Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Wow - I didn't realize the HR34 was that S... L... O... W... That looks like my old HR22s scrolling through the guide.

I've got to question what version of firmware is on that 34, after watching the video.
I rechecked my 34, and using page down [press & hold channel down], "My guide" was no where near that slow.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#302 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,955 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've got to question what version of firmware is on that 34, after watching the video.
I rechecked my 34, and using page down [press & hold channel down], "My guide" was no where near that slow.

I have to agree. My HR34 is much faster than that.

For that matter so is my HR44. I like the video but my HR44 scrolls so fast you can't read it and my 34 isn't far behind.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#303 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Solid signal now has a size comparison video and a side by side HR44/HR34 scrolling comparison video.

Sales rep on the phone didn't know anything about it other than his boss went to CES where he saw them, and a DirecTV rep is coming out to talk to them (maybe about the HR44?) next week.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#304 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Just to clarify something, Not with deca, which most genie users will likely be using if they use genie clients.

I know someone who has done it and as long as you Diplex it out before the cable goes into the DVR where it is upconverted (not the correct term but it is close) then you are good to go.

Deca basically cuts the Frequency in half and then the DVR then doubles it so depending on where you input and output the signal it can be done and has been done.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#305 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I have to agree. My HR34 is much faster than that.

For that matter so is my HR44. I like the video but my HR44 scrolls so fast you can't read it and my 34 isn't far behind.

Scrolling or paging through the Guide at high speed is not relevant to me at all, short of glacial paging. Opening the List or Guide is the most important function to be fast, next to channel change.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#306 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Scrolling or paging through the Guide at high speed is not relevant to me at all, short of glacial paging. Opening the List or Guide is the most important function to be fast, next to channel change.

Well, you wouldn't want to see my 40 Pages of Playlists and it takes a while to assemble them but I am Patient!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#307 OFFLINE   Iwanthd

Iwanthd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Well, you wouldn't want to see my 40 Pages of Playlists and it takes a while to assemble them but I am Patient!!! :lol:

Wow, 40 pages! I have 5 or 6 and feel like I'll never get through them. I don't think I could handle the pressure of all those shows waiting for me;)

#308 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

Seems consistent during football games and baseball games. I rarely use it for anything else. I did try FF4 on a program I recorded on the HR I was watching last night and I still got the long auto-correct. Tried it a few times, but couldn't find a spot to return to (such as when the teams get back on the field after half time). Easy to do with a football game, the best time that I was positive of with a regular program was a bit more than one minute.

Rich

But - if you do the same tests on the receiver that made the recording the autocorrect will be much shorter.... Compared to the autocorrect over MRV.

Also - it is only a problem with MPEG4 recordings over MRV not MPEG2.

#309 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Wow, 40 pages! I have 5 or 6 and feel like I'll never get through them. I don't think I could handle the pressure of all those shows waiting for me;)

I have 7 DVRs with 14 TBs of Storage Capacity!!! :)

I also spend a lot of time performing Maintenance on these Puppies deciding on what to Delete and what to Keep.

It is Not for the Faint Of Heart!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#310 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

After reading through the 13 pages of HR44 vs. HR34 riff-raff I'm 100% sold on the new HR44.

I had an install appointment
for a HR34 plus SWiM 5 LNB (Dish is already there as 2 cabled normal 5-LNB) but thanks to all your great info and videos posted here I have called them back and put the brakes on the upgrade install. The upgrade was only going to cost me like $20 for some type of install document fee. When I called back to cancel, well the D* phone rep was tough, clearly not wanting me to cancel and me thinking... yeah you got a lot of '34 dogs' to get rid of (lol). I ended up telling her my house only has wi-fi connectivity and a new upcoming model dvr-receiver only made sense for my circumstance. She understood and stopped the (re)convincing strategy. This is true but my main area of me wanting to wait is HR44 speed. When I press a button on my remote, I really dislike the lag.

My current HR24 was way faster than my last HR21 and I had a hard time swallowing the fact I was going to a new model (HR34) and most importantly a hard-drive marriage as I stated earlier that almost locks you into staying with that model DVR!.. and it would have slower response times than my HR24?. NOPE! No kandoo.

I already purchased a WD30EURS 3TB and a Rosewill RX-358 V2 External Case for it (was going to be for the HR34 but now it awaits the new HR44!). My owned HR24 with an internal WD 2TB will suffice until this new 44 bad-boy is available. Yes, if I'm updating to a new DVR which basically is "married" for life to the drive, the drive gets upgraded as well. Hopefully this setup will be good until my 4K-display 'bug' swarms in!

I've been a D* subscriber since 1994 (plus I was a D* & D/N retailer and installer up to 2004).

Thanks for this thread!

-Awaiting patiently, 2mos, 6mos... it's all good when it's done right the first time :)

#311 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

But - if you do the same tests on the receiver that made the recording the autocorrect will be much shorter.... Compared to the autocorrect over MRV.

Couldn't tell for sure. Will address this again after Super Bowl.

Also - it is only a problem with MPEG4 recordings over MRV not MPEG2.

Where do you get MPEG2 recordings from? I really don't know.

Rich

#312 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

I have 7 DVRs with 14 TBs of Storage Capacity!!! :)

I also spend a lot of time performing Maintenance on these Puppies deciding on what to Delete and what to Keep.

It is Not for the Faint Of Heart!!! :lol:

Minimalist!!!... :lol:

Rich

#313 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

Rich

You can get MPEG2 from OTA.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#314 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Rich

Sounds good - MPEG2 comes from OTA and/or even SD channels....

Problem is only with MPEG4 over MRV.

#315 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

You can get MPEG2 from OTA.

Ah, never use that. Thanx.

Rich

#316 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,476 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Sounds good - MPEG2 comes from OTA and/or even SD channels....

Don't use OTA or watch SD programming.

Problem is only with MPEG4 over MRV.

Just tried that on one of my 20-700s that is not on MRV and you are correct.

Trick is finding something that you know will come up, like the first kick-off of a football game or the kick-off after half-time. Those are easy to measure. Can't really get that with normal programming. After the Super Bowl, I'll recheck the times. I do have 10 HRs on MRV and don't know if that will agree with your MRV setup. I would think my HRs would have a longer interval of auto-correct than yours. I dunno, it makes sense to me, but logic rarely prevails with these DVRs... :lol:

Rich

#317 OFFLINE   tony4d

tony4d

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Can someone explain how how the input key works on the new remote (now the same key as the enter key at bottom right of number pad)? I'm guessing that unless you are in a context where pressing enter makes sense it will function as input or maybe you have to hold it?

#318 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

It's a press and hold button.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#319 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

It's a press and hold button.

Ah ha! They could do that for PIP! Press and hold the down arrow while watching live TV. ;) :P

#320 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

On my secondary tv (Samsung UN65ES8000) can I just connect a lan (Cat7 cable) between the Sammy and the HR44 and will it communicate as an RVU client?? then call D* and add it as a slave?

My house is wi-fi so I have no lan/cabled network in the dvr-receivers area.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...