Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Not sure why I like FF but it sounds like you do have the same problem as I do if it auto-corrects 90 seconds! It's only a problem over MRV. There is auto-correct on local recordings but I have those down do I can hit play and it corrects to the right place...

Over MRV the auto-correct gets longer and longer and then you back up and it auto-corrects again - real pain in the backside!

I guess the best you can say for it is that it's consistent. There was a time when it worked much better. Probably only lasted for 30 seconds. I dunno. It's a minor annoyance.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Do you use it over MRV? Like you say it works correctly - but only when I'm watching something recorded on the DVR I'm sitting at. As so as I use on a recording from a different DVR then I'm in Rich's boat - autocorrect is out-of-control!

I'm just hoping that this is fixed with the HR34/44 and works with the C31 clients.

I have two 20-700s that are off MRV and used as backups. I haven't watched anything that wasn't on my MRV since I got it. Don't remember if the HRs I recorded the football games on were the HRs that I watched them on. I also FF4 thru the opening talking heads show. If they were, I don't remember not seeing that overly long auto-correct. For the Super Bowl I'll try it.

Rich

#283 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Do you use it over MRV? Like you say it works correctly - but only when I'm watching something recorded on the DVR I'm sitting at. As so as I use on a recording from a different DVR then I'm in Rich's boat - autocorrect is out-of-control!

I'm just hoping that this is fixed with the HR34/44 and works with the C31 clients.

I use FF4 to blow thru the opening crap and go right to the game. Same for half time. I guess you get a different auto-correct time on each level of FF.

Rich

#284 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I thought you were Supposed to Watch the Halftime Show!!! :lol:

Why are you skipping thru it??? :confused:

Don't really know. Just a habit.

Rich

#285 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I currently have 3 HR20's right now so I'm confused on how this thing works.

It says it has 5 tuners.

How do he connections work? Currently I have a multiswitch in the closet and two coax lines feed each DVR.

What about over the air stuff? not sure what the AM21 is or how to use it in this set up.

can you expand the storage above 1TB?
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#286 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,062 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

It says it has 5 tuners.

How do he connections work? Currently I have a multiswitch in the closet and two coax lines feed each DVR.

What about over the air stuff? not sure what the AM21 is or how to use it in this set up.

You need a SWiM multiswitch or lnb, only one cable runs all 5 tuners. AM21 works the same as it does on the older HD DVRs.

You can use an external HDD as large as you want.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#287 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

It says it has 5 tuners.

Read about SWM (single wire multiswitch). Your multiswitch would be replaced with a SWM. All 5 tuners work over a single coax.

AM21 makes anything other than a HR20 behave like an HR20 for OTA. With SWM you can't diplex OTA with sat on the same cable so you would need to use a 2nd coax to feed OTA to the AM21.

External eSATA storage can go much higher - some posts have mentioned 9TB+.

#288 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

With SWM you can't diplex OTA with sat on the same cable so you would need to use a 2nd coax to feed OTA to the AM21.

You can Diplex it into the Cable but you have to know Where to Input it and Where to Ouput it so the Signal is Not Reduced or Increased when it shouldn't be.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#289 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

So thats the remote that has me cussing @ DirecTV every time I hit the pause button in the play list "old habits die hard". Well at least it looks like it should be comfortable in the hand.
HR20-700
HR21-700

#290 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Read about SWM (single wire multiswitch). Your multiswitch would be replaced with a SWM. All 5 tuners work over a single coax.

AM21 makes anything other than a HR20 behave like an HR20 for OTA. With SWM you can't diplex OTA with sat on the same cable so you would need to use a 2nd coax to feed OTA to the AM21.

External eSATA storage can go much higher - some posts have mentioned 9TB+.

hmm...

still confusing too me

does the genie can connected directly to one of the tvs?

how to the other tvs connect to the genie?

if I want OTA, how many coax connections would a room need?

right now, I have the multiswitch in my closet (since all the sat lines go into that closet) and two coax lines are ran to each room. If I want to replace my 3 hd dvrs with this set up and use an OTA antenna, not sure how it works.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#291 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

The Genie connects pretty much like a regular DVR, other than just having one coax connection. It connects to a TV through HDMI etc.

Other receivers access it through the DECA network they aren't plugged into it directly.

#292 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

New and yet still 100 series link limit :(

#293 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:32 AM

I guess the best you can say for it is that it's consistent. There was a time when it worked much better. Probably only lasted for 30 seconds. I dunno. It's a minor annoyance.

Rich

Rich - that's the trouble! It is NOT consistent! If it was consistent you'd be able to adjust and still make it work. It is consistent and does work correctly if you watch a local recording. Over MRV all bets are off!

Can anyone report if this is fixed on the HR43/44/C31?

#294 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,459 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Rich - that's the trouble! It is NOT consistent! If it was consistent you'd be able to adjust and still make it work. It is consistent and does work correctly if you watch a local recording. Over MRV all bets are off!

Can anyone report if this is fixed on the HR43/44/C31?

Seems consistent during football games and baseball games. I rarely use it for anything else. I did try FF4 on a program I recorded on the HR I was watching last night and I still got the long auto-correct. Tried it a few times, but couldn't find a spot to return to (such as when the teams get back on the field after half time). Easy to do with a football game, the best time that I was positive of with a regular program was a bit more than one minute.

Rich

#295 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

You can Diplex it into the Cable but you have to know Where to Input it and Where to Ouput it so the Signal is Not Reduced or Increased when it shouldn't be.

Just to clarify something, Not with deca, which most genie users will likely be using if they use genie clients.

#296 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

hmm...

still confusing too me

does the genie can connected directly to one of the tvs?

how to the other tvs connect to the genie?

if I want OTA, how many coax connections would a room need?

right now, I have the multiswitch in my closet (since all the sat lines go into that closet) and two coax lines are ran to each room. If I want to replace my 3 hd dvrs with this set up and use an OTA antenna, not sure how it works.

You would have one coax to each DIRECTV unit. With swim, you only need one coax and it you can use regular splitters after the lnb of multiswitches to feed other rooms.

Connecting to the TV is the same as any receiver.

You can use genie clients for other tvs in the house after the main one has the genie hooked up to it, which makes all the tvs seem as though they are connected to the genie. One series manager, one to do list, etc.

Since you already have two coax run to every location, you in luck. Just use the second now unused feed to deliver a over the air signal to an am21 connected to the HR34 and you will have over the air everywhere as well, assuming your using genie clients.

One note though, genie has 5 tuners total to use between recording and watching live TV for all tvs Ina genie system, assuming your using clients as well. Also, an am21 will only tune to 2 over the air channels at once, so if you recording 2ota channels, you'd have only 3 sat channels available.

#297 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Solid signal now has a size comparison video and a side by side HR44/HR34 scrolling comparison video.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#298 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Solid signal now has a size comparison video and a side by side HR44/HR34 scrolling comparison video.

The remote alone is enough to make me wanna pass.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#299 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

You can use the RC65 remote or any other universal remote in IR mode. RF is the only time you have to use the RC71.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#300 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Thanks.... Wow - I didn't realize the HR34 was that S... L... O... W... That looks like my old HR22s scrolling through the guide.

Hopefully Solid Signal will be selling, ah, leasing them 'soon'!

spam firewall