Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#461 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Having replaced several power supplies, I'd be happy to see an external brick. I'd get one extra brick, just in case. And, nobody should forget, if the 44 goes south, all the content goes with it. So, even if you have 24TBs of capacity on a 44, it's all gonna be lost. If D* solves that problem, I'd be really happy.

Rich

I am not exactly against the expernal power supply as it does allow easy replacements if there are to go bad, and it helps get the heat out of the main unit. However, I am not happy with the fact that it seems like they have used some kind of non-standard, or proprietary power connector for it. This can make it extremely annoying to place if the cord is too long/or more likely too short. If they had used some kind of standard connector you would be able to buy longer/shorter cables to replace the original one to get the length you need.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#462 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Having replaced several power supplies, I'd be happy to see an external brick. I'd get one extra brick, just in case. And, nobody should forget, if the 44 goes south, all the content goes with it. So, even if you have 24TBs of capacity on a 44, it's all gonna be lost. If D* solves that problem, I'd be really happy.
Rich

I'm glad to see an External Power Supply and now if we could just get a Plug n Play Swappable Internal Hard Drive then we would be in business. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#463 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

There you go! We should all express our opinions on this problem.

Problem? Of course it's a problem and a major one. Just lose an HR with a nearly full HDD and you'll understand! Over 6 years and counting. Nothing done. Sad.

Rich

Duly noted.

So, DTV...Please PLEASE PALEEASE; reflash the 44 so the keys are not embedded to each other but rather upon activation/reactivation to our account??

This has got to be so easy-peasy compared to launching a bird 22,380 miles above earth!
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#464 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

Duly noted.

So, DTV...Please PLEASE PALEEASE; reflash the 44 so the keys are not embedded to each other but rather upon activation/reactivation to our account??

This has got to be so easy-peasy compared to launching a bird 22,380 miles above earth!

+1000.

It is so easy I could do it and I am a Caveman!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#465 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

I am not exactly against the expernal power supply as it does allow easy replacements if there are to go bad, and it helps get the heat out of the main unit. However, I am not happy with the fact that it seems like they have used some kind of non-standard, or proprietary power connector for it. This can make it extremely annoying to place if the cord is too long/or more likely too short. If they had used some kind of standard connector you would be able to buy longer/shorter cables to replace the original one to get the length you need.

Yeah, and I also noticed on the latest installation video that the power plug has a proprietary locking mechanism to prevent it from easily being kicked out of the socket or something. A good idea for a more secure power connection than a mere barrel plug, but remember not to make the mistake of trying to quickly remove it by just yanking on the cord. An outer sleeve on the plug itself must be pulled back first to release the lock before the plug can be removed.

#466 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

There you go! We should all express our opinions on this problem.

Problem? Of course it's a problem and a major one. Just lose an HR with a nearly full HDD and you'll understand! Over 6 years and counting. Nothing done. Sad.
Rich

I have lost Recordings due to a Bad Hard Drive twice and once Directv Reformatted my Drive on my HR24-500 and I lost all of my Recordings and didn't even have a chance to respond to a message that I didn't want my Drive Reformatted. :nono2:

It would be relatively easy to do as all of the RID #s associated with all of your DVRs are on Directv's Authentication Server which also has your Account #!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#467 OFFLINE   franklin_planner

franklin_planner

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:43 PM

What are the chances we can have an HR34 AND an HR44 on one account??

I want 10 tuners! :eek2:

#468 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

For the present apparently, as far as known, no chance, as the DIRECTV policy is one HMC DVR per household. Outside of maybe a fluke occurrence like when a ("very") few subscribers managed to acquire and maintain activation of two HR34s on their account.

#469 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,960 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Right now, none. Someday, I expect it.

#470 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:08 PM

you can have 10 tuners just use a genie, 2 hddvr's and a hd receiver and wholaa you got 10 :lol:
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#471 OFFLINE   rd76

rd76

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

Not impressed with the same thing. To me this is just a commodity and I'll just shop for the best price when it comes down to it. Espn looks the same on all the providers...

#472 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:14 AM

Not impressed with the same thing. To me this is just a commodity and I'll just shop for the best price when it comes down to it.

To me it is different and enough so that I'm waiting on it vs.getting the HR34 installed like weeks ago for free.

Faster processor alone (in the world of computers anyway) also means new model names/numbers as well. Now chuck in the fact that the HR44 also has wi-fi connectivity and an external power slab.... you now have some additional perks as well. :)

Espn looks the same on all the providers...

If you think this way then you might as well also view your webpages on an old 386 computer. Why? well because dbstalk.com also looks the same on both! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So Yes, I agree with your statement that ESPN will look the same on both DVR's but does that really mean anything? Well readers choice I guess but when I'm scrolling up/down in the guide (or channels) I'll bet that I get there way faster and smoother than you!

Cheers
http://t3.gstatic.co...skkTzDlxGrLUKZE

#473 OFFLINE   hdtvluvr

hdtvluvr

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 07:52 PM

Duly noted.

+1

And allow users to move content from old receivers to the new one before deactivation.

#474 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

My biggest gripe!!
C'mon DTV, let the hard-drive be married to the account not the box!

So I'll say it twice: YOU CAN CAY THAT AGAIN! Until that happens, DTV is committing a major crime against its customers, say I.

#475 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

I feel like we may beating a dead horse but hopefully DTV will start to listen to us paying customers! This has got to be the No.1 gripe with their (us) "DVR Customers".

Personally- I would also LOVE the ability to create folders (like "Movies, Sports, Debbies Soaps, Lil Johnnies Stuff, etc...) with a move & drop button capability. Again, not that big of deal software-programming wise.

#476 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I feel like we may beating a dead horse but hopefully DTV will start to listen to us paying customers! This has got to be the No.1 gripe with their (us) "DVR Customers".

Well, I spoke to a Directv Employee while at CES who is very much in the know of things at Directv and how the Politics and Policies work and dictate what Directv will and will not do or can not do and I was told in no uncertain terms that "It ain't gonna happen!!!".

I asked why and he stated he couldn't get into the details of it but he assured me that it wouldn't happen even though he thought it would be a Great Thing for certain Directv Customers who want it badly. :nono2:
Here's My Setup

#477 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,649 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:43 AM

I'm still hoping its a not going to happen like DLB.

#478 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:02 AM

Well, I spoke to a Directv Employee while at CES who is very much in the know of things at Directv and how the Politics and Policies work and dictate what Directv will and will not do or can not do and I was told in no uncertain terms that "It ain't gonna happen!!!".

I asked why and he stated he couldn't get into the details of it but he assured me that it wouldn't happen even though he thought it would be a Great Thing for certain Directv Customers who want it badly. :nono2:

Well without any definite information as to why not, I will still hold sum hope :)

Prob didn't ask him about folder creations/organization but that as said is 2nd on my (reflash) HR44 wish list.

#479 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

Fact is that there have been literally hundreds of suggestions since the HD DVRs came out, and many of them were not only heard, but deployed. So people do listen.

As a major advocate of archiving, I've authored multiple polls, multiple threads, and various discussions on this topic that support a strong desire of this capability in the past. It is a known desire at DirecTV - heard that directly from a senior engineer. Maybe some day that will happen.

All that said, functional decisions are typically governed by alot more than meets the eye of users. There are regulatory, business, technical, and other considerations at times.

Back on topic.

The HR44-700 Genie as it sits now is simply an amazing unit, and performs like the flagship HD DVR that it is.

Much like its cousin the HR34 Genie ...it expands the choices and options for the viewing experience. Then again...not everyone needs a DVR with 5 tuners. It's for that reason the HR44 is just one of multiple choices to experience HD DVR operations in the home.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#480 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:40 AM

The HR44-700 Genie as it sits now is simply an amazing unit, and performs like the flagship HD DVR that it is.

Yes, it seems like this is the Future for Directv happening now and it looks like a Very Positive Future as this DVR solves a lot of problems that DVRs have had in the Past. :D
Here's My Setup

spam firewall