Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CES 2013: Engadget posts a hands on for the HR44

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

DirecTV HR44 whole-home Genie HD DVR hands-on

The HR34 hasn't been around that long, but DirecTV is showing the replacement at CES, the HR44.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bluemoon737

bluemoon737

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

DirecTV HR44 whole-home Genie HD DVR hands-on

Mike

BLAH...nothing really exciting about this. And who wants a box that requires a clunky enternal power supply?
-Jeff-
HR34-700, HR24-100, HR24-100, HR21-100, HR21-200, H23-600

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

The theory proposed in the article is that it decreases the heat in the box. Heat kills hard drives so this could help prolong the life of the DVR...It's a theory. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

I'm excited! This is so much smaller than the HR34!
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#5 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,552 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Glad it still has five tuners, but will it work with the AM21?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#6 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

I like the smaller remote allot better then the current bricks.

#7 OFFLINE   Zamps

Zamps

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

What's this talk about connecting a PS3 to the genie? Can you use it as another remote client?
Family Room: DTV HR20-700
Bedroom: R15

#8 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 794 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I like the smaller remote allot better then the current bricks.

It looks like that's just the RC70 remote for RVU TVs...I wonder if they'll be pushing that remote more over the RC65 remotes.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#9 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

It looks like that's just the RC70 remote for RVU TVs...I wonder if they'll be pushing that remote more over the RC65 remotes.

oh yeah you are probably right, would be nice if they switched up the remotes but I doubt it.

#10 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

What's this talk about connecting a PS3 to the genie? Can you use it as another remote client?

Yes, several devices are being looked at to be RVU enabled. Samsung is already looking into making some Blu-Ray players RVU enabled. I doubt they will offer software updates for it as I would assume they want you to buy their new equipment, but we'll see.

#11 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

The theory proposed in the article is that it decreases the heat in the box. Heat kills hard drives so this could help prolong the life of the DVR...It's a theory. :grin:

Mike

One thing I heard about external power supplies is that It was mainly done to reduce repair costs and service calls since they are most the component most likely to fail. Besides who wants to loose all their recordings over a dagum power supply. Now they can just mail one out.

Also excited for ps3 client function.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#12 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I was really hoping for 8 tuners, taking advantage of the SWiM 8's already out there, allowing for 1 streaming tuner to each of the 3 clients with 5 tuners left over to record and watch on the main TV, with a 2TB hard drive and 200 series links. Now that would have blown the competition out of the water.

Maybe next year. ;)

#13 OFFLINE   sipester

sipester

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Who cares about smaller? In order to match the capabilities of the new hopper, you need to do the following.

1. Add external 2TB drive to match Hopper's built in 2TB drive
2. Add Nomad box to match Hopper's built in ability for offline viewing on Ipad
3. Add Slingbox to match Hopper's built in Sling capability for remote viewing
4. Add extra C31 box for aforementioned Slingbox to work (unless you want to tie up the HR44 for remote viewings on the Slingbox)

When you add in those 4 extra boxes and cords to match what one Hopper does with one box, the whole "smaller form factor" kinda loses it's appeal (not to mention the extra cost and hassle of all those extra boxes).

Am I missing something here or did D* make a huge mistake and think that there HR34 from last year had all the features needed and didn't need improvement?

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

One thing I heard about external power supplies is that It was mainly done to reduce repair costs and service calls since they are most the component most likely to fail.

From the problems reported on here over the past few years, I would tend to say its the hard drive, not the power supply. Ive seen a few power supplies reported, but lots of hard drive failures.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

many other "hiccups" like freezing, rebooting, missed timers, disappearing records could be easily attributes by CPU's overheating also, beside HDD and PSU failures

#16 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,235 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

From the problems reported on here over the past few years, I would tend to say its the hard drive, not the power supply. Ive seen a few power supplies reported, but lots of hard drive failures.

True. But one of the main causes of hard drive failures is due to excessive heat. Remove the power supply from the unit and the internal temperature drops.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#17 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Who cares about smaller?

Alot of people who love technology and electronics, not to mention those of us with an attractive media setup.

Has Dish opened up user access to the second TB? That's a serious question.

Nomad has a very limited market and is slowly becoming less useful.

The direction of Directv Everywhere is slowly phasing out the need of a Slingbox with their service.

Am I missing something here or did D* make a huge mistake and think that there HR34 from last year had all the features needed and didn't need improvement?

I guess they figured they got it right when they went with 5 tuners instead of 3? Unless you love locals, which I virtually never use, there isn't much use for PTAT.

#18 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:11 AM

Alot of people who love technology and electronics, not to mention those of us with an attractive media setup.

Has Dish opened up user access to the second TB? That's a serious question.

Nomad has a very limited market and is slowly becoming less useful.

The direction of Directv Everywhere is slowly phasing out the need of a Slingbox with their service.

I guess they figured they got it right when they went with 5 tuners instead of 3? Unless you love locals, which I virtually never use, there isn't much use for PTAT.

+1

Its all relative though. Choose which flavor you prefer.

Can a hopper record 5 Sunday football games at a time?

Truth be told I love to drool over equip as much as any one but really the tech only augments the programming. Again pick your flavor.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#19 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

Does the PS3 reference confirm that the HR44/C41 can be wireless? If so then I will finally upgrade my equipment and re-up my contract.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#20 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:24 AM

Who cares about smaller? In order to match the capabilities of the new hopper, you need to do the following.

4. Add extra C31 box for aforementioned Slingbox to work (unless you want to tie up the HR44 for remote viewings on the Slingbox)

When you add in those 4 extra boxes and cords to match what one Hopper does with one box, the whole "smaller form factor" kinda loses it's appeal (not to mention the extra cost and hassle of all those extra boxes).

Someone else asked my first question about the hd...

As for the other points..

I think your short cutting a few things there. Can the hopper offload shows from a second hopper without sling? Does the hopper work with other older dvrs? Part of the reason Direct went with the nomad, I think, is so they could have any of their hd dvrs work with it, rather than having to build extra stuff and use more resources on the dvr itself, and limit that type of feature to only certain models, which is what Dish has done. Dish is forcing customers to upgrade their entire systems for most these features, where as Directv is taking a different route. Add a nomad, and enabling streaming directly to mobile devices via ip rather than from your boxes. And they are doing all that without requiring you to go to a genie system if you don't want to. So why would they try and build a sling into the genie when they already are working on more reliable solutions. Sling remote streaming depends on your own personal upload speeds. Directvs solutions do not, and that's a big deal for a lot of people, especially those without fios.

As someone else said, I wouldn't be surprised if before long, Directv allows streaming of most channels and most on demand content directly to the ipad without the need to use a directv box at all. That won't take away from the nomads purpose though, as that to me is all about your recorded content. However, they are obviously already moving towards these solutions. Does Dish allow you to stream channels live to your ipad just for having service with them without regard for what equipment you have? I don't know the answer to that, I am curious if they have a solution for those without the new hopper.

spam firewall