Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

Swap for free, IMHO doubtful for at least a couple years, for a price probably as soon as they are available.

Though I think Stuart didn't expect that they would be able to guarantee a 44. Unless ordered through a reseller of course.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 143 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I feel obligated to mention again that the HR44-700 is not available right now and I ask that you do not call DIRECTV to ask for one because there has not been a release date yet.

I understand that. I'm under contract for another year and a half anyway, so I probably won't attempt to do any swapping until I'm closer to being a threat of cancelling.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#243 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I'd love to see a fee-based tiered model-specific upgrade program, but there may not be an appetite for, or a logistics program in place, to implement.

I usually go to Solid Signal for specific needs, especially since when I look at using these technologies over a few years it's usually a good investment.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#244 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,925 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'd just like to be able to upgrade to the current level of Genie when the appropriate time comes on the PP once the Texas version goes nationwide.

#245 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Sure, but solid signal can't discount one to be free like DIRECTV can, which is a major consideration for many.

They don't, but you can sometimes convince D* to give you credits equal to the SS price. I've done this twice; once with something I bought at SS and once with something I bought at Circuit City years ago.

SMK

#246 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Performance is always a very subjective concept, especially for TV viewing, but I'd compare the performance difference between an HR44 vs HR34, as similar to my initial thoughts on the difference between an HR24 vs HR20. I'm not including the HR21/HR22/HR23 in the comparison because they always were slower then the HR20 due to the chipset differences that we've analyzed for years here at DBSTalk.

Now, while I've always thought that the HR24 was significantly faster then the HR20, there are many here at DBSTalk that don't notice or mind the speed difference, thus it's all relative.

While there might tend to be some lag with the HR34, there's virtually zero lag with any function on the HR44.

One person's view ... I've yet to find anything at all to complain about with the HR44, especially when you combine it with speedy H25 clients, and a nice nomad for offline viewing of content on the road. Awesome, and I'm fairly critical.

I can't really comment on the 20-100, never had one that worked (which can also be said for the 21-100 and the 22-100), but a 20-700 and a 24-500 or 24-100 (that one actually works well) sitting side by side without MRV will be very close when it comes to speed in the Guide, Playlist, etc. Yes the difference is noticeable to me, but it's really so small that I'd discount it as a problem. Put them on MRV (I have ten on MRV) and the 20-700 slows down much more than either of the two 24 models I have. But, if I didn't have the 24s to compare the 20-700s to, I'd probably be quite satisfied. Just an opinion.

Rich

#247 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

How does one input the password for a protected wifi network on the HR44?

#248 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,226 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have a bridge for sale. Interested? It is the latest and greatest too. The reports I have read say the HR44 is a 10th of a second faster. You won't even be able to notice that. I sure don't want wireless or that new very limited remote control. The problem is very clear. Directv is now aiming their offerings at Ma and Pa Kettle and not the enthusiasts/hobbyists like they used to. If they wanted to offer a new improved Genie then it needed to have 8 tuners and a 5TB drive. Now while you are trying to figure out what I said, Riddle me this: The rumor is before the year is out Directv will change its protection plan to give you free receiver upgrades every two years. Since Directv won't guarantee what receiver you will get chances are pretty good those will actually be downgrades. But here is the kicker, if you trade in your receiver every two years you have lost all of your recordings every two years. Ya, if Directv says it is the latest and greatest it sure must be. LOL

Actually, that program is already out there in certain markets (I believe if you sign up for the PP at the new $7.99/month cost, you are "enrolled" in that program).

The Protection Plan has been $5.99 per month for a long time, and it's true, the price is going up. However, for the extra $2 a month, you get a lot more:

• Broken receivers are replaced for any reason. In the past you had to prove that damage was part of normal wear and tear. Now, damage due to accidents is covered. In other words, if your child pours a drink into your receiver.
  • With any receiver, you are eligible for a free upgrade to the latest equipment every two years. This will incur a new two-year commitment, but it's the cheapest way to upgrade.

The idea is that if you currently have a HR22 and the two years comes up you would be able to upgrade to a HR34/HR44.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#249 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

How does one input the password for a protected wifi network on the HR44?

You can enter it with your remote or if your router has Wireless Protected Setup you don't need to enter it at all.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#250 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Right now my setup consists of two HR24's connected via WholeHome. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance EXCEPT for one thing that bugs me: when I'm fast forwarding/rewinding a program that is stored on the other/remote HR24; the images refresh at a much slower rate than when I'm watching the program locally.

Question for those who have played around with the HR44, and have used HR24's with Whole Home: how do the refresh rates of the HR44's clients compare to the HR24 being viewed remotely from another HR24?

Or for anyone who's played around with HR44 + clients, how do the ff/rwd refresh rates of the clients compare to those of the HR44 viewed locally?

Thanks!

#251 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Right now my setup consists of two HR24's connected via WholeHome. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance EXCEPT for one thing that bugs me: when I'm fast forwarding/rewinding a program that is stored on the other/remote HR24; the images refresh at a much slower rate than when I'm watching the program locally.

Question for those who have played around with the HR44, and have used HR24's with Whole Home: how do the refresh rates of the HR44's clients compare to the HR24 being viewed remotely from another HR24?

Or for anyone who's played around with HR44 + clients, how do the ff/rwd refresh rates of the clients compare to those of the HR44 viewed locally?

Thanks!

It seems comparable to my eye. However, and this is just a guess, it could be a function of the MRV functionality (e.g. network functionality) and not which machine is the client and which the server.

Of course I've been wrong before. :grin:

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#252 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

It seems comparable to my eye. However, and this is just a guess, it could be a function of the MRV functionality (e.g. network functionality) and not which machine is the client and which the server.

Of course I've been wrong before. :grin:

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Do you mean ff/rwd refresh rates of HR24 and HR44 clients are comparable, or are you referring to refresh rates of HR44 locally vs. HR44 client?

#253 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks, Mike. Do you mean ff/rwd refresh rates of HR24 and HR44 clients are comparable, or are you referring to refresh rates of HR44 locally vs. HR44 client?

Actually, I don't see any noticeable difference between any MRV session. It doesn't seem to matter which box is the client and which is the server.

This is just subjective observation and a quantitative evaluation. But, my subjective observation is there always seems to be a difference FW/RW between any local recording and MRV session.

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, and keep in mind YMMV. ;)

Mike

µß

#254 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Just think when we(if your old) got up to change the channels by hand.... With all this time stuff, seconds... I find this all to be kinda ridiculous. No offense. My HR34 is working great since the last update, thank god.... I'm usually an early adopter of new tech, yet it took DTV years to get the HR34 to work as it should. With that being said, i wouldn't personally touch the new box for a year plus. Maybe if it was leaps and bounds better, yet seconds.... It just dont justify the side step IMO.

#255 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

That's why I still ride my horse to work too. Them new cars always have some issue and whatnot, but my horse gets me there just fine. A bit slower, but it gets me yonder without problems.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#256 OFFLINE   jagrim

jagrim

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

.............it took DTV years to get the HR34 to work as it should. ...........

Other than some retailers in Dec 2011, DTV was in Feb 2012.
Mine has worked as it should have since I installed it in Dec 2011.

#257 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

Thanks!

Excellent question! My only complaint about MRV is that when using Fast Forward the ‘correction’ when you come out of FFWD over MRV gets longer the longer you FFWD. Once you come out of FFWD and it jumps back it can sometimes be a full 30 seconds or more – then when you try to FFWD again it will jump even further back when it comes out of FFWD.

This is only a problem on a MRV client – it works as expected when watching a local recording.

I haven’t seen an HR34 or HR44 with any clients – C31 or other MRV clients… Is the ‘Auto-Correct’ when you come out of FFWD still screwy with them?

I have 3 HR24-500s that all do this when viewing a recording from any other HR24-500. It was even worse with the HR22s I used to have.

#258 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

My experience is very similar to Mike Bertelsons, overall watchng via MRV versus on the local DVR is very much the same, except that remote commands take slightly longer (noticeable, but not objectionable to my wife or I).

#259 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

My experience is very similar to Mike Bertelsons, overall watchng via MRV versus on the local DVR is very much the same, except that remote commands take slightly longer (noticeable, but not objectionable to my wife or I).

I usually use FFWDx3 - do you use FastForward?

#260 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,666 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

I sometimes use FF 3x (and even 4x if I'm going far enough), but most often use stacked SLIPs to pass commercials.

spam firewall