Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,027 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

I'm guessing sooner rather then later. I'd be surprised if it wasn't in Q1, certainly by Q2 I would think, but just guessing.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#202 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

I would think that by July 1, 2013 we will see it!!! :)

But then again I must say that this is just a Guess on my Part as only Directv knows for sure when they will decide to Release it.

Edited by Richierich, 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#203 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I am Big on Prayer and asking God for Devine Intervention so Who Knows!!! :lol:

:D

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#204 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 793 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

They could let me have a second HR34 to clear out the inventory because mine works just fine.

#205 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,048 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Functionally they are the same, the 44 is faster. . . . .

The true test of a Genie speed is the responds to a remote control command at the top of a prime time hour as the HRx4 stops and starts several recordings.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#206 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

So for someone who just signed up yesterday, I still have time to call and cancel my order/install, should I do so and wait for this new box. I hate knowing I'm getting into DTV as a new customer but yet there is a newer box about to come out that I might not get quite yet. I can wait to sign up again down the road when this thing is released...so should I? :confused:

Edited by chrisjmccord, 17 January 2013 - 07:15 AM.

#207 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,347 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

So for someone who just signed up yesterday, I still have time to call and cancel my order/install, should I do so and wait for this new box. I hate knowing I'm getting into DTV as a new customer but yet there is a newer box about to come out that I might not get quite yet. I can wait to sign up again down the road when this thing is released...so should I? :confused:

:welcome_s

I guess my first question would be do you need the features the 44 has that the 34 doesn't have (I'm assuming you have a 34 about to be installed)?

And of course, soon as you wait to get a 44, the next box will be 'coming soon.'

#208 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

Ultimately it's your call but it seems like there is a new receiver every year, it's kind of like waiting for the next pc or tv. Let us know what you decide.

I have an HR34 and it's very good, I have very few issues and it's faster than the HR22's that I have.

It may be months before this is available and who knows if the deals you got now will be the same when this comes out.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#209 OFFLINE   Kevin L

Kevin L

AllStar

• DBSTalk Club
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Florida

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk.com and DirecTV, Chris.

There's no news about how long you'll be waiting. Plus, as you'll find out when reading through this forum, there's no guarantee what box you'll get from DirecTV, regardless what you're told. The only guarantee is the type of box, an HDDVR can be any of the HR2x boxes and the Genie right now will be the HR34. When the HR44 comes out, it's unlikely you'll be able to designate anything more than a Genie unit.

I still have three HR20-100 units that I've had since they first came out and they are running fine, albeit slower than the newer units. DirecTV still updates and supports them. I'll probably get a 44 when they come out, but the only way I'll be guaranteed a 44 is to "buy" it from a vendor like Solid Signal. I say "buy" because even though I own my HR-20s, new boxes are leased.

Another reason not to wait is to not delay getting DirecTV. DirecTV, though not perfect, is the best TV service I've ever had.

Kevin

#210 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

All good questions guys, thanks for responding. I don't know that I "NEED" the newer features, all be it speed is always better, but I hate buying into something new, with a newer product right there about to come out. Sure I understand technology is always this way, but with this case its literally "right there" about to come out. So since I've waited this long to sign up, whats a few more months or so?

I have lots of questions but I'm not sure you all want me to start asking them here in the HR-44 thread? Is there a thread for noobs that I can post in, and ask all my DTV vs Dish vs UVerse type questions?

#211 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

The official word was "sometime in 2013"...so at this point... :shrug:

My Guess of 3 to 4 months was just my Educated Guess based on the past and could very well be way off base so Buyer Beware!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#212 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,838 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Ultimately it's your call but it seems like there is a new receiver every year, it's kind of like waiting for the next pc or tv. Let us know what you decide.

I have an HR34 and it's very good, I have very few issues and it's faster than the HR22's that I have.

It may be months before this is available and who knows if the deals you got now will be the same when this comes out.

That's a very good and accurate summation.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#213 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,055 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Even if you wait until the HR44 is openly available there is no assurance you will get one. As Kevin L noted, a Genie is a Genie is a Genie, and if both the HR34 and HR44 are out in inventory, you could end up with either one.

Personally, I would go ahead with your install.

#214 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

A better question might be this, and answer HONESTLY, if you were in my shoes, brand new customer, knowing that you could get a newer box if you waited a few months or so, and not necessarily needing to go to DTV right now, because you don't know what you are missing, so waiting is ok (for once in my life), what would you do? You'd probably wait right? Sure sitting where you are now, knowing what DTV is like and thinking what you are missing would make you post to me to jump aboard now, but I'm asking you NOT to do that...imagine not having any DTV experience, well since (1998), and just wanting to maybe wait to see about this new box...what would you do...thats what I'm asking you to try and imagine and think about and tell me.

#215 OFFLINE   chrisjmccord

chrisjmccord

Legend

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Even if you wait until the HR44 is openly available there is no assurance you will get one. As Kevin L noted, a Genie is a Genie is a Genie, and if both the HR34 and HR44 are out in inventory, you could end up with either one.

Personally, I would go ahead with your install.

This is true. But if both are out there and the installer has both on his truck asking for it and getting it would be ideal.
I did ask the sale rep yesterday about it and of course he didn't know anything about it. I'm actually trying not to get hung up on the 34 vs 44 thing and more about if my move to DTV was good if Dish is better or staying with UVerse etc.

#216 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,029 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

A better question might be this, and answer HONESTLY, if you were in my shoes, brand new customer, knowing that you could get a newer box if you waited a few months or so, and not necessarily needing to go to DTV right now, because you don't know what you are missing, so waiting is ok (for once in my life), what would you do? You'd probably wait right? Sure sitting where you are now, knowing what DTV is like and thinking what you are missing would make you post to me to jump aboard now, but I'm asking you NOT to do that...imagine not having any DTV experience, well since (1998), and just wanting to maybe wait to see about this new box...what would you do...thats what I'm asking you to try and imagine and think about and tell me.

If you're one of those that always want to have the latest and greatest, just because it's the latest and greatest then I'd wait, otherwise you'd probably always be second guessing yourself.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#217 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

SOON is a Very Relative Term and has yet to be Defined here at DBSTALK!!! :lol:

Even more so at DirecTV. The Android Nomad app has been "coming soon" for nearly 1.5 years now. Given that DirecTV has said that the 44 will be available in 2013, that's sooner than soon.

#218 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

A better question might be this, and answer HONESTLY, if you were in my shoes, brand new customer, knowing that you could get a newer box if you waited a few months or so, and not necessarily needing to go to DTV right now, because you don't know what you are missing, so waiting is ok (for once in my life), what would you do?

It would largely depend on why I'm moving to DirecTV in the first place. When I became a DirecTV/USSB customer, it was more to get away from Cablevision than it was to become a DirecTV customer. So, there was nothing that was going to make me wait for a newer receiver to come out. So, as a new customer, I would absolutely get the 34.

As an existing customer, with 3 DVR's, I'm probably going to wait because the very few times that I "need" more than 6 tuners to record simultaneously, there are always repeat showings of at least 3 of those programs. So, assigning proper priorities in the scheduler allows me to record everything anyway. I really don't care about PIP until next football season starts. So, as long as the 44 is available by September, I'm not really missing out on anything that I don't already have.

#219 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Another thing to consider: I have a HR34.. It took several months for Directv to get the software straightened out after releasing it. It runs decently now but it is still not perfect. Are you sure you want to go through that? Also when I had it installed the first thing the Directv installer said as he got out of the truck was, I have never installed one of these before. Sure gave me all the confidence in the world in my decision to get a HR34. Today I am glad I got the HR34 but next time I won't be in a hurry to be the first one on the block to get the new equipment. Let some one else be the beta tester and work the bugs out.

#220 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Another thing to consider: I have a HR34.. It took several months for Directv to get the software straightened out after releasing it. It runs decently now but it is still not perfect. Are you sure you want to go through that? Also when I had it installed the first thing the Directv installer said as he got out of the truck was, I have never installed one of these before. Sure gave me all the confidence in the world in my decision to get a HR34. Today I am glad I got the HR34 but next time I won't be in a hurry to be the first one on the block to get the new equipment. Let some one else be the beta tester and work the bugs out.

Just a quick note on this. The hr44 won't be like the HR34, they are built on the same software platform, and are roughly in the exact same stage of development and maturity as is right now. 2nd generation will not have the same, um, troubles, some went through with the HR34 when it fist launched last year.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...