Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Using the HR44 as a bridge like that isn't recommended.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,001 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

On my secondary tv (Samsung UN65ES8000) can I just connect a lan (Cat7 cable) between the Sammy and the HR44 and will it communicate as an RVU client?? then call D* and add it as a slave?

My house is wi-fi so I have no lan/cabled network in the dvr-receivers area.

Yes if you have the latest software loaded on the TV that supports RVU clients. DIRECTV will want to come out and install a coax connection to the TV and a DECA-BB and not use ethernet. Sometimes you can sweet talk the CSR into just adding a client to the HR34/44, sometimes you can't and sometimes you can't but they'll waive the installation charge. BTW the TV is smart enough to see if you try to use the built in wireless for RVU and doesn't allow it, says you need to be wired. Guess you could get around that if you used a wireless AP and then connected that to the TV via ethernet, but performance may be hit and miss depending on the other traffic on the wireless net.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#323 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

My friend RAD's solution could work, but a more stable solution might be to use a 1x2 splitter into the HR44 and run a coaxial cable to the TV. Then use a cinema connection kit to bridge it to ethernet from there.

How far away is the TV from where you want to put the HR44? Will it be the only TV attached to the HR44 or are you also going to have a second TV attached directly via HDMI?

#324 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

My friend RAD's solution could work, but a more stable solution might be to use a 1x2 splitter into the HR44 and run a coaxial cable to the TV. Then use a cinema connection kit to bridge it to ethernet from there.

How far away is the TV from where you want to put the HR44? Will it be the only TV attached to the HR44 or are you also going to have a second TV attached directly via HDMI?

HR44 will be on my main 75" set via hdmi (at this location I have a 8-Way amplified Cat-->HDMI splitter (works amazingly w Cat7!) there for other mirrored tv's throughout the house.

The secondary mentioned (Samsung 65 smartv) also is connected via this hdmi network (through lengthy Cat7 cables converted back to hdmi). So I have mirrored video already at this location BUT I'm thinking if I want separate programing there I have to hookup via the tv's built in RVU (less equipment vs. adding a D*box/client).

So I have an additional Cat7 cable (3 going to this set, 2 being used by the hdmi feed). 1 Cat7 free that goes back to the HR44 (and hdmi splitter) area.

I could run a RG6U line between the HR44 and the Sammy (70ft) also but as said, the spare Cat7 already is run between the 2.

Edited by top_speed, 25 January 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#325 OFFLINE   dave94

dave94

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hi,

I get the impression from the tailend of this thread that the HR44 is available. Or does someone have a 'pre-release'? I called DTV and they said HR34 is the current equipment.

I'd like transition to this whole home solution and add a 3rd room. Have 2 pre-whole home HD DVRs. Should I go with the HR34 or wait?

Thanks
Dave

#326 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi,

I get the impression from the tailend of this thread that the HR44 is available. Or does someone have a 'pre-release'? I called DTV and they said HR34 is the current equipment.

I'd like transition to this whole home solution and add a 3rd room. Have 2 pre-whole home HD DVRs. Should I go with the HR34 or wait?

Thanks
Dave

The HR44 is not available. Soon hopefully.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#327 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Hi,

Thanks
Dave

From the very first post:

This product is not available at this time.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#328 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,784 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

My wife said to me the other day "I want the genie!" I said oh really, whys that? She said because you can record 5 things at once!

I convinced her to wait for the HR44. Surprised me though that SHE brought it up!

Needless to say that when the HR44 is available, I have her blessing to get it!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#329 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,104 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

My wife said to me the other day "I want the genie!" I said oh really, whys that? She said because you can record 5 things at once!

I convinced her to wait for the HR44. Surprised me though that SHE brought it up!

Life is good when you both want the same thing. :)

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#330 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,719 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yeah....the other day my wfie and I were watching TV and saw the DirecTV Genie commercial.

I said "I sure would like to have the Genie".

That resulted in an elbow to my ribs.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#331 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

Yeah, that is a Very Hot Commercial that Appeals to those who want more!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#332 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,387 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yeah....the other day my wfie and I were watching TV and saw the DirecTV Genie commercial.

That resulted in an elbow to my ribs.

You sure caught one!

" it would be nice to have Genie in our LR" is
A bit better , but saying you want an HR34 would be unambiguous but not as fun .
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#333 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, I Moaned when I saw Her and that didn't sit Well with my Wifey Poo Poo!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#334 OFFLINE   donyoop

donyoop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, I Moaned when I saw Her and that didn't sit Well with my Wifey Poo Poo!!! :lol:

What is the HR-44 Genie going to look like????

#335 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

Pics in the First Look. See post #1.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#336 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

What is the HR-44 Genie going to look like????

She is Blond and is wearing a Short Skirt and has Large Boo.s Oh Well You Get The Picture!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#337 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

Mini skirt, tiny hips and small A-cups (def NO hour glass figure!) her makeup is wireless and oh... her hot box is external!

...a bit more accurate of above ;)

On a serious note; No I don't have a 44 yet as said it's not out to joe public, my talk was about me canceling the 34 and waiting (and presumption of) for the 44 and wiring as such.

Cheers and patiently awaiting here :)

Edited by top_speed, 26 January 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#338 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I should add, there is no waiting list so don't call/bother DTV. Yes they are pounding the commercials on tv for the genie but it is all for the HR34.

So please call and order an HR34 Genie today!! (yeah I'm trying to soak up back stock so we can get to the 44's)
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#339 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,871 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

As far as I know the only way to get an HR44 (when they come) will be through an online source who is allowed to offer them, not directv. This is currently the only way to get an hr24 now and I expect it to be the same.

#340 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,387 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Even though I understand it's not available, I went to the Solid Signal site, (solidsignal.com) and there it is! (Still unavailable, and clearly marked as such). Bookmarked the page for future reference. Nice!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...