Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,944 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Okay, let's get back to discussing the HR 44

:backtotop

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

Again, how do you do that without at least software RAID?

Ummm, no. I just ask questions. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they are argumentative.

Not when you're taking 2 devices and combining them to make one space/partition.

Even Tivo's way of "blessing" drives to make them one partition was software RAID.

What is so difficult here? If 'this' free space is full then use 'this' free space....

The OS itself has no problem supporting multiple drives.

It doesn't matter how Tivo does it or anyone else for that matter. If DirecTV wanted to support 'Adding' space rather than replacing the internal drive with an external drive it would be a simple thing. It isn't finding a cure for cancer or sending a man to mars. An IBM pc from 1981 could store data in multiple places - and so can DirecTV. They have just chosen not to.

I'd love to have the HR44 support just pluggin in external drives - even if was just like Dish does it....

#443 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,143 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

As Mike said ... eSATA elsewhere.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#444 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

The genie doesn't support an EHD? Do any Direct boxes support EHD? How big is the genie HD, 1 TB?

#445 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,243 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:02 PM

The genie doesn't support an EHD? Do any Direct boxes support EHD? How big is the genie HD, 1 TB?

You absolutely can put an external HDD on the Genie, I don't know what the size limit is because nobody has hit it yet.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#446 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

All of the DirecTV HD DVRs support eSATA drives from the standpoint that they will work. They do not however support them if you call in because of an issue with an eSATA drive.

A Genie has a 1TB drive but will support much greater, no limit, via eSATA. I personally have used up to 12TB on my HR34.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#447 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

Didn't mean to start a @##@#en contest. Just wonder why "E" can do it and it seems logical that many would want it, and "D" doesn't do it. Like Mike said, from a engineering and technical stand point it would be an easy thing to accomplish. For me this very much pertains to the HR44. They made upgrades or changes from the HR34 and this would be a big incentive for me to go for the HR44.

#448 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:00 PM

I had hoped they would change it once they got past the 2TB limit.

I'm sure it just isn't high on their priority list.

Maybe some day.... A guess its one step at a time.:)

#449 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 08:11 PM

Just wonder why "E" can do it and it seems logical that many would want it, and "D" doesn't do it.

It could be something as simple as the same reason they chose black and blue for the GUI colors, they just wanted to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#450 ONLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:18 AM

Just that external power pack alone would create problems space-wise, oh well rearranging would be in order

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#451 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

And just how do you think that multiple drives could be used to create one big space without either software (shiver) or hardware RAID?

Easy to do on the SD TiVos. No RAID required. I think the reason the HDDs are not added together is that D* doesn't want everyone opening the boxes. There is plenty of room in the boxes for an extra bracket that would hold a drive that would couple with the internal drive as the TiVos did. That said, I could care less about the internal drive being wasted. 2TBs of capacity is more than enough for anybody who is not interested in recording every show on TV. I think.

Rich

#452 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Just that external power pack alone would create problems space-wise, oh well rearranging would be in order

Having replaced several power supplies, I'd be happy to see an external brick. I'd get one extra brick, just in case. And, nobody should forget, if the 44 goes south, all the content goes with it. So, even if you have 24TBs of capacity on a 44, it's all gonna be lost. If D* solves that problem, I'd be really happy.

Rich

#453 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Easy to do on the SD TiVos. No RAID required.

If you're referring to "blessing" a drive that is a form of software RAID that created a JBOD volume.

That said, I could care less about the internal drive being wasted. 2TBs of capacity is more than enough for anybody who is not interested in recording every show on TV. I think.

Agreed, don't care about internal being wasted. I'd rather it be wasted then have it die as part of an "expanded set" and take out everything with the external drive is still good. And with the Genies you don't have to stop at 2TB.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#454 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

If you're referring to "blessing" a drive that is a form of software RAID that created a JBOD volume.

Had no idea what I was doing then, just knew how to do it. Even then there were limitations.

Agreed, don't care about internal being wasted. I'd rather it be wasted then have it die as part of an "expanded set" and take out everything with the external drive is still good. And with the Genies you don't have to stop at 2TB.

Yup, that was the problem I encountered with putting 2 drives in the SD TiVos.

We should also keep explaining that, even with that massive RAID setup you have, if the HR goes south, you're gonna lose all the content. The battle to allow us to view content from HDDs recorded withing an account by any HR should be continued even if it seems impossible to win. I think.

Rich

#455 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

We should also keep explaining that, even with that massive RAID setup you have, if the HR goes south, you're gonna lose all the content.

Correct. My RAID setup only protects my recordings if there is a drive failure. I lose them all if the HR itself fails.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#456 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Correct. My RAID setup only protects my recordings if there is a drive failure. I lose them all if the HR itself fails.

And there's the rub. After over 6 years of asking for something that's gotta be relatively simple (I can't back up that statement, don't have the knowledge), wouldn't you think someone would do something about this?

Frustrating, I think.

Rich

#457 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,007 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

And there's the rub. After over 6 years of asking for something that's gotta be relatively simple (I can't back up that statement, don't have the knowledge), wouldn't you think someone would do something about this?

Frustrating, I think.

After this amount of time I would think if they were going to give it to us they would have by now. Sad...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#458 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:06 PM

After this amount of time I would think if they were going to give it to us they would have by now. Sad...

I'm not giving up. I see no reason they can't do it.

Rich

#459 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:59 AM

The battle to allow us to view content from HDDs recorded withing an account by any HR should be continued even if it seems impossible to win. I think.

Rich

My biggest gripe!!
C'mon DTV, let the hard-drive be married to the account not the box!
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#460 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,174 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

My biggest gripe!!
C'mon DTV, let the hard-drive be married to the account not the box!

There you go! We should all express our opinions on this problem.

Problem? Of course it's a problem and a major one. Just lose an HR with a nearly full HDD and you'll understand! Over 6 years and counting. Nothing done. Sad.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...