Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I sometimes use FF 3x (and even 4x if I'm going far enough), but most often use stacked SLIPs to pass commercials.

I haven't had trouble with SLIP but it is a constant problem with the 'auto-correct' (since MRV was in Beta) using FF 3x. The further you FF the bigger the auto-correct.

I just can't seem to get used to SLIP and have been using FFx3 to skip through commercials etc...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   Mr. Tact

Mr. Tact

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Personally, I would prefer to see a 2 TB drive rather than wireless capabilities.

#263 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Other than some retailers in Dec 2011, DTV was in Feb 2012.
Mine has worked as it should have since I installed it in Dec 2011.

Congrats.... I got one 3 months ago and had numerous issues. Referred my bro who had the same issues also... The tech warned me of issues too, yet i ignored. Anyways, it all seems good now since last update, but for me when it comes to DTV i wont get any new tech out of the gate until it shows some serious forward momentum, not just a weak step forward and to the side...and time for them to fix the bugs every unit I have ever owned had.

#264 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

That's why I still ride my horse to work too. Them new cars always have some issue and whatnot, but my horse gets me there just fine. A bit slower, but it gets me yonder without problems.

Awesome! LOOOOOOL!!!!

#265 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Right now my setup consists of two HR24's connected via WholeHome. I'm pretty satisfied with the performance EXCEPT for one thing that bugs me: when I'm fast forwarding/rewinding a program that is stored on the other/remote HR24; the images refresh at a much slower rate than when I'm watching the program locally.

Not quite sure what you mean, but I've got nine 24s on my MRV and don't see any problems with any of them. Perhaps you could clarify?

Rich

#266 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Excellent question! My only complaint about MRV is that when using Fast Forward the ‘correction’ when you come out of FFWD over MRV gets longer the longer you FFWD. Once you come out of FFWD and it jumps back it can sometimes be a full 30 seconds or more – then when you try to FFWD again it will jump even further back when it comes out of FFWD.

This is only a problem on a MRV client – it works as expected when watching a local recording.

I haven’t seen an HR34 or HR44 with any clients – C31 or other MRV clients… Is the ‘Auto-Correct’ when you come out of FFWD still screwy with them?

I have 3 HR24-500s that all do this when viewing a recording from any other HR24-500. It was even worse with the HR22s I used to have.

Never have that problem using the Skip option. If I FF, I usually see a 90 second auto-correct, which is way too long. Easier to Skip, in most instances.

Rich

#267 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

Never have that problem using the Skip option. If I FF, I usually see a 90 second auto-correct, which is way too long. Easier to Skip, in most instances.
Rich

I hardly ever use FF because I just Love the 30 Second Skip Button. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#268 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I usually use FFWDx3 - do you use FastForward?

I think that's the same speed as the 30 Second Skip. The Skip is just easier because it never auto-corrects.

Rich

#269 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think that's the same speed as the 30 Second Skip. The Skip is just easier because it never auto-corrects.
Rich

EXACTLY!!! :D
Here's My Setup

#270 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

EXACTLY!!! :D

I really thought the Skip would be used more than the FF option.

Rich

#271 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I only use slip on sporting events (between pitches/plays). For commercials, it's always ffX3

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#272 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Also skip over ffw for me

JACK,

#273 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I hardly ever use FF because I just Love the 30 Second Skip Button. :)

There's a FF button?? :D

I only use Skip, both forward and backward.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#274 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,613 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

There's a FF button?? :D

I only use Skip, both forward and backward.

I use FF to blow thru half-time during football games. As soon as I see the team on the field, I hit Play and watch in amazement as it goes way back and I have to hit the Skip button 3 or 4 times. They really ought to correct the auto-correct.

Rich

#275 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

I don't know why yours does that Rich. Auto-correct typically backs up about 15 seconds on FFX3. If yours is backing up 1.5 - 2 minutes, there's something wrong.

I've tried using slip, but just don't like it. Regardless of how many times I push it, I either end up watching 15 - 20 seconds of a commercial or I miss 15 - 20 seconds of the program and then have to rewind.

With FFX3, I see zero commercial (unless I choose to) and don't miss any of the program. I get it to stop exactly where I want it to (with the exception of the HR34 which is a bit different).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#276 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

All FFx3 here, and use Skip to skip to tick marks for super fast or to skip to the end of a recording for deletion. The family has the FFx3 timing down fairly well to stop just enough into the recording after a commercial. If timing off, then one back skip usually solves it.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#277 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I always use 30skip which I really miss when using a Samsung RVU client since that remote doesn't have the skip buttons on it. Thinking of just keeping a C31 on that set just because of that.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#278 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Rich

Rich

I use FF to blow thru half-time during football games. As soon as I see the team on the field, I hit Play and watch in amazement as it goes way back and I have to hit the Skip button 3 or 4 times. They really ought to correct the auto-correct.

Rich

Not sure why I like FF but it sounds like you do have the same problem as I do if it auto-corrects 90 seconds! It's only a problem over MRV. There is auto-correct on local recordings but I have those down do I can hit play and it corrects to the right place...

Over MRV the auto-correct gets longer and longer and then you back up and it auto-corrects again - real pain in the backside!

#279 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I don't know why yours does that Rich. Auto-correct typically backs up about 15 seconds on FFX3. If yours is backing up 1.5 - 2 minutes, there's something wrong.

I've tried using slip, but just don't like it. Regardless of how many times I push it, I either end up watching 15 - 20 seconds of a commercial or I miss 15 - 20 seconds of the program and then have to rewind.

With FFX3, I see zero commercial (unless I choose to) and don't miss any of the program. I get it to stop exactly where I want it to (with the exception of the HR34 which is a bit different).

Do you use it over MRV? Like you say it works correctly - but only when I'm watching something recorded on the DVR I'm sitting at. As so as I use on a recording from a different DVR then I'm in Rich's boat - autocorrect is out-of-control!

I'm just hoping that this is fixed with the HR34/44 and works with the C31 clients.

#280 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I use FF to blow thru half-time during football games.
Rich

I thought you were Supposed to Watch the Halftime Show!!! :lol:

Why are you skipping thru it??? :confused:
Here's My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...