Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

Currently I have active an HR24 and an H24. When the HR44 comes out, is it cheaper for it to replace my HR24 or can I just replace my H24 and have 2 DVR's?

Do they charge you another line item for $8 (I think it is) for DVR? I have an $8 Advanced dvr and a $10 Advanced HD charge. Sounds like the DVR is $2 cheaper???

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,810 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

You can have an HR44 and an HR24, no problem. The DVR fee is per account, not per receiver. Your recurring monthly cost should not change if you drop the H24 and add the HR44.

#363 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,389 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

I'm planning on getting the HR44 to replace the HR22 which as everybody knows how dog on slow it is, I hope it stays consistent with the series links and recordings like it always has with the HR22 and reliable without any hardware problems. but it would probably be costly because I'm still on legacy system just like the Genie HR34.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#364 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Watch out D*, cable has a new 6 tuner DVR coming out.

6 stream DVR allows up to 6 programs to be recorded simultaneously

#365 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,601 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Yes, but it will still be run by Cox in the Phoenix area.

#366 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

When cable can match the picture quality, UI experience, and channel selection I get with DirecTV, then we can talk.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#367 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Weird, it says it has a 1TB and yet only has capacity for 125 hrs of HD. Although it comes with optional 500GB (:ewww:) & 2TB drives.

Still, it seems it's using more than half the 1TB for the OS.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#368 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,420 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

Maybe MPEG2?

#369 OFFLINE   unpluggedtech

unpluggedtech

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:24 AM

Grey screen of death is a reference Microsoft's now famous BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) when your PC locks up. Some early clients have a tendenacy to "lock up" and display a grey screen, simply requires a reset of the Genie, however its not the big deal, unless that is you just did an install with a Genie and 5 clients and all of a sudden your customer has NO TV! Yikes

#370 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

You do have to remember that 99.999% of everything is MPEG2 on cable, and their DVRs don't transcode to MPEG4 on the fly to preserve space. That would be too much effort!

Xfinity X1 UI looks fantastic. It has a real nice flow to it. Screen elements have like an iPad / liquid motion modern polished feel to it. Their sports app looks way nicer (and more detailed HD resolution) compared to Scoreguide.

The software can really make or break the experience. By chance most markets deploying some advanced set tops are still running crappy iGuide with its horrendous 520x440 resolution. Passport guide is the most responsive, quick UI I've ever used, but its still only SD 4:3 aspect ratio.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#371 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I am planning on switching from Dish to Direct. Main reason is that I want 5 tuners and the new customer pricing is attractive. Should I wait till the release of the HR44? When it is released will I be able to stipulate the HR44 over the HR34? I only have one TV but I do record a lot. I will miss my external hard drive with Dish. Thanks.

#372 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

I am planning on switching from Dish to Direct. Main reason is that I want 5 tuners and the new customer pricing is attractive. Should I wait till the release of the HR44? When it is released will I be able to stipulate the HR44 over the HR34? I only have one TV but I do record a lot. I will miss my external hard drive with Dish. Thanks.

1: That's really up to you, but you may be waiting a while for the 44

2: Nope. Just like other receivers in the past, the 34 and 44 will be considered 'similar' and you can't specifically request it, but you can get chummy with the installer beforehand and possibly find out when they will have it for install (but don't ask before it's out in your market, or they may get a little annoyed) :)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#373 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

That's not an option through DirecTV, however, you can also look to a partner vendor such as Solid Signal or other place to select the HR44 specifically once it become available. It will be a leased unit just like if you got it through DirecTV.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#374 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

That's not an option through DirecTV, however, you can also look to a partner vendor such as Solid Signal or other place to select the HR44 specifically once it become available. It will be a leased unit just like if you got it through DirecTV.

Oh yeah, forgot about that :) Of course that downside is that you won't get any special deals on pricing. But, if the model is important enough, it's definitely the way to go.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#375 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

I guess what I'm asking, not being familiar with the HR34, do you anticipate the 44 being enough of an upgrade over the 34 to warrant waiting? I'm surprised to be reading all the negative reviews here regarding the 34. Maybe I'm just to dam logical but if "D" is going to design a new DVR and everybody thinks the DVR from "E" is faster, then why not just copy that specific technology from "E" in the first place? Not exactly copy of course but you know it's done all the time. While they are at it, why not design the new DVR to allow an external hard drive to augment the internal hard drive instead of negating it. Seems so simple.

#376 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I guess what I'm asking, not being familiar with the HR34, do you anticipate the 44 being enough of an upgrade over the 34 to warrant waiting?

Except for the smaller foot print/external power brick, built in wireless, coax and TOSLINK DD out and faster UI then they are the same. If any of those items are important to you, or you're one of those folks that just must have the latest/greatest then you should wait otherwise you'll always be second guessing yourself.

But if you want 5 tuners now and the larger hard drive then go for it, it's not as slow as some will make it out to be.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#377 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

They're (DirecTV) priorities are different from ours.
They're interested in "enhancing shareholder value", pushing PPV, that kind of thing.
We like features like our bigger external hard drives but while it works, it's an unsupported feature right now.
Maybe they'll get around to making them supplemental rather than a replacement, just don't hold your breath.
At least their working on DVR speed. While the HR34 won't ever be as fast as the HR44s, it is faster than it used to be and will get speedier with new firmware releases.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#378 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

They're interested in "enhancing shareholder value", pushing PPV, that kind of thing.

Spot on. You sure got that right. +1

#379 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

I guess what I'm asking, not being familiar with the HR34, do you anticipate the 44 being enough of an upgrade over the 34 to warrant waiting? I'm surprised to be reading all the negative reviews here regarding the 34. Maybe I'm just to dam logical but if "D" is going to design a new DVR and everybody thinks the DVR from "E" is faster, then why not just copy that specific technology from "E" in the first place? Not exactly copy of course but you know it's done all the time. While they are at it, why not design the new DVR to allow an external hard drive to augment the internal hard drive instead of negating it. Seems so simple.

If you get a Genie, you'll want to put an external drive on it. Forget about adding the internal to the external drive, tho. The D* HRs do not allow the internal capacity to be added to the external capacity. Apparently, you can put any size HDD on them externally. With 5 tuners, that 1TB internal is gonna get full quickly if your recording habits are anything like mine.

Rich

#380 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

We like features like our bigger external hard drives but while it works, it's an unsupported feature right now.
Maybe they'll get around to making them supplemental rather than a replacement, just don't hold your breath.
At least their working on DVR speed. While the HR34 won't ever be as fast as the HR44s, it is faster than it used to be and will get speedier with new firmware releases.

The external drive (eSATA) is unsupported but even DIRECTV provides some guidance on installing the drive. (Link)

I don’t know for sure but after reading that page, everything else I could find, it is and is likely to remain unsupported. They don’t know what drive & enclosure someone is using and can’t possibly build a large enough knowledge base to support all the possible combinations. I believe it’s especially true after reading the disclaimer…

Please note: We offer this tip because we want to help you get the most out of your DIRECTV experience. It is recommended for advanced users who are comfortable working with electronic hardware. This modification of your DIRECTV system is not officially supported by DIRECTV. DIRECTV, Inc. expressly denies any liability relating to any and all injuries and damages of any and every kind from the use of above equipment. User is responsible for the loss of or damage to the above equipment and assumes the costs and expenses of all necessary servicing and repairs. DIRECTV expressly denies any guarantee or warranty, either express or implied regarding the quality and performance of the above equipment.

As to getting them combined into one volume, I kinda think if they’re not going to support eSATA they’re not going to make that an option. But, that’s just a guess on my part.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

spam firewall