Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CES 2013: Engadget posts a hands on for the HR44

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

Maybe I missed this, but ur saying dtv is upping its channels per transponder? Is it because of better compression or something else? And do u know why it change the amount of reserved space on the hdd?

we had ongoing discussion about 6th and 7th channel on many Ka tpns.
The thread about HR44 :backtotop:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 846 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I don't have an HR34, but I read that they are about as responsive as the other HR DVR's, is the "faster" chip in the HR44 noticeable? Channel load time? Scroll speed? Remote responsiveness?

#43 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I don't have an HR34, but I read that they are about as responsive as the other HR DVR's, is the "faster" chip in the HR44 noticeable? Channel load time? Scroll speed? Remote responsiveness?

I don't have one either but have been told by multiple people that the HR34 is somewhere between the old HR21/22/23s and the HR24 as far as speed goes.

Hopefully the HR44 can keep up with the remote from day 1!

#44 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Did they specify what wireless band will be used with the HR44? I would hope they go with wireless-ac and keep it backwards compatable with older bands.

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

Did they specify what wireless band will be used with the HR44? I would hope they go with wireless-ac and keep it backwards compatable with older bands.

Yes, see FCC link above ...

#46 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I wonder if you will be able to specifically order one.

I doubt it, not based in them saying that its the next gen genie. But I'd wonder if it will be much of a concern for long anyway.

#47 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,971 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

This box looks cool. I'm all for space saving small designs. I mean look at all the power in a modern smartphone like the Galaxy Nexus or iPhone 5. They fit in the palm of your hand and they run all kinds of apps and things flow so smoothly. The graphics generated seem more buttery / liquid / have flow or whatever you want to call it than what comes out of a small pizza box sized receiver. Lower the size, speed up the CPU and make it run cooler. Big plus!

Also they said you can search for shows up to a year in advance? Really, do content providers have a years worth of programming already specified and scheduled a whole year in advance?

The single click on demand is a feature I've been asking for since I first signed up with DirecTV in 2010. Glad they are making that mainstream.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#48 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,132 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Also they said you can search for shows up to a year in advance? Really, do content providers have a years worth of programming already specified and scheduled a whole year in advance.

Not really, most networks still only give out 2 weeks in advanced, some do a month but anything over 2 weeks isn't set in stone. Some networks won't even release the weekend schedule until 3 days prior.

It's mostly Smart Search displaying shows from the entire database and not limiting results to just whatever's on the schedule for the next two weeks. i.e. Body of Proof isn't returning until February, you can search for it and set it to record whenever it returns. The year in advanced is a benefit for things like HBO where some shows have a year between seasons. For things like new fall season shows they won't appear until they are added to the database in late spring or over the summer.

#49 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Perhaps, but I'm getting a very large rats nest of wall warts and cabling behind my home entertainment center these days what with all the accessory boxes, powered adapter/converters, numerous hard drives, networking gear and similar.

What they really need to do is make everything run on 9-12VDC so that we can power these devices with a single large supply instead of a bunch of bricks and wall warts.

All the heat sinks in the world aren't going to help if the device is easier to bury deep in a pile of other stuff. I think they ought to consider making these boxes more like the Wii or Boxee Box so that magazines and heat-generating electronic devices can't be piled on so easily.

Power and heat are getting to be a serious problem. This is probably a brick. I'm torn as to which I dislike most, bricks or warts. At least the warts are getting smaller and thinner - but they still require a less-common right angle power strip to put multiples together.

There is really no need for anybody to make a brick anymore. Apple has proven that 85W can be stuffed into a 1" thick wart (about 3"x3"; lower wattage are smaller). Their cords suck (melt) but the wart part is good design. With a right angle power strip you can stack them side by side.

I don't think we will see a single large® DC supply. What total wattage? There would be different sizes and we would be right back to buying more of them - or upgrading.

Interesting vents along the top edges of the HR44. Maybe consumer electronics need to look at going to vertical format so that convection can be utilized more and with side-by-side stacking there would be less cross-component heating.

#50 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Who cares about smaller? In order to match the capabilities of the new hopper, you need to do the following.

1. Add external 2TB drive to match Hopper's built in 2TB drive
2. Add Nomad box to match Hopper's built in ability for offline viewing on Ipad
3. Add Slingbox to match Hopper's built in Sling capability for remote viewing
4. Add extra C31 box for aforementioned Slingbox to work (unless you want to tie up the HR44 for remote viewings on the Slingbox)

When you add in those 4 extra boxes and cords to match what one Hopper does with one box, the whole "smaller form factor" kinda loses it's appeal (not to mention the extra cost and hassle of all those extra boxes).

Am I missing something here or did D* make a huge mistake and think that there HR34 from last year had all the features needed and didn't need improvement?

Actually Nomad would exceed the Hopper in that respect. You off load the recordings onto the device (tablet, phone, laptop, etc.) and don't need an internet connection to watch the recording. In this case Nomad would satisfy both 2. & 3.

As for 4. in your list; DIRECTV Anywhere meets that criteria. And, you don’t have to have an HR44 to use it.

If someone needs the added capacity they could install a 4TB eSATA drive. And let’s face it, most people don’t need to store more than 200 hours of HD, but if they did they could have double the capacity of the Hopper. I don’t know about you but I delete recordings after I watch them so 200+ hours of HD is more than enough for me.

So, in reality you’d only need to add the Nomad and if you really needed the space, the eSATA drive. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Actually Nomad would exceed the Hopper in that respect. You off load the recordings onto the device (tablet, phone, laptop, etc.) and don't need an internet connection to watch the recording. In this case Nomad would satisfy both 2. & 3.

As for 4. in your list; DIRECTV Anywhere meets that criteria. And, you don’t have to have an HR44 to use it.

If someone needs the added capacity they could install a 4TB eSATA drive. And let’s face it, most people don’t need to store more than 200 hours of HD, but if they did they could have double the capacity of the Hopper. I don’t know about you but I delete recordings after I watch them so 200+ hours of HD is more than enough for me.

So, in reality you’d only need to add the Nomad and if you really needed the space, the eSATA drive. ;)

Mike

Correct Mike.

Having seen Dish's Sling with Hopper firsthand in detail here at CES, and having asked a variety of questions of onsite engineering leads in their booth...once folks got past the marketing propaganda...the devil was indeed in the details, especially with a number of limitations for the Dish offering intended to compete with DirecTV's nomad.

The Sling with Hopper HD DVR boasts a 2TB drive, but a portion of that capacity is not actually usable for customer recordings. Both the DirecTV and Dish storage capacities can be augmented to larger sizes.

Having used nomad for some time, and now closely seen what Dish will offer about 1/17/13...it became clear that from a capability and technology standpoint, the Dish offering is roughly 1 year behind nomad in it's evolution and also contains a number of significant user limitations.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#52 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hopefully the RC70 will control Samsung Soundbars or have a learning feature.

#53 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

BLAH...nothing really exciting about this. And who wants a box that requires a clunky enternal power supply?

I do as I don't want an Internal Power Supply that causes Heat which degrades electronics such as the hard drive, etc.

Also, if it dies you can just get a Replacement Power Supply and keep the HR44 with all of it's Recordings. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

From what I know and have learned the HR44 is considerately Faster than all of the other Directv DVRs including the Fast HR24 as far as Channel Load Time, Scroll Speed (Lightning Fast) and Remote Responsiveness due to a Better Faster CPU, etc.

Can't wait to get my hands on one personally!!! :D
Here's My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

I do as I don't want an Internal Power Supply that causes Heat which degrades electronics such as the hard drive, etc.

Also, if it dies you can just get a Replacement Power Supply and keep the HR44 with all of it's Recordings. :)

I'm very skeptical to the point ..will see when customers would benefit for the feature ... if they will :)

#56 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'm very skeptical to the point ..will see when customers would benefit for the feature ... if they will :)

Why be Skeptical when it seems like a Great Idea unless I am missing something!!! :confused:
Here's My Setup

#57 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Why be Skeptical when it seems like a Great Idea unless I am missing something!!! :confused:

Its already in place with h25's. You can get a replacement power supply rather than a whole new receiver.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#58 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Its already in place with h25's. You can get a replacement power supply rather than a whole new receiver.

How do they diagnose that the problem is the power supply?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#59 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

People don't know that simple answer?

Then again...all that has absolutely nothing to do with the thread topic.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#60 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Well I believe if the wall outlet proves to be good and the receiver will not power on there isn't much else that could be wrong. Or the probability is high enough to try a power supply replacement first. Has to be cheaper on average to attempt a power supply replacement first. And I think that component has the highest failure rate and contributes to many other failures which is another reason it was taken out of the receiver. But that's just my opinion, take it for what its worth, which probably isn't much lol.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...