Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#601 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:27 AM

Yup, Samsung makes them. They also made the 24-200, a very good HR that seems to be quite rare.

Rich

I've got two. I guess I should feel special. :grin:

(HR24-200s, that is.)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#602 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,695 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yup, Samsung makes them. They also made the 24-200, a very good HR that seems to be quite rare.

Rich

I have one.

#603 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:55 PM

I have HR24-200 and I always felt it to run slightly faster / smoother than a buddies HR24-500.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#604 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have one.

I had one, nice machine, had mechanical difficulties. Haven't seen one since.

Rich

#605 OFFLINE   water1

water1

Legend

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Anyone know if the new remote will control an A/V receiver, in addition to TV, in the on/off sequence?
John

#606 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:15 PM

Anyone know if the new remote will control an A/V receiver, in addition to TV, in the on/off sequence?

The RC71 will only control the power for the DIRECTV receiver and the TV, nothing else.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#607 OFFLINE   AppAlum2003

AppAlum2003

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I got mine installed today.

It will not power off/on all three devices at the same time, just like previous generations.

I was going to try the new remote, but that's a deal-breaker for me.

#608 OFFLINE   top_speed

top_speed

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

I got mine installed today.

Since we've been floating around here with clients n different dvr models.

Are we talking about the HR44?
Directv 'Pioneer Member' since 1994

#609 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,733 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

Is the new remote only shipping with HR44's or will they be the default remote for ALL equipment shipped (SD or HD)?

I never held one but I can't say I like it from looks so far. Would of been nice if it slid out to reveal a QWERTY keyboard for ease of entering text in search boxes or opening up a new world of TV apps.

There's a video showing a QWERTY remote and updated software on the Hopper DVR and it looks real slick. Check YouTube, its posted from the rival satellite site. Dish also has a remote locator feature that beeps the remote. I use a similar feature for my iPhone all the time to find where it is. Wish DirecTV remotes had this.

Edited by cypherx, 02 April 2013 - 08:42 AM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#610 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Is the new remote only shipping with HR44's or will they be the default remote for ALL equipment shipped (SD or HD)?

My understanding is that the RC71 will go with only the HR44 Genie and C41 MiniGenie clients. Remember you can still use the old controls but only in IR mode.

#611 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 03:52 PM

Assuming the regional trials are going as expected, and based on previous similar product releases, can anyone make a good estimate on when we might see Solid Signal selling HR44s for national release?

#612 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

The RC71 will only control the power for the DIRECTV receiver and the TV, nothing else.

This is one aspect I never thought to look at. This seems like a horrible oversight on "D"s part. Not being able to control the sound level through my AV receiver will be more than a little awkward.

#613 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

This is one aspect I never thought to look at. This seems like a horrible oversight on "D"s part. Not being able to control the sound level through my AV receiver will be more than a little awkward.

You can control the volume of your AVR, just not power.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#614 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

You took RAD's statement out of context.
T think that he was referring to the RC71's ability to control power, which is DTV receiver and TV-only, it won't turn an A/V receiver ON and OFF.
The RC71 will however adjust volume on supported A/V receivers.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#615 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

When setting up the AVR you can tell it to lock the volume control to the AVR but once you do that you can't control the TV's volume.

#616 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

You can control the volume of your AVR, just not power.

That still seems like a very short sighted omission on "D"s part. I mean how much would it have taken, or cost, in the design of the company's flagship HD DVR, the HR44, to allow for turning on and off the AVR power? My AVR remote and any TV remote, and all of "E"s remotes and any universal remote can operate multiple devices. The Genie is marketed as a Whole Home DVR and really is an ultra high tech piece of home entertainment equipment. Restricting it this way seems very counter productive, especially considering the quick replacement of the HR34 with the HR44 and still neglecting this feature.

#617 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

That still seems like a very short sighted omission on "D"s part.

Agreed
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#618 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

You took RAD's statement out of context.
T think that he was referring to the RC71's ability to control power, which is DTV receiver and TV-only, it won't turn an A/V receiver ON and OFF.
The RC71 will however adjust volume on supported A/V receivers.

My RC71 will turn off my Denon, TV and DVR with one button push, as well as the obvious, controlling the volume.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#619 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

My RC71 turns on/off my TV and HR44-700, but not my audio receiver. That's OK, because my Panasonic TV turns the Pioneer receiver on/off, via an "HDMI control link".

What I don't have is something that automatically selects the correct input on the Pioneer. If it was last left in DVD mode, e.g., I have to use another remote to reset it to the HR44 input.
/steve

#620 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

My RC71 turns on/off my TV and HR44-700, but not my audio receiver. That's OK, because my Panasonic TV turns the Pioneer receiver on/off, via an "HDMI control link".

What I don't have is something that automatically selects the correct input on the Pioneer. If it was last left in DVD mode, e.g., I have to use another remote to reset it to the HR44 input.

That is a bummer, on my Onkyo and using the old remote I could move the slider and choose my input using the numbers on the remote.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

spam firewall