Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   alcatholic

alcatholic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Add to that the external power supply being field replaceable now, and if you use an esata drive, its hard to say that the hr44 is a risky venture and that you could be stuck with a real bad unit should it actually break down.

I agree. The external power supply should improve longevity. And going esata should help too, if for no other reason you could periodically swap out the esata drive after cloning the data onto a new drive.

Are there any educated guesses how big an esata hard drive the HR44 would support?

Thank you!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#542 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Are there any educated guesses how big an esata hard drive the HR44 would support?

As big as you can get or build via RAID. Only the HR2X's have the 2TB limit.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#543 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 08:00 AM

...if for no other reason you could periodically swap out the esata drive after cloning the data onto a new drive.

Okay, I'm corn-fused a bit. Why would you want to "periodically" swap out your drive? I get the larger capacity upgrade deal but I am lost on this periodic swap out thingy :confused:

Plus I think (my now capacity of 3TB) well out serves the DVR lifespan (with me upgrading DVR's about every 2 years or so). *IF* the drive could be married to your new DVR then that may be another story. For me, I cannot catch-up on all the things now so archiving is the name of the game. Problem is long(er) term archiving is basically thrown out of the game for us 2-3 year upgrader customers.
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#544 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Okay, I'm corn-fused a bit. Why would you want to "periodically" swap out your drive? I get the larger capacity upgrade deal but I am lost on this periodic swap out thingy :confused:

I don't get it either unless someone fills a drive up and saves it in the hope the HR it was recorded on will last long enough for "archiving" thru filling up drives and then swapping them back and forth.

Plus I think (my now capacity of 3TB) well out serves the DVR lifespan (with me upgrading DVR's about every 2 years or so). *IF* the drive could be married to your new DVR then that may be another story. For me, I cannot catch-up on all the things now so archiving is the name of the game. Problem is long(er) term archiving is basically thrown out of the game for us 2-3 year upgrader customers.

I'm not really sure how long the 24s will last. I've got 9 of them and they seem pretty stable. I've also got three 20-700s that show no sign of dying. I'll probably never get over my distrust of the HRs, but I have to admit everything looks pretty good right now. Much different than it was just a couple years ago. I still think sites such as NetFlix are a much better bet for archiving.

Rich

#545 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

My next door neighbor is getting a new Genie installed (switching from Dish). I just spoke to the installer and asked if they were getting a HR34 or an HR44 because I'm interested in switching also. He said he was installing a HR34 and that I if was interested in a Genie he suggested I wait for a week when they will begin installing the HR44 exclusively. He also said that the HR34 will no longer be serviced. I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that last statement but that's what he said. He was well aware of the differences between the HR34 and the HR44.This is in the Phoenix AZ area.

#546 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

I forget, did anyone post the FCC's C41 (mini-genie client) documents yet? If not here they are:
https://apps.fcc.gov...4&fcc_id=G95C41

Looks like it uses ZigBee wireless technology. The 250k and channels 15,20,25 presented in the test document gives it away.

Must be for the RF remote.

Edited by cypherx, 22 February 2013 - 03:31 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#547 OFFLINE   alcatholic

alcatholic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Sorry about the confusion. I only meant that to guard against hard drive failures, especially with external drives that don't always have the best longevity, one strategy I could use would be to get a new hard drive every 2 years or so.

Of course, it would be smarter, although maybe more expensive to just setup RAID mirroring.

Again, sorry about the confusion, and I admit that swapping out hard drives isn't really standard IT protocol to guard against hard drive failure.

I'll probably just go with RAID mirroring.

BTW, I don't upgrade my DVR's. Once we get an HR44, I'll likely live with it for as long as it lasts. So, all my thinking right now is about making sure I have the best setup for long term archiving of favorite movies and what not. My wife records like crazy and never wants to delete anything! :)

Another update: After researching a bit more (this will be my first DVR with eSATA) it looks like there are WD drives engineered for reliability in DVRs: http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=150

Edited by alcatholic, 22 February 2013 - 08:38 PM.
added more info about my setup needs

#548 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Sorry about the confusion. I only meant that to guard against hard drive failures, especially with external drives that don't always have the best longevity, one strategy I could use would be to get a new hard drive every 2 years or so.

Of course, it would be smarter, although maybe more expensive to just setup RAID mirroring.

Again, sorry about the confusion, and I admit that swapping out hard drives isn't really standard IT protocol to guard against hard drive failure.

I'll probably just go with RAID mirroring.

BTW, I don't upgrade my DVR's. Once we get an HR44, I'll likely live with it for as long as it lasts. So, all my thinking right now is about making sure I have the best setup for long term archiving of favorite movies and what not. My wife records like crazy and never wants to delete anything! :)

Another update: After researching a bit more (this will be my first DVR with eSATA) it looks like there are WD drives engineered for reliability in DVRs: http://www.wdc.com/e...cts.aspx?id=150

If you're gonna use an eSATA on a 44, and want to mirror the drive, RunnerFl has a nice setup and I think his RAID box only costs ~ $100. I don't think he's mirroring, just trying to see how much capacity the 34s have, but the box can be set to RAID 1.

Archiving on an HR is a bit iffy, at best. If/when the HR goes south, you will still lose all your recordings, mirrored or not. The marriage between the HR and it's drives is still in place. Lose the HR, lose all the content recorded on the HDDs. A weakness that D* has yet to address.

The WD EURS models are made specifically for DVRs.

Rich

#549 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,878 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

If you're gonna use an eSATA on a 44, and want to mirror the drive, RunnerFl has a nice setup and I think his RAID box only costs ~ $100. I don't think he's mirroring, just trying to see how much capacity the 34s have, but the box can be set to RAID 1.

I was using the enclosure to mirror 2TB (RAID1) at first but when they lifted the 2TB limit on the HR34 I reconfigured it for 4TB(RAID0) for the space.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#550 OFFLINE   alcatholic

alcatholic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:00 AM

Archiving on an HR is a bit iffy, at best. If/when the HR goes south, you will still lose all your recordings, mirrored or not. The marriage between the HR and it's drives is still in place. Lose the HR, lose all the content recorded on the HDDs. A weakness that D* has yet to address.

The WD EURS models are made specifically for DVRs.

Rich

What kind of failures do DVRs like the HR34/44 experience?

I ask because my R15 failed last December after about 3-4 years from a hard drive failure. At least I think it was a hard drive failure. It got replaced by an R16.

So I'm thinking with an HR44 external hard drive and external power supply there might be a good chance the HR44 itself would last a long time. Heck it even has two remote control interfaces, if I'm not mistaken. A power supply or remote control failure is recoverable and a hard drive failure is theoretically preventable.

I understand D* will likely always marry external drives to the HR. Anyway, it just seems like the HR44 makes investing in long term storage setups more likely to be worth the time and expense.

Thanks for all the info and feedback.

#551 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 February 2013 - 12:10 PM

What kind of failures do DVRs like the HR34/44 experience?

Don't have either one, but if they're like the other HRs, it could be anything. Usually (at least in my experience) it's not the HDDs that fail, it's the HRs themselves for all kinds of reasons

I ask because my R15 failed last December after about 3-4 years from a hard drive failure. At least I think it was a hard drive failure. It got replaced by an R16.

See what I mean? That R15 could have failed for a variety of reasons and yet the HDD gets the blame.

So I'm thinking with an HR44 external hard drive and external power supply there might be a good chance the HR44 itself would last a long time. Heck it even has two remote control interfaces, if I'm not mistaken. A power supply or remote control failure is recoverable and a hard drive failure is theoretically preventable.

I don't think anyone here will be able to tell you how long an HR will last. I've still got three 20-700s that run quite well and they date back to 2007. I've had 20-100s, 21-100s and a 22-100 and none worked. The 22-100 did work for a week. So, I've got a bias against any HR ending in 100. But, now I have three 24-100s that work very well. Go figure.

I understand D* will likely always marry external drives to the HR. Anyway, it just seems like the HR44 makes investing in long term storage setups more likely to be worth the time and expense.

Hmm, if you don't care about expense, I've got a way to do it so you can actually archive content. Still not foolproof, but pretty close.

Rich

#552 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

My first 34 had a bad fan, at least I believe so. It kept overheating, the one I have now in the exact same place has never had an issue.

#553 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

After reading through this thread, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to whether or not the clients are wireless, or just the connection to the network. Can anyone shed some light?

#554 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,324 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

Currently, there are no wireless clients. Just a wireless network.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#555 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,148 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

After reading through this thread, there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to whether or not the clients are wireless, or just the connection to the network. Can anyone shed some light?

The clients are not wireless. The HR44 can connect to your home network via built in wireless, clients connect to the network via coax.

There has been rumor of wireless clients but so far it's just a rumor.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#556 OFFLINE   alcatholic

alcatholic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Hmm, if you don't care about expense, I've got a way to do it so you can actually archive content. Still not foolproof, but pretty close.

Rich

Sounds like my kind of project. I'll send you a PM.

Thank you!

#557 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

FCC Docs for the C41 (PACE model).

https://apps.fcc.gov...4&fcc_id=PGRC41

Still what is the difference between C31 and C41? The reference to the wireless channels, frequencies and data rates on the FCC docs are ZigBee standards. I assume the ZigBee protocol is used for the RF remote control. Did the C31 allow use of an RF remote, or was it IR only?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#558 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,027 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Did the C31 allow use of an RF remote, or was it IR only?

The old RC6XXX series remotes work fine with the C31.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#559 OFFLINE   maerativo

maerativo

• Registered
  • 34 posts
  • LocationN. California

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Rich

I've been trying to figure out how to archive my content for awhile now. I'm planning to upgrade to a HR44 soon. Sounds great!:) I'll PM you.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1996

HR44-500
HR24-500
Roku 3

#560 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

A few comments were made about the 44 possibly being installed at the end of the Month (Feb). Well that has come n gone so I'm just wondering if anyone has one installed yet?
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

Protected By... spam firewall...And...