Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CES 2013: Engadget posts a hands on for the HR44

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

I see that it has built in wi-fi, but I didn't see any mention about the C41 client that I have read about. Is the C41 supposed to be wireless?
Also, will a Genie client see more than one Genie Server at the same time?
The reason that I ask is, I was thinking about upgrading one of my HR24's to a HR44 when it comes out.
I have a HR34 and four HR24's to serve HDTV's. If I replaced one of the 24's with the HR44, I would gain a tuner, but need a client box to serve one of the TV's that a HR24 is at.
I was just wondering if a client can see more than one server at one time, or do you choose the server that the client box is fed from?

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   kb122

kb122

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Does the PS3 reference confirm that the HR44/C41 can be wireless? If so then I will finally upgrade my equipment and re-up my contract.

Doubt it - The PS3's wireless is pretty bad, and it's only 802.11g. The HR44 has integrated wifi according to that article, though, so we'll see.

I'm currently using a C31 as a wireless client - hooked up to a CCK-W which is connected to my 5GHz 802.11n network. It's not supported by DIRECTV, but it works.

#23 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

I wonder if you will be able to specifically order one.

#24 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

I wonder if you will be able to specifically order one.

Might not can from DTV directly, you know how that can be, but you can get it from Solid Signal or a dealer, and pay the going rate, I bet.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#25 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

Did DirecTV introduce or talk about any other "New" stuff at CES?

I"m still hoping for better software (shorter reboot times, faster response to remote, etc)

#26 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,007 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

I was just wondering if a client can see more than one server at one time, or do you choose the server that the client box is fed from?

Currently it is DirecTV policy to only permit one Genie per account, so adding a second one is not an option right now. I'm making an assumption that this would apply to any combination of HR34/HR44 as long as it is considered a Genie.

#27 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,179 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

BLAH...nothing really exciting about this. And who wants a box that requires a clunky enternal power supply?

That seems quite short sighted.

You don't think a smaller form facter and a faster chip are aren't worth getting excited about?

I was very close to pulling the trigger on an HR34 but now I am willing to wait for the HR44.:)

Edited by SPACEMAKER, 09 January 2013 - 11:15 AM.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#28 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Who cares about smaller? In order to match the capabilities of the new hopper, you need to do the following.

1. Add external 2TB drive to match Hopper's built in 2TB drive
2. Add Nomad box to match Hopper's built in ability for offline viewing on Ipad
3. Add Slingbox to match Hopper's built in Sling capability for remote viewing
4. Add extra C31 box for aforementioned Slingbox to work (unless you want to tie up the HR44 for remote viewings on the Slingbox)

When you add in those 4 extra boxes and cords to match what one Hopper does with one box, the whole "smaller form factor" kinda loses it's appeal (not to mention the extra cost and hassle of all those extra boxes).

Am I missing something here or did D* make a huge mistake and think that there HR34 from last year had all the features needed and didn't need improvement?

I think you are missing the target audience. 90% of customers will never use the Sling feature. Some may use it after they discover the feature but most will never utilize it like many members on this board. This board is not populated by a typical customers. The larger HDD and the Commercial Skip features of the Hopper are the 2 features that actually have broad customer appeal. In fact the 5 tuners vs. 3 tuners and the smaller footrpint will have a much bigger impact on the average customer than the Sling features on Dish. Don't underestimate the value that customers put on aesthetics.

Edited by smitbret, 09 January 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

From the problems reported on here over the past few years, I would tend to say its the hard drive, not the power supply. Ive seen a few power supplies reported, but lots of hard drive failures.

That's not been my experience. The great majority of problems I've had have been with hardware rather than the HDDs. Since the 24s came out, I've only had a problem with one WD HDD, which WD replaced with a better one, and I'm still not really sure that HDD was bad. Just my opinion based on my experiences.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

many other "hiccups" like freezing, rebooting, missed timers, disappearing records could be easily attributes by CPU's overheating also, beside HDD and PSU failures

I've seen more PS failures than HDD failures. I think putting them outside the box is a good idea. Be really nice if they'd put the HDD on the outside. Be even nicer if D* would realize some of us can "refurb" an HR better than their contractors and let us open the boxes.

Take the 24-100 as an example. The cable from the RF(IR?) sensor is stretched across the motherboard and fastened to it with a crimped connector. Stretched taut. Who installs a cable that's just barely long enough and is taut and crimped? I've already had one with the cable pulled out of the crimped connector. I owned it and I knew what was wrong with it and could have easily fixed it, but I got a new 24-500 for it. After what I've recently gone thru with the 500s, I'm kinda sorry I didn't fix the 100.

Rich

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,944 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

What's this talk about connecting a PS3 to the genie? Can you use it as another remote client?

I hope they offer a suitable remote control.

The Sony remote doesn't seem particularly well-suited to DVR control nor can it control a the TV or/or an AVR.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,944 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think you are missing the target audience. 90% of customers will never use the Sling feature. Some may use it after they discover the feature but most will never utilize it like many members on this board.

I'm pretty sure you underestimate the number of Slingbox and Vulkano users there already are in DIRECTV land.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

I hope they offer a suitable remote control.

The Sony remote doesn't seem particularly well-suited to DVR control nor can it control a the TV or/or an AVR.

I tried a PS3 for awhile and you're right, but can't you buy a more DVR friendly remote that would supplant the PS3's controller?

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,944 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

I tried a PS3 for awhile and you're right, but can't you buy a more DVR friendly remote that would supplant the PS3's controller?

The PS3 uses Bluetooth, so it isn't a cakewalk to upgrade as you might with IR.

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,944 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

You don't think a smaller form facter and a faster chip are aren't work getting excited about?

Perhaps, but I'm getting a very large rats nest of wall warts and cabling behind my home entertainment center these days what with all the accessory boxes, powered adapter/converters, numerous hard drives, networking gear and similar.

What they really need to do is make everything run on 9-12VDC so that we can power these devices with a single large supply instead of a bunch of bricks and wall warts.

All the heat sinks in the world aren't going to help if the device is easier to bury deep in a pile of other stuff. I think they ought to consider making these boxes more like the Wii or Boxee Box so that magazines and heat-generating electronic devices can't be piled on so easily.

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

The PS3 uses Bluetooth, so it isn't a cakewalk to upgrade as you might with IR.

It was quite easy getting my Harmony remote working with it. Just needed the adapter. Cost, yes, but I'd still consider it a cakewalk.

#37 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

...Has Dish opened up user access to the second TB? That's a serious question...

On a Hopper 1.25TB is available for the user and 2 2TB external drives (useable on any DVR in the account) can be connected at one time. That's just for one Hopper.

Is the entire 1TB on a Genie drive available to the user?

#38 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,944 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

It was quite easy getting my Harmony remote working with it. Just needed the adapter. Cost, yes, but I'd still consider it a cakewalk.

Yet even with all of that, will it support all of the important buttons for DVR use?

I'm pretty hard core about my skip buttons (something I'm not to enamored with on the Harmony remotes as it is).

The $49.99 street price is no picnic as you admit and it brings another small box and its own wall wart to the rats nest.

#39 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,944 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Is the entire 1TB on a Genie drive available to the user?

There is a significant reserved space.

The number probably started at around 100GB and was bumped up in September.

The move to more channels per transponder will probably offset some of the bump.

#40 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

There is a significant reserved space.

The number probably started at around 100GB and was bumped up in September.

The move to more channels per transponder will probably offset some of the bump.

Maybe I missed this, but ur saying dtv is upping its channels per transponder? Is it because of better compression or something else? And do u know why it change the amount of reserved space on the hdd?

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...