Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Are some of Discovery and History channels shows staged?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

The definition of Reality television is what I thought, after looking into it more. http://en.wikipedia....lity_television

Here's more info http://electronics.h.../reality-tv.htm

That was the original premise of Reality TV, which largely grew out of COPS (which is heavily edited, but still the closest thing to a true reality show), but it didn't take long for production companies to realize that if they could actively participate and increase the level of drama, as well as RELIABLY create drama on a schedule rather than waiting and hoping something interesting happens, then their show would be worth more. Most of these reality shows have a team of writers, producers, and production assistants who manufacture a lot of the drama and do so on a schedule. This creates a "sure thing" that makes networks feel much more comfortable about their ability to sell advertising (and advertisers more comfortable about buying it).

Also, understand that a large percentage of the people in reality shows, especially prime-time shows, are ACTORS (up-and-coming, unknown actors) who sign up for every reality show that comes down the road. Same with cooking shows: there is a pool of "wanna-be celebrity chefs" who try out for all the cooking shows, and a number of them have been in different shows. The media likes to pretend these are all just random people off the street, but that's almost never the case.

The ONLY safe assumption you can ever make about ANY media is that it has been manipulated by the producers in some way. Maybe it's just to increase the entertainment value or the quality, and maybe it's for a more sinister purpose, but NONE of them are simply a camera that's set up and left rolling, with unedited footage being aired. Remember that.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,362 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Well said BattleZone.

My "favorite" show that was staged was Last Comic Standing. When Drew Carey basically walked off the set when the semi-final results announced didn't match what the judges had voted for.

Of course we learned later that two of the contestants, Ant and Gary Gulman were managed by the Executive Producer of the show and a third was dating someone from the show.

#63 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

"Amish Mafia" is staged. I live in Lancaster County, PA and can tell you this show is fake.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#64 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

That was the original premise of Reality TV, which largely grew out of COPS (which is heavily edited, but still the closest thing to a true reality show), but it didn't take long for production companies to realize that if they could actively participate and increase the level of drama, as well as RELIABLY create drama on a schedule rather than waiting and hoping something interesting happens, then their show would be worth more. Most of these reality shows have a team of writers, producers, and production assistants who manufacture a lot of the drama and do so on a schedule. This creates a "sure thing" that makes networks feel much more comfortable about their ability to sell advertising (and advertisers more comfortable about buying it).

Also, understand that a large percentage of the people in reality shows, especially prime-time shows, are ACTORS (up-and-coming, unknown actors) who sign up for every reality show that comes down the road. Same with cooking shows: there is a pool of "wanna-be celebrity chefs" who try out for all the cooking shows, and a number of them have been in different shows. The media likes to pretend these are all just random people off the street, but that's almost never the case.

The ONLY safe assumption you can ever make about ANY media is that it has been manipulated by the producers in some way. Maybe it's just to increase the entertainment value or the quality, and maybe it's for a more sinister purpose, but NONE of them are simply a camera that's set up and left rolling, with unedited footage being aired. Remember that.

I guess I better catch up with the times :lol: Thanks for your great description on the new Reality TV BTW. I feel jilted by what the Discovery and History channels have become. I no longer have a sense of trust with anything these 2 channels put on. Any specials they do "for example" Wooly Mammoths is most likely made up drivel.

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#65 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,311 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I'm glad DirecTV is adding H2 so that I can watch things like How the States got their shapes, and The Universe. True reality, unless I guess it's based on history written by the victors.

#66 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Any specials they do "for example" Wooly Mammoths is most likely made up drivel.

Maybe not entirely drivel, but probably loaded with CG which makes the whole program look faked.

H2 so that I can watch things like How the States got their shapes,

Another one they ruined. The first season was pretty good. In the second season, they turned it into some kind of game show clone.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#67 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,311 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

I was just thinking again about this thread, as I was watching a Piano Guys video. Even if reality shows are faked, at what point do we really care? In this case, I know that the Piano Guys videos are to some extent, faked. It's just in the nature, the audio track has to be recorded separately (though they may actually be playing), you just can't get good audio recording in many areas. But, I don't care, it's entertaining. Would it make any difference in these shows if they had a disclaimer? If they are entertaining or a bit educational if it's all real, how much of that goes away if it isn't completely real?

#68 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Facts are facts. Do your own homework. Man Vs. Wild is staged, Survivorman was not.

I am not saying Survivorman is completely fake but Les is not out there by himself as he claims. There has been more than one time Les has accidentally filmed his "additional cameraman".

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#69 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,311 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Any examples you can think of, other than some at the beginning when they leave him, or the episode with Bob Wilson?

#70 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,221 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

Any examples you can think of, other than some at the beginning when they leave him, or the episode with Bob Wilson?

There was an episode in Alaska which comes to mind where Les had a camera mounted on his kayak. Occasionally, Les would move and you could see the person standing on the shore.
There was a another episode (can not remember where he was but something says maybe Georgia swamp) where the cameraman stumbles.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

Protected By... spam firewall...And...