Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#581 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 07:58 PM

Once I found out about the HR44, I had an idea that the offer for existing users may only be good until the HR34s are cleared out and won't be offered once the HR44s are available.

I'm in Phoenix, any idea if that's one of the 10 test markets?

I think you are going to find the genie is the new standard, and they only want to install genie systems for the most part going forward and that it will now be the focus off all marketing hardware.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#582 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

We don't know for 100% certain what CPU will be in this thing?

I notice some newer Broadcom SoC's state this feature:
"Unique HD FastRTV™ channel change acceleration technology that improves channel change speeds by up to 500 percent"

If the HR44 has that, then faster channel changes by far make it one heck of a wanted upgrade!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#583 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,457 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:45 PM

"Unique HD FastRTV™ channel change acceleration technology that improves channel change speeds by up to 500 percent"

If the HR44 has that, then faster channel changes by far make it one heck of a wanted upgrade!

That would be a Fantastic Upgrade for sure. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#584 OFFLINE   happyfirst

happyfirst

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

Once I found out about the HR44, I had an idea that the offer for existing users may only be good until the HR34s are cleared out and won't be offered once the HR44s are available.

I wonder this too.

I am off contract and have a very enticing offer for uverse.

Called directv, their second offer was a free genie, free install and some $$ offer per month. But now that I know about the 44, do i really want to sign up for two years with a 34? I've read the 34 is potentially even slower than my 24? We've never bothered with any ondemand features even though I've got this "deca" network installed as the directtv internet features have always seemed to be unreliable.

At this point, what I really care about with the 44 is just the faster speed.

Will FL be a test market?

#585 OFFLINE   Folin

Folin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:49 PM

We have 3 x HR24s right now and one H24. One in the family room has a 2TB eSata via a thermaltake blacks duet.

I really like the functionality, overall storage capacity, distributed risk in event of a failure, etc. with this setup. And after some early months of VERY sluggish GUI response, the 24's have been generally very fast, responsive for many months now. But the 44 has me looking for sure.

What does the WiFi do for you vs. whole home thru coax? Maybe I missed it earlier....

Can I swap out an hr24 for a 44 fairly easily?

#586 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:41 PM

You will need a swim16 as well so you will need a service call and install unless you want to spend the money for that yourself.

The wifi is to connect to the Internet without having to connect a separate wifi deca if you don't have an Ethernet connection next to the hr44 to use.

#587 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

That was in a 2010 press release

http://www.broadcom.....php?id=s536672

#588 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

Just received Sound & Vision Magazine yesterday and they had a in depth review of the Genie HR34. Actually it could have been a LOT LOT more in depth for most of us here anyway. Kind of hard to get a handle on how much he really liked it. He mentioned that he already had "D" so the switch wasn't too big a change. He mentioned three things he didn't like. Slow, ran hot, and re-booted too often. He didn't exactly complain about the remote but did mention it was the same old thing. What I found a little strange was that he never mentioned the HR44, which it seems has addressed all three of those complaints plus uses a new more compact remote. If I were a big wig at "D" I would feel a little under whelmed with this review. He could have gone a lot further considering the magazine he was writing for and his level of expertise.

#589 OFFLINE   mark h

mark h

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

Just received Sound & Vision Magazine yesterday and they had a in depth review of the Genie HR34. Actually it could have been a LOT LOT more in depth for most of us here anyway. Kind of hard to get a handle on how much he really liked it. He mentioned that he already had "D" so the switch wasn't too big a change. He mentioned three things he didn't like. Slow, ran hot, and re-booted too often. He didn't exactly complain about the remote but did mention it was the same old thing. What I found a little strange was that he never mentioned the HR44, which it seems has addressed all three of those complaints plus uses a new more compact remote. If I were a big wig at "D" I would feel a little under whelmed with this review. He could have gone a lot further considering the magazine he was writing for and his level of expertise.

You must have missed it but at end of artical he wrote "A newer Genie (HR44) and Mini (CR41) are already in the works,reportedly with a faster processor,built-in wireless ,and new streamlined remote. ..etc."

mark

#590 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Anyone interested in the HR44-500 (Mfg by Humax) FCC documents?
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=667173&fcc_id='O6ZHR44

I know this is the HR44-700 thread, but theres some good detail in the Humax version of the HR44 from our good friends over at the FCC.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#591 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Anyone interested in the HR44-500 (Mfg by Humax) FCC documents?
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=667173&fcc_id='O6ZHR44

I know this is the HR44-700 thread, but theres some good detail in the Humax version of the HR44 from our good friends over at the FCC.

Your link goes to the FCC website but has an error.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#592 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

Your link goes to the FCC website but has an error.

Hmm tried this 3rd attempt loaded on AT&T iphone5.

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 18 March 2013 - 04:28 PM.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#593 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 728 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

Hmm tried this 3rd attempt loaded on AT&T iphone5.

Yeah that is way more information than should be provided. I told someone about that a couple of months ago but apparently it's still up. :nono2:
However it is quite interesting! And if you want to know every single component in the HR44 look no further!
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#594 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:34 PM

Yeah that is way more information than should be provided. I told someone about that a couple of months ago but apparently it's still up. :nono2:
However it is quite interesting! And if you want to know every single component in the HR44 look no further!

Who do you contact at the FCC to have something taken down and is it even possible to force them to remove documents?

IIUC, there is a limited time in which information is maintained confidential but after a certain time period it becomes a matter of public record. I'm not sure it's possible to get them to remove the info after it becomes public record.

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#595 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,643 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:37 PM

That's funny that they're reviewing a DVR that we reviewed in depth over a year ago: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197609
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#596 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

The -700 designation is Pace, right? The -500 is Humax. It's good that at least 2 vendors are building this. That should help get more available than only 1 manufacturer of HR34.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#597 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

Cool Man

• DBSTalk Club
  • 998 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:51 PM

The -700 designation is Pace, right? The -500 is Humax. It's good that at least 2 vendors are building this. That should help get more available than only 1 manufacturer of HR34.

There is also a -200 model out in the wild.

#598 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

Ooh that's right, forgot about that press release. Samsung's my bro!

Sounds like they will be able to hammer these things out as long as Broadcom can keep up with fulfilling orders for its SoC.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#599 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:27 PM

That's funny that they're reviewing a DVR that we reviewed in depth over a year ago: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=197609

yes. I thought that also. On the flip side, it sure seems like the HR34 should have some of those bugs worked out by now. HR44?

#600 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Yup, Samsung makes them. They also made the 24-200, a very good HR that seems to be quite rare.

Rich

spam firewall