Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

CES 2013: Engadget posts a hands on for the HR44

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

Well I believe if the wall outlet proves to be good and the receiver will not power on there isn't much else that could be wrong. Or the probability is high enough to try a power supply replacement first. Has to be cheaper on average to attempt a power supply replacement first. And I think that component has the highest failure rate and contributes to many other failures which is another reason it was taken out of the receiver. But that's just my opinion, take it for what its worth, which probably isn't much lol.

It gets easier than that, with a green LED to indicate the receiver has power [or not].
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:49 AM

It gets easier than that, with a green LED to indicate the receiver has power [or not].

I had assumed there was about led but wasn't positive so I explained the long version lol. I've never handled an h25/hr44. But an led would make things rather simple. Come to think of it do c31's have leds?

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#63 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

I had assumed there was about led but wasn't positive so I explained the long version lol. I've never handled an h25/hr44. But an led would make things rather simple. Come to think of it do c31's have leds?

Yep, seems like "bricks" come with receivers that have a small LED.
A.K.A VOS

#64 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

The direction of Directv Everywhere is slowly phasing out the need of a Slingbox with their service.

Ha ha, that's a good one. I can just see it now when locals get on Everywhere (which actually is a big if)--every time there is a contract renegotiation, they will want to charge extra for that capability. Every market will have different networks that are capable of Everywhere. What a mess.

And since the main thing I use a Slingbox for is for placeshifting network TV when NFL Sunday Ticket blacks me out--to me it is a huge deal.
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#65 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Registered
  • 706 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Boy, am I SO glad I hadn't bought an HR34 yet!!!! And at LONG LAST, they come up with a different look for a remote!!!! Woo hoo!!! I'm pretty sure by the time they release HR44, one or two of my receivers will be OUT of contract. :D

#66 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Boy, am I SO glad I hadn't bought an HR34 yet!!!! And at LONG LAST, they come up with a different look for a remote!!!! Woo hoo!!! I'm pretty sure by the time they release HR44, one or two of my receivers will be OUT of contract. :D

I am willing to bet you will be changing your tune. The HR44 has a number of inherent problems. The hard drive is far too small, it only has 5 tuners, it offers wireless which everyone knows is unreliable, it has an outside power pack, and the new remote lacks some of the functions and convenience of the old remote. I for one don't want that thing in my Home Theater rack. I will be putting in a HR34 until there is a better offering. One tenth of a second speed increase in the HR44 is not what I call a speed improvement worth getting excited about. Don't forget the HR34 runs the exact same software as the HR44 so both will get the exact same improvements.

Now get back to me when Directv offers a DVR with 8 tuners, 5TB hard drive with recordings transferable, and a remote with Harmony/Logitech like features.

You guys need to wake up. Directv's plan is to only offer one Genie like DVR and one client. They will no longer need knowledgeable installers. All the installer will have to do is stick a dish up , run the coax in, and plug the DVR in. The wireless DVR will find everything else. It will be the prefect system for Joe average or Ma and Pa Kettle. Directv will be abandoning the enthusiast/hobbyist market that made them. Bottom line, this is a case of corporate profit/greed and not supporting the customers who made them. It may not make a difference anyway with RedBox getting into streaming now. It may be that Directv will find they have milked the system for all it is worth, mistreated the customers who made them, and will find out they made improvements too little, too late and someone else is going to eat their lunch. I personally think the greedy networks have pushed their luck too far. Coming technology will go right around them, eliminate the need for them, and there will be new delivery methods.

#67 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

The hard drive is far too small, it only has 5 tuners, it offers wireless which everyone knows is unreliable, it has an outside power pack, and the new remote lacks some of the functions and convenience of the old remote.

Well, you could Buy an HR44 and Replace the 1 TB Drive with a 2 TB Drive.

The Wireless HR44 works without problems from someone I know that has an HR44 and I have lots of Wireless Electronics in my Home Entertainment System that work Flawlessly.

The External Power Supply is a Great Idea in that it Eliminates Heat Internally that would be generated by the PS which will allow the HR44 to last longer and have fewer heat related issues and can be easily Replaced when it goes bad down the road and you will Not Lose Any Recordings.

And it is FAST, Really FAST and everyone has been Bitching about lack of speed for years around here so this DVR should be Welcomed with Open Arms!!! :D

Edited by Richierich, 19 January 2013 - 09:20 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I am willing to bet you will be changing your tune. The HR44 has a number of inherent problems. The hard drive is far too small, it only has 5 tuners, it offers wireless which everyone knows is unreliable, it has an outside power pack, and the new remote lacks some of the functions and convenience of the old remote. [...]

The HR44 will accept an external HDD.

Yes it has 5 tuners, more than most other DVR's.

Wireless is an option, not a requirement.

Outside power brick offers the ability to change power supplies without changing the receiver and losing recordings.

The new remote is RF4CE, which may bring many new options in the future because it is conforming to a standard.

Your inherent problems sound like opinions to me.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#69 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

Or 9tb array even.

#70 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

Or 9tb array even.

WOW!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#71 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

The Wireless HR44 works without problems from someone I know that has an HR44 and I have lots of Wireless Electronics in my Home Entertainment System that work Flawlessly.

The External Power Supply is a Great Idea in that it Eliminates Heat Internally that would be generated by the PS which will allow the HR44 to last longer and have fewer heat related issues and can be easily Replaced when it goes bad down the road and you will Not Lose Any Recordings.

And it is FAST, Really FAST and everyone has been Bitching about lack of speed for years around here so this DVR should be Welcomed with Open Arms!!! :D

I am tired of hearing this heat argument on the power supply. I have a 7 year old ONKYO AVR with an internal power supply in my Home Theater rack. It produces enough heat to fry an egg or steak and I have never had a problem with it. I would say at least 80% of electronics have internal power supplies without a problem.

PS: If Directv would quit kowtowing to the networks locking our recordings to the DVR would not be a problem. Also remember, Directv makes more profit from VOD then it does from programming packages so it is in their best interest to keep selling you movies and not let you keep your recordings. There is nothing in the technology that is keeping our recordings locked to the DVR, it is of Directv's choosing.

Edited by macfan601, 19 January 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#72 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

The HR44 will accept an external HDD.

Yes it has 5 tuners, more than most other DVR's.

Wireless is an option, not a requirement.

Outside power brick offers the ability to change power supplies without changing the receiver and losing recordings.

The new remote is RF4CE, which may bring many new options in the future because it is conforming to a standard.

Your inherent problems sound like opinions to me.

Very true. That is all that matters. I am the customer (and the CUSTOMER is ALWAYS RIGHT and votes with his wallet) and it is my home/Home Theater. I buy what is most advantageous to me and what I like.

#73 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Just so you know, I have had Directv for 12 years (Premier Package) and think it is the best TV service out there. I love their technology, it is their business practices I detest and have a problem with.

Edited by macfan601, 19 January 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#74 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I am tired of hearing this heat argument on the power supply. I have a 7 year old ONKYO AVR with an internal power supply in my Home Theater rack. It produces enough heat to fry an egg or steak and I have never had a problem with it. I would say at least 80% of electronics have internal power supplies without a problem.

I also have a top-of-the line Onkyo AVR here in a rack-mounted Home Theater setup.

Unfortunately, any comparison of that to how a DVR responds to excessive heat is irrelevant, as the HD DVRs have mechanical hard disk drives internally that simply can fail from extended heat issues. It's no accident that significant ventilation design is a critical factor in how these units are constructed.

The power supply and hard drive are the two most vunerable components in an HD DVR over time. The HR44 design has addressed both of these elements.

Circling back to the topic - the HR44 has one of the most innovative designs of any DirecTV HD DVRs to date, including how the hard drive heat is dissipated and the external power supply. No worries for it to be rack mounted here either - any eggs would take quite some time to cook based on temps lower than previous models.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#75 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,818 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

The External Power Supply is a Great Idea in that it Eliminates Heat Internally.....

For those that are testing them, I'm curious to know what the internal temps are?

Thanks

#76 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I also have a top-of-the line Onkyo AVR here in a rack-mounted Home Theater setup.

Unfortunately, any comparison of that to how a DVR responds to excessive heat is irrelevant, as the HD DVRs have mechanical hard disk drives internally that simply can fail from extended heat issues. It's no accident that significant ventilation design is a critical factor in how these units are constructed.

Circling back to the topic - the HR44 has one of the most innovative designs of any DirecTV HD DVRs to date, including how the hard drive heat is dissipated and the external power supply. No worries for it to be rack mounted here either - any eggs would take quite some time to cook based on temps lower than previous models.

OK, you want exact comparison? I have a 5 year old Mac Pro Tower with 4 internal hard drives and an internal power supply that runs 24/7 (to keep my network going) without a problem.

#77 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

For those that are testing them, I'm curious to know what the internal temps are?

Thanks

As with any HD DVR...temperature readings are impacted by the location and ventillation in that location...but they have been seen with temps in the 102-108 degrees F range regularly.

For comparison only, that would place them on average 12-18 degrees lower in internal temps than the HR24's in the same location.

#78 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,990 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Just so you know, I have had Directv for 12 years (Premier Package) and think it is the best TV service out there. I love their technology, it is their business practices I detest and have a problem with.

I see you like to refer to a comment I posted in another thread, though not in full context.

As I read a lot of posts about the 44, I too tend to get the feeling some are a bit over the top, but at the same time, you seem to be as extreme the other direction.

Is the 44 faster? yes.
Is my 34 slow? not really.

Heavy users may find the speed of the 44 more useful than "normal users", if there is such a thing.

My playlist barely exceeds one page. Scrolling through the guide doesn't need to be any faster than I can read.

YMMV
A.K.A VOS

#79 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,110 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

OK, you want exact comparison? I have a 5 year old Mac Pro Tower with 4 internal hard drives and an internal power supply that runs 24/7 (to keep my network going) without a problem.

Bottom line is heat dissipation and ventilation design are quite critical to most consumer electronics - but especially to those with mechanical components. I suspect you have a fan and heat sinks in that PC running 24/7 (as does almost any PC to further prove that point).

So on those fronts, the HR44 is the best HD DVR seen to date in terms of lowering the risk of issues caused by excessive heat.

As for your other opinions of shortcomings:

The HR44 with 5 tuners, a 1TB drive (with the option to expand well beyond that with an external eSata drive), wireless support to place it in almost any home location, and the fastest processor to date places it at the top of available DVR devices with service providers at this time.

Even the latest Dish HD DVR (Sling with Hopper) claims a 2TB drive inside, but only about 1TB is actually available for the end user for scheduled recording content...the rest is used for reserved buffered content of several networks on demand and other systemic storage...questionable in terms of their advertising.

I've used every series HD DVR since the HR20-700 came out in September 2006 (HR20 - HR44)...so any comparisons are all firsthand as an end user.

You are indeed entitled to wish for whatever you want in an HD DVR.

#80 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,185 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I am willing to bet you will be changing your tune. The HR44 has a number of inherent problems. The hard drive is far too small, it only has 5 tuners, it offers wireless which everyone knows is unreliable, it has an outside power pack, and the new remote lacks some of the functions and convenience of the old remote ...

Hi. Wow.

Since I usually prefer to have the "best", if it's affordable, I regularly compare/contrast the different TV & DVR technologies that are currently available. I've yet to find a DVR that exceeds the capabilities of the HR34 (now HR44) for my needs. Now, my high-end needs may not match anyone else's needs, but as I read your post, I wonder, because I'm under the impression that the HR44 is leading in the "high-end" space at the moment when I consider DirecTV, Dish, FiOS, my cable offerings, and TiVo ... all of which are available to me. And I've thoroughly researched this several times.

To review your points ...

Harddrive ... "The hard drive is far too small" ... while it comes with 1 TB, which meets my needs because I intend to have multiple, one per family member, once multiples are supported, others here have shown that very large eSATA implementations, even RAID, can be enabled. DirecTV just recently removed the 2TB restriction, as has been documented by some here at DBSTalk. Again, I don't have a need for it, but for everyone that does, now has a very high-end storage offering with the HR34 or HR44. I also can understand why DirecTV selected 1TB for the base unit, because 200+ hours of HD is probably a good base for J6P. You need to pick a base that's reasonable, but also provide an option for high-end needs.

Tuners ... "it only has 5 tuners" ... yep, that's true, and it seems to be better then everyone else, at least until the FiOS 6-tuner media server ships. For me, it's also better then the Hopper since DirecTV's 5 tuners are totally independent and there's no restriction tied to the major 4 networks, which would be a huge problem for me. I also prefer 5 tuners rather then 8 tuners, so that I can have one HR44 on each side of a SWiM-16 with other receivers, thus an HR44 and a few speedy H25 clients on each side, or an HR24 if needed. I like the high-end flexibility, where if it was 8 tuners, more then one would make pairing with H25's or HR24's more challenging.

Wireless ... "it offers wireless which everyone knows is unreliable" ... my view is that's just additional flexibility for those that don't want to run hard-wire for the internet connection. The HR44 already supports multiple options for connectivity to the internet, you can hard-wire Ethernet and use the HR44 as the CCK, you can hard-wire Ethernet and use a real CCK for the rest of your receivers, you can use DECA and a real CCK, or now there another option of using wireless. Lot's of high-end options, and also now a wireless option. Lots of flexibility.

Size ... "it has an outside power pack" ... it seems to me that it's the smallest of the high-end DVRs, which I love, especially if I intend to have multiple (once supported). It looks like DirecTV has taken the time to design a better more compact model with less internal heat, which for me, is high-end thinking.

Remote ... "new remote lacks some of the functions and convenience of the old remote" ... you might have something here, but I actually prefer the RC71, though I might be in the minority. It should be considered though that it appears that the thinking was to support high-end two-way protocols, thus some may consider the RC71 as targeting high-end needs.

Well, that's your list, and I'd probably add a few ...

nomad for me is a better high-end sync offering then the sync option in the new Hopper, based on those listing the Hopper sync restrictions from CES. nomad is also compatible with every DirecTV HR2x as well, and who knows what 2013 will bring.

MRV, multiple streams, from any HR2x, HR34, or HR44 through-out the home, it works great for those with high-end needs. The totally decentralized client/server architecture is awesome, especially with those with high-end setups.

Also, the HR44 does IR and RF concurrently, for those with Slingbox needs, it works great, you can use the new RF two-way capability and still have any Sling that you want.

Well, that's it for now, just figured that I'd post, because I always strive for the "best" and I always come to the same conclusion that DirecTV has the best current hardware, and I'll continue to compare as new technology ships ...
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...