Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

Techs use coaxial cable mappers to figure out which wire is which, available at Lowes or Home Depot.

You can also use a Digital Volt Ohm meter and the terminators off the splitter.

"And then", you can just remove a coax from the splitter and see which receiver loses signal. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

I have swm-8 so there is one wire from the dish to an 8 port green label splitter in my garage.

For swm-16, I've been googling it and it looks like one of those bigger old style switches. Looks like you have to have more than 1 line from the dish? 2 to 4 lines? Is that correct? How is that "Single Wire" if its more like Double or Quad wire. Or am I looking at the wrong thing in google image search?

Not meaning to change the subject... but an HR44 with 5 tuners takes more of the "tuner budget" and needs to be carefully accounted for.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#423 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

"And then", you can just remove a coax from the splitter and see which receiver loses signal. :lol:

;)
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#424 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:35 PM

I have swm-8 so there is one wire from the dish to an 8 port green label splitter in my garage.

For swm-16, I've been googling it and it looks like one of those bigger old style switches. Looks like you have to have more than 1 line from the dish? 2 to 4 lines? Is that correct? How is that "Single Wire" if its more like Double or Quad wire. Or am I looking at the wrong thing in google image search?

Not meaning to change the subject... but an HR44 with 5 tuners takes more of the "tuner budget" and needs to be carefully accounted for.

I don't think you have a SWM8, if you have only one coax from your dish. You have a SWMLNB.
The SWiM-16 has two outputs, and each supports the same 8 tuners as your SWMLNB. The SWM8 & -16 both need four coax from the dish.
A.K.A VOS

#425 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

Guys-you are all awesome!.............Thanks so much for all of the help!!
HR34-700, HR20-700, HR21-100,HR24-500,H24-100, R16-300

#426 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Thanks VOS. I could have confused the terminology. Because I have 8 ports on the splitter I thought that meant swm-8.

So to get more, I likely need an LNB replacement with an extra coax feed down from it?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#427 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,644 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

Thanks VOS. I could have confused the terminology. Because I have 8 ports on the splitter I thought that meant swm-8.

So to get more, I likely need an LNB replacement with an extra coax feed down from it?

If you need more than 8, you'll need to have an LNB with four coax to the SWiM-16, and two coax from the -16.
A.K.A VOS

#428 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

On second thought doesn't the Hr24-500 have an internal Deca? Which means I would need an external Deca or cinema connect with the HR34?

The HR24 does have an internal DECA adapter. However it does not have the ability to bridge your DECA network to your home internet network. Do you currently have whole home DVR? If so do you also have access to On Demand, TV Apps, Pandora, You Tube, etc? If so then you already have a Cincema Connect Kit (CCK, or WCCK) somewhere in your DirecTV system bridging the two networks together. Since you already have that and SWM then the DirecTV computer system knows that they don't have to send you another CCK (or WCCK) to go along with the HR34.

The HR34 doesn't need an external DECA and Ethernet connection will act as the bridge for all your receivers connected to your DECA cloud. It doesn't need the CCK.
Mike

We know this, and some DirecTV techs/CSRs know this, but I'm pretty sure DirecTV's official stance, and the way the installers are supposed to install it, is to still use a CCK and not to use a HR34 as the DECA bridge.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#429 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

The HR24 does have an internal DECA adapter. However it does not have the ability to bridge your DECA network to your home internet network. Do you currently have whole home DVR? If so do you also have access to On Demand, TV Apps, Pandora, You Tube, etc? If so then you already have a Cincema Connect Kit (CCK, or WCCK) somewhere in your DirecTV system bridging the two networks together. Since you already have that and SWM then the DirecTV computer system knows that they don't have to send you another CCK (or WCCK) to go along with the HR34.

We know this, and some DirecTV techs/CSRs know this, but I'm pretty sure DirecTV's official stance, and the way the installers are supposed to install it, is to still use a CCK and not to use a HR34 as the DECA bridge.

I do have whole home DVR and access to all you noted...my HR24 is hardwired to my network.....I don't have a CCK

#430 OFFLINE   Bajanjack

Bajanjack

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

I'm quite certain you're not getting an HR44.

You were right!....Just got my HR34 delivered!.......I'm still a happy camper!

#431 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

For swm-16, I've been googling it and it looks like one of those bigger old style switches. Looks like you have to have more than 1 line from the dish? 2 to 4 lines? Is that correct?

Yes, 4 coax from dish to SWM16.

How is that "Single Wire" if its more like Double or Quad wire. Or am I looking at the wrong thing in google image search?

Four coax from dish to SWM16. Single wire from SWM16 to any given receiver or DVR. So you would still feed a 5 tuner Genie with a single coax (from the SWM16 to the Genie), even though you need 4 coax from the dish to the SWM16.

If you have an SWM LNB, then it's single wire all the way from the dish. But if you have an external SWM8 or SWM16 multiswitch, then the "single wire" part is only from that point out to the receiver(s).

#432 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

No. 1 thing... keep yourself happy! enjoy her :)
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#433 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

And now you know how much a CSR knows. Something to consider when dealing with them.

Rich

#434 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

You can add an external hard drive with any of the DVRs. It replaces the internal drive, doesn't add to the internal storage.

I'm sorry and really don't want to beat a dead horse. It's none of my business why any company decides how to do what they do or why the do it that way. But why oh why did "D" decide, as you say they did, to use a technology that forces an external hard drive to replace the internal hard drive instead of add to the internal hard drive? If that technology is the eSATA connection vs. the USB connection then the question still stands. It seems unlikely that "E" spends more money on their DVR's so I have to assume that cost differences in technology is not a factor.

#435 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

I'm sorry and really don't want to beat a dead horse. It's none of my business why any company decides how to do what they do or why the do it that way. But why oh why did "D" decide, as you say they did, to use a technology that forces an external hard drive to replace the internal hard drive instead of add to the internal hard drive? If that technology is the eSATA connection vs. the USB connection then the question still stands.

The quick answer is that to extend the storage, you'd need to RAID the drives, and the hardware does not support RAID.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#436 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

The quick answer is that to extend the storage, you'd need to RAID the drives, and the hardware does not support RAID.

I don't think they would need to support any kind of RAID - they would just need to update their software to support additional storage on a 2nd drive.

I'm sure in the current software you'd be correct - the system needs to 'think' it is running on one drive. Software updates could fix that but I doubt that is likely to happen but I guess you never know. Current standard DVRs won't support drives over 2TB either. At least with the HR34/44 you can use bigger drives... But still only 1 unfortunately.

#437 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

Directv doesn't officially Support the External Hard Drive so if something happens you are on your own but if Directv allowed you to marry the External Drive to the Internal Drive then if you had problems Directv would have problems saying that they couldn't help fix the problem because they don't officially Support the External Drive.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#438 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I don't think they would need to support any kind of RAID - they would just need to update their software to support additional storage on a 2nd drive.

And just how do you think that multiple drives could be used to create one big space without either software (shiver) or hardware RAID?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#439 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

And just how do you think that multiple drives could be used to create one big space without either software (shiver) or hardware RAID?

Ah, how about an update to the software so it can use extra free space on a 2nd drive to store recordings? Just like I said in my post. I know that is horribly complicated for DirecTV engineers but maybe the borrow a few from somewhere?

I know you like to argue - geez...:grin:

Plenty - ok - I'd think damn near all - operating systems can use multiple hard drives without raid of any kind. Including the OS that DirecTV uses. DirecTV has just chosen not to put that additional space to use.

#440 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Ah, how about an update to the software so it can use extra free space on a 2nd drive to store recordings?

Again, how do you do that without at least software RAID?

I know you like to argue - geez...:grin:

Ummm, no. I just ask questions. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are argumentative.

Plenty - ok - I'd think damn near all - operating systems can use multiple hard drives without raid of any kind.

Not when you're taking 2 devices and combining them to make one space/partition.

Even Tivo's way of "blessing" drives to make them one partition was software RAID.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall