I think it was the Real World/Real Housewives types of shows that were the biggest offenders.

One thing to look at is how many people are on the production crew when you go to their IMDB listing. Storage Wars has a crew 2-3 times as large as Survivorman. And if you look at a show like Real Housewives of Miami the crew includes a lead writer and several Story Producers. Hint, hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Edited by mreposter, 12 January 2013 - 06:11 AM.

.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#50 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

Right. Like with Pawn Stars I like some of the items brought in, learn about them etc. I'm assuming that the actual items are authentic. That's where my real interest is. I really don't care about the family dynamics or if they have negotiated the item beforehand.

I know it's not Antiques Roadshow, which I know some say is also fake, but I know the appraisers have to pay their own way to participate.

I do like seeing the appraisals, but makes you wonder if ther is collusion before the price is announced ! Why wouldnt Rick tell his so called " I Have a Friend let me call him" !!!
And in Hardcore pawn it is soooo staged its sickening ! Back when it first aired was alot better. I remember one episode how Ashly defended her self as having a college degree in gemology then a year later a poor girl who's grandmother passed away and she had to pay for it came in with Grandma's bag of precious stones. Ashly looks at them calls them Glass ! and sends her away ! Yep she's a pro LOL Then her rip off scumbag father says wait let me look he wants a professional to look at this one ruby ! As the Appraisal is being announced they cut out his price ! The next scene is LES says to the girl iam so happy to give you $ 10,000.00 dollars for this burmese ruby !!!!!!!!!!! Really makes you wonder was it staged or did we just witnessed a crime ! for a $ 100,000.00 stone !! :mad:

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#51 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:40 AM

What's next, Amazing Race filmed on a sound stage? :)

NOPE its better then that ! Remember the movie LOOKER with Susan Dey ! Everyone is CG in the Amazing race on a Green screen LOL :D

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#52 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

And you probably still believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny :lol:

I quit watching Survivorman regularly because of the toll it was taking on my body! :)

I had my suspicions back when my wife watched "The Osbournes" she get so excited how cool it was to watch a real hollywood family as how they live ! I kept saying B.S untill the last season as i watched the last episode with her ! at the end of the show they said stay tuned for the bloopers I stood up and said I told you so ! LOL and never believed any crap on TV

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,908 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

I do like seeing the appraisals, but makes you wonder if ther is collusion before the price is announced ! Why wouldnt Rick tell his so called " I Have a Friend let me call him" !!!
And in Hardcore pawn it is soooo staged its sickening ! Back when it first aired was alot better. I remember one episode how Ashly defended her self as having a college degree in gemology then a year later a poor girl who's grandmother passed away and she had to pay for it came in with Grandma's bag of precious stones. Ashly looks at them calls them Glass ! and sends her away ! Yep she's a pro LOL Then her rip off scumbag father says wait let me look he wants a professional to look at this one ruby ! As the Appraisal is being announced they cut out his price ! The next scene is LES says to the girl iam so happy to give you $ 10,000.00 dollars for this burmese ruby !!!!!!!!!!! Really makes you wonder was it staged or did we just witnessed a crime ! for a $ 100,000.00 stone !! :mad:

One spin off of Pawn Stars I wouldn't mind is one other Mark, the life of a museum administrator. Something tells me though that if it really was his day to day job, the ratings would not be high enough.

#54 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

New TV show ‘Southie Rules’: Boston Business Owner Claims Reality Show Is ‘Scripted’

http://bostinno.com/...05_275819_0__ss

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#55 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

New TV show ‘Southie Rules’: Boston Business Owner Claims Reality Show Is ‘Scripted’

http://bostinno.com/...05_275819_0__ss

Again.... So?

It's TV, It's Entertainment...
There are shows that I expect to be real, and not scripted... DateLine, 20/20, 48hours....

Then there are shows that I don't care if they are scripted or not, aka: everythign else.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

There are shows that I expect to be real, and not scripted... DateLine, 20/20, 48hours....

I guess it depends on how you define scripted, but those are FULLY scripted, word for word, start to finish.

Unscripted shows to me are COPS, The First 48, Wild Justice, Alaska State Troopers, and a few others along that line. And even those are heavily edited.

#57 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Again.... So?

It's TV, It's Entertainment...

Then there are shows that I don't care if they are scripted or not, aka: everythign else.

Well truthfully I thought Reality shows were just that, almost a documentary style of entertainment. Where fools in real life were captured with camera's because they are unique to our society, and not being scripted. I have a lot of shows I will now be cancelling.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#58 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,499 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

The definition of Reality television is what I thought, after looking into it more. http://en.wikipedia....lity_television

Here's more info http://electronics.h.../reality-tv.htm

By definition, reality TV is essentially unscripted programming that doesn't employ actors and focuses on footage of real events or situations. Reality shows also often use a host to run the show or a narrator to tell the story or set the stage of events that are about to unfold. Unlike scripted shows like sitcoms, dramas and newscasts, reality TV does not rely on writers and actors, and much of the show is run by producers and a team of editors. Because of this, it can be a very affordable programming option from a production standpoint -- and it's why networks are scrambling to add reality content in the wake of the Writers Guild of America strike.

Edited by oldschoolecw, 12 January 2013 - 04:51 PM.

Pioneer VSX-1120
Comcast Triple Play

#59 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

The ones I just listed probably fit that definition far closer than most of the drivel mentioned earlier.

#60 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Seems pretty obvious they are all staged: Pawn Stars...

When either Chumlee or Corey start speaking authoritatively about anything other than what they had for lunch that day, you can rest assured that it's not only staged, but also well-rehearsed (probably many, many times).

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...