Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#226 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

a Genie is a Genie is a Genie, and if both the HR34 and HR44 are out in inventory, you could end up with either one.

I read this statement a couple times in this thread, but the HR34 is available through SolidSignal and other sites. Surely when the HR44 is released, you'll be able to specifically order one from them - albeit possibly not on day 1.

I don't think I've ordered a receiver directly from D* in the last 5 years for exactly this reason.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#227 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,843 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I read this statement a couple times in this thread, but the HR34 is available through SolidSignal and other sites. Surely when the HR44 is released, you'll be able to specifically order one from them - albeit possibly not on day 1.

I don't think I've ordered a receiver directly from D* in the last 5 years for exactly this reason.

Sure, but solid signal can't discount one to be free like DIRECTV can, which is a major consideration for many.

#228 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Just a quick note on this. The hr44 won't be like the HR34, they are built on the same software platform, and are roughly in the exact same stage of development and maturity as is right now. 2nd generation will not have the same, um, troubles, some went through with the HR34 when it fist launched last year.

Says who? What have you been smoke'n? Directv never in my 12 years as a customer has ever put out anything that has not had problems in the beginning. Sorry but I don't drink the company koolade. I do think they are the best TV service out there but they are far from perfect. If what you are saying were true there would be no need to offer the HR44 as it has very little if any real upgrade over the HR34.

#229 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

If what you are saying were true there would be no need to offer the HR44 as it has very little upgrade over the HR34.

Wrong!!!

This Puppy has a Faster CPU and More Hardware Enhancements and if it Wasn't Significantly Better than why would they be offering it as the Next Best Thang!!!

That is why I am Waiting To Get An HR44 versus getting an HR34 Now!!!

Not that for a lot of people the HR34 would be great for their needs.

I'd Rather Wait!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#230 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Wrong!!!

This Puppy has a Faster CPU and More Hardware Enhancements and if it Wasn't Significantly Better than why would they be offering it as the Next Best Thang!!!

That is why I am Waiting To Get An HR44 versus getting an HR34 Now!!!

Not that for a lot of people the HR34 would be great for their needs.

I'd Rather Wait!!! :lol:

I have a bridge for sale. Interested? It is the latest and greatest too. The reports I have read say the HR44 is a 10th of a second faster. You won't even be able to notice that. I sure don't want wireless or that new very limited remote control. The problem is very clear. Directv is now aiming their offerings at Ma and Pa Kettle and not the enthusiasts/hobbyists like they used to. If they wanted to offer a new improved Genie then it needed to have 8 tuners and a 5TB drive. Now while you are trying to figure out what I said, Riddle me this: The rumor is before the year is out Directv will change its protection plan to give you free receiver upgrades every two years. Since Directv won't guarantee what receiver you will get chances are pretty good those will actually be downgrades. But here is the kicker, if you trade in your receiver every two years you have lost all of your recordings every two years. Ya, if Directv says it is the latest and greatest it sure must be. LOL

Edited by macfan601, 17 January 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#231 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

A better question might be this, and answer HONESTLY ...

My view ...

The HR20 was DirecTV's first in-house developed DVR, and it was tweaked with the HR21, HR22, and HR23. The technology and architecture was developed in 2005/2006, and it was the DirecTV leading DVR for a good 3-4 years.

The HR24 is the 2nd generation, it was developed after gathering a good 3-4 years of experience, it's based on 2009 technology, and it's still the standard today for a basic 2-tuner DVR. It's an excellent box, fairly speedy, and there are a few manufacturers, thus the current 2-tuner DVR standard for DirecTV.

The HR34 was DirecTV's first attempt at an HMC/RVU server, and as expected with any first generation implementation, especially when you're inventing a entirely new client/server delivery model (RVU), there was much to be learned and fine tuned in the process. The HR34 was developed with 2010 technology, it was publicly mentioned late 2010, followed by a major public unveiling at CES in January 2011, over 2 years ago.

The HR44 is the 2nd generation HMC/RVU server, probably much has been learned from the HR34 since 2010, it's been updated with 2012 technology (thus a 3 year refresh), and it will be the gold standard (my opinion) going forward. If you listen to what was discussed at CES 2013, there appears to be at least 3 manufacturers lined up, with a full launch in 2013, similar to the HR24 multiple manufacturer concept for the workhorse.

So to answer your question, what would I do in your situation, if I was in no rush, I'd go with the new gold standard, the box with the latest technology, since the next major refresh may be a few years away.

The HR34 was an excellent interim solution, both to compete with the Hopper but also to develop the RVU delivery model, until the HR44 follow-on box is ready, which hopefully is somewhat early in 2013.

That's my honest opinion, based on publicly available information in the forums at DBSTalk.

Edited by Sixto, 17 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#232 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

... The reports I have read say the HR44 is a 10th of a second faster...

Performance is always a very subjective concept, especially for TV viewing, but I'd compare the performance difference between an HR44 vs HR34, as similar to my initial thoughts on the difference between an HR24 vs HR20. I'm not including the HR21/HR22/HR23 in the comparison because they always were slower then the HR20 due to the chipset differences that we've analyzed for years here at DBSTalk.

Now, while I've always thought that the HR24 was significantly faster then the HR20, there are many here at DBSTalk that don't notice or mind the speed difference, thus it's all relative.

While there might tend to be some lag with the HR34, there's virtually zero lag with any function on the HR44.

One person's view ... I've yet to find anything at all to complain about with the HR44, especially when you combine it with speedy H25 clients, and a nice nomad for offline viewing of content on the road. Awesome, and I'm fairly critical.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#233 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I have a bridge for sale. Interested? It is the latest and greatest too. LOL

How much do you want for your Bridge as I have $10,000,000 coming to me from an Investment and that sounds like a DEAL to me!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#234 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Performance is always a very subjective concept, especially for TV viewing, but I'd compare the performance difference between an HR44 vs HR34, as similar to my initial thoughts on the difference between an HR24 vs HR20. I'm not including the HR21/HR22/HR23 in the comparison because they always were slower then the HR20 due to the chipset differences that we've analyzed for years here at DBSTalk.

Now, while I've always thought that the HR24 was significantly faster then the HR20, there are many here at DBSTalk that don't notice or mind the speed difference, thus it's all relative.

While there might tend to be some lag with the HR34, there's virtually zero lag with any function on the HR44.

One person's view ... I've yet to find anything at all to complain about with the HR44, especially when you combine it with speedy H25 clients, and a nice nomad for offline viewing of content on the road. Awesome, and I'm fairly critical.

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Let's agree to disagree. Personally, I wouldn't want the setup you described. My setup is H24, HR24, and HR34. It is perfect for me. The only thing I am going to add to it is an external eSata toaster to my HR34 as I need far more storage and want the ability to easily swap hard drives.

Forgot to mention: One of the thing that bugs me about the H25 and the HR44 is the external power pack. I hate those.

#235 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. Let's agree to disagree. Personally, I wouldn't want the setup you described. My setup is H24, HR24, and HR34. It is perfect for me. The only thing I am going to add to it is an external eSata toaster to my HR34 as I need far more storage and want the ability to easily swap hard drives.

Hmmm. What's to disagree about. You have a great setup.

I lived with almost that exact same setup for the last few years.

The question was to compare the HR44 to the HR34 for a potential new subscriber.

#236 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,843 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:57 AM

Says who? What have you been smoke'n? Directv never in my 12 years as a customer has ever put out anything that has not had problems in the beginning. Sorry but I don't drink the company koolade. I do think they are the best TV service out there but they are far from perfect. If what you are saying were true there would be no need to offer the HR44 as it has very little if any real upgrade over the HR34.

Ok, first, I am not sure what you are trying to say, maybe my post didn't come across right. I was talking about the stability of the hr44 when it hits vs where the HR34 stability was when it hit a year ago. It will not be the same.

Um, check the first look, its no secret I have an hr44 and am using it now. It has for me less issues that my HR34 does, and the issues are minor for me anyway that it has. And some of the largest issues I see posted on all their units is almost always related to speed and responsiveness to the remote and navigating menus, etc. that is something the hr44 has just never suffers from for me. Especially responsiveness.

My point is simply that the stability of this unit is in line with where the HR34 is now. Its not where the HR34 was a year ago when it was released.

From your other posts you seem to think this unit doesn't add anything, speed will be negligible, etc. You will have to play with it someday to really understand, but its just the responsiveness that makes such a massive improvement for me. I like the other receivers I have, and the HR34 is great for me, but compared to the hr44, all I can say is the HR34 just isn't a hr44.

Edited by inkahauts, 18 January 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#237 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

With all the talk of performance ...

Hit MENU, wait for screen to complete. HR34 2.2-2.5 seconds, HR44 .9-1.1 seconds.

Hit GUIDE, similar results.

Neither is slow.

HR24-500 is closer to the HR44 results, but slightly above. 1.2-1.4ish.

H25 is slightly below the HR44, and is clearly the fastest DirecTV receiver, almost instantaneous. Sub 1 second.

#238 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 195 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

So those of us that got an HR34 - how hard is it going to be to convince D* to allow us to "swap" for an HR44? I'm less interested in the responsiveness and more interested in the smaller form factor and external power supply. Heat and space is an issue in my entertainment stand.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#239 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,162 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

So those of us that got an HR34 - how hard is it going to be to convince D* to allow us to "swap" for an HR44? I'm less interested in the responsiveness and more interested in the smaller form factor and external power supply. Heat and space is an issue in my entertainment stand.

Swap for free, IMHO doubtful for at least a couple years, for a price probably as soon as they are available.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#240 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

CUTTING EDGE

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,393 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

I feel obligated to mention again that the HR44-700 is not available right now and I ask that you do not call DIRECTV to ask for one because there has not been a release date yet.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#241 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Swap for free, IMHO doubtful for at least a couple years, for a price probably as soon as they are available.

Though I think Stuart didn't expect that they would be able to guarantee a 44. Unless ordered through a reseller of course.

#242 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 195 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I feel obligated to mention again that the HR44-700 is not available right now and I ask that you do not call DIRECTV to ask for one because there has not been a release date yet.

I understand that. I'm under contract for another year and a half anyway, so I probably won't attempt to do any swapping until I'm closer to being a threat of cancelling.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#243 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,201 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'd love to see a fee-based tiered model-specific upgrade program, but there may not be an appetite for, or a logistics program in place, to implement.

I usually go to Solid Signal for specific needs, especially since when I look at using these technologies over a few years it's usually a good investment.

#244 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'd just like to be able to upgrade to the current level of Genie when the appropriate time comes on the PP once the Texas version goes nationwide.

#245 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Sure, but solid signal can't discount one to be free like DIRECTV can, which is a major consideration for many.

They don't, but you can sometimes convince D* to give you credits equal to the SS price. I've done this twice; once with something I bought at SS and once with something I bought at Circuit City years ago.

SMK

#246 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,112 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I can't really comment on the 20-100, never had one that worked (which can also be said for the 21-100 and the 22-100), but a 20-700 and a 24-500 or 24-100 (that one actually works well) sitting side by side without MRV will be very close when it comes to speed in the Guide, Playlist, etc. Yes the difference is noticeable to me, but it's really so small that I'd discount it as a problem. Put them on MRV (I have ten on MRV) and the 20-700 slows down much more than either of the two 24 models I have. But, if I didn't have the 24s to compare the 20-700s to, I'd probably be quite satisfied. Just an opinion.

Rich

#247 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

How does one input the password for a protected wifi network on the HR44?

#248 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,280 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have a bridge for sale. Interested? It is the latest and greatest too. The reports I have read say the HR44 is a 10th of a second faster. You won't even be able to notice that. I sure don't want wireless or that new very limited remote control. The problem is very clear. Directv is now aiming their offerings at Ma and Pa Kettle and not the enthusiasts/hobbyists like they used to. If they wanted to offer a new improved Genie then it needed to have 8 tuners and a 5TB drive. Now while you are trying to figure out what I said, Riddle me this: The rumor is before the year is out Directv will change its protection plan to give you free receiver upgrades every two years. Since Directv won't guarantee what receiver you will get chances are pretty good those will actually be downgrades. But here is the kicker, if you trade in your receiver every two years you have lost all of your recordings every two years. Ya, if Directv says it is the latest and greatest it sure must be. LOL

Actually, that program is already out there in certain markets (I believe if you sign up for the PP at the new $7.99/month cost, you are "enrolled" in that program).

The Protection Plan has been $5.99 per month for a long time, and it's true, the price is going up. However, for the extra $2 a month, you get a lot more:

• Broken receivers are replaced for any reason. In the past you had to prove that damage was part of normal wear and tear. Now, damage due to accidents is covered. In other words, if your child pours a drink into your receiver.
  • With any receiver, you are eligible for a free upgrade to the latest equipment every two years. This will incur a new two-year commitment, but it's the cheapest way to upgrade.

The idea is that if you currently have a HR22 and the two years comes up you would be able to upgrade to a HR34/HR44.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#249 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,974 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

How does one input the password for a protected wifi network on the HR44?

You can enter it with your remote or if your router has Wireless Protected Setup you don't need to enter it at all.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#250 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Right now my setup consists of two HR24's connected via WholeHome. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance EXCEPT for one thing that bugs me: when I'm fast forwarding/rewinding a program that is stored on the other/remote HR24; the images refresh at a much slower rate than when I'm watching the program locally.

Question for those who have played around with the HR44, and have used HR24's with Whole Home: how do the refresh rates of the HR44's clients compare to the HR24 being viewed remotely from another HR24?

Or for anyone who's played around with HR44 + clients, how do the ff/rwd refresh rates of the clients compare to those of the HR44 viewed locally?

Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...