Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   bsather

bsather

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

For those of us who have a HR34 and were to purchase the HR44 online, are we allowed to have both?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#342 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

For those of us who have a HR34 and were to purchase the HR44 online, are we allowed to have both?

We have no idea what the future policy will be. However, right now we can only have one Genie per account.

IMHO, they'll have to change that sooner or later but for now it's the policy.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#343 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

will we be able to specify a 44 when it comes out and we order a new reciver or is going to be classified like a 34 and and its a crap shot like the 21-24 zre
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#344 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,954 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

will we be able to specify a 44 when it comes out and we order a new reciver or is going to be classified like a 34 and and its a crap shot like the 21-24 zre

I have no idea but I'm thinking that both will be considered equivalent.

It might be new installs will get the HR44 because of Wi-Fi. Less work for the install. Along those lines maybe if an existing customer needed Wi-Fi they could specify the HR44.

I'm just guessin' here. We don't know what the policy is going to be yet. When DIRECTV decides to release that info then you can bet you'll here it her first. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#345 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I searched this thread for Pandora and got zero hits.

So does the HR44 handle Pandora like a HR34 or a HR2x?

In other words, can you view a channel while Pandora plays?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#346 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

I searched this thread for Pandora and got zero hits.

So does the HR44 handle Pandora like a HR34 or a HR2x?

In other words, can you view a channel while Pandora plays?

No. You get the Pandora screensaver. The option to view live TV is not there.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#347 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

No. You get the Pandora screensaver. The option to view live TV is not there.

Since one can access Pandora on a laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad and more, is this really a limitation of note? I myself can't see listening to Pandora while the TV is on anyway, but diff strokes.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#348 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,069 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Since one can access Pandora on a laptop, desktop, iPhone, iPad and more, is this really a limitation of note? I myself can't see listening to Pandora while the TV is on anyway, but diff strokes.....

The HR34/44 should have the same Pandora features as the HR2X's whether or not you personally see no need for it.

Edited by RunnerFL, 26 January 2013 - 09:12 PM.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#349 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

I don't use my computer devices for playing music throughout the house while I do chores or cook or pay bills or whatever. I like the sound system hooked up to the TV. So I prefer to use Pandora and Music Share.

My husband used to watch football or hockey while I streamed Pandora, so it was a very nice compromise. But now we can't do that.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#350 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I don't use my computer devices for playing music throughout the house while I do chores or cook or pay bills or whatever. I like the sound system hooked up to the TV. So I prefer to use Pandora and Music Share.

My husband used to watch football or hockey while I streamed Pandora, so it was a very nice compromise. But now we can't do that.

Of course. There will be specific needs such as yours, and I am sorry it limits you and others currently.

May be time for a new AVR? I just bought a Denon for about $400, and it does Pandora all by itself when it's not doing TV duty or Airplay.

#351 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

Of course. There will be specific needs such as yours, and I am sorry it limits you and others currently.

May be time for a new AVR? I just bought a Denon for about $400, and it does Pandora all by itself when it's not doing TV duty or Airplay.

There really isn't any place to put another AVR. The one hooked up to the TV is very good and it is in the family room, which is open to the kitchen and covers the whole main floor. It also covers my office, but I do play my itunes or stream from the desktop when in my office. But most of the time I am in the kitchen or family room, thus wanting to use the sound system in there.

Anyway - don't want to hijack the thread. Thanks for the suggestions!

My Setup

#352 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,215 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

When you are watching your favorite team at an away location, and you're stuck listening to the homie sportscasters. This can get on one's nerves -- especially, when your team is losing.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#353 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I myself can't see listening to Pandora while the TV is on anyway, but diff strokes.....

I can, and I do it often with my HR2x boxes while watching sporting events. I wish I could do so with my HR34.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#354 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,352 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

When you are watching your favorite team at an away location, and you're stuck listening to the homie sportscasters. This can get on one's nerves -- especially, when your team is losing.

But your DIRECTV® Pandora link isn't going to do much good in an away location! Agree some 'casters make a bad game stink....!

#355 OFFLINE   nickff

nickff

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

So, I am not under contract and Directv keeps offering me a free HR34 and install if I re-up.

Obviously, I am more interested in the HR44.

I currently have an HR24, HR22, and H21. I do not have MRV nor do I have the Cinema Connection Kit. It is just the wife and I. She has her DVR in the bedroom and I have mine in the basement. The non-DVR feeds a television in the great room.

I have a couple of questions:

1. In regards to monthly fees, would switching to one HR44 and two clients (I think that is what they are called) save me money?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, is there any benefit to switching to a Genie?

I have read through the respective HR44 and HR34 threads and think I understand the idea (one DVR that feeds the whole house), but I am not sure if I am missing something. I definitely do not understand the pricing structure.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

Pioneer 141FD, Sony 52XBR3, LG 50" something-or-other
Denon 4311, Denon 2112
HR44, HR24, C41
SWM

#356 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

You would not save anything on the monthly bill, you still have an additional TV fee. In your case, replacing two DVRs with one Genie, you'd gain a tuner, PIP etc and have one DVR to manage.

#357 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

You would not save anything on the monthly bill, you still have an additional TV fee. In your case, replacing two DVRs with one Genie, you'd gain a tuner, PIP etc and have one DVR to manage.

And the ability to lose ALL your recordings in one swell foop.

Rich

#358 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

So, I am not under contract and Directv keeps offering me a free HR34 and install if I re-up.

Obviously, I am more interested in the HR44.

I currently have an HR24, HR22, and H21. I do not have MRV nor do I have the Cinema Connection Kit. It is just the wife and I. She has her DVR in the bedroom and I have mine in the basement. The non-DVR feeds a television in the great room.

I have a couple of questions:

1. In regards to monthly fees, would switching to one HR44 and two clients (I think that is what they are called) save me money?

2. If the answer to #1 is no, is there any benefit to switching to a Genie?

I have read through the respective HR44 and HR34 threads and think I understand the idea (one DVR that feeds the whole house), but I am not sure if I am missing something. I definitely do not understand the pricing structure.

You won't save money on the monthly bill going the Genie/clients over what you have now. But if you can get an upgrade for a good price why not replace the HR22 with the HR34 and the H21 with a C31? That way you pick up a net of 2 tuners and the room where the H21 is get's a box with full DVR feature set like pause live TV and all the Internet features only the DVR's have.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#359 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

And the ability to lose ALL your recordings in one swell foop.

Rich

Yes, but it all depends on use. If my DVR went, I'd lose a week or two of stuff. To me, easier management trumps that issue.

#360 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

Yes, but it all depends on use. If my DVR went, I'd lose a week or two of stuff. To me, easier management trumps that issue.

I does depend on usage, obviously. I don't have any problems managing my HR system.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...