Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#621 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

That is a bummer, on my Onkyo and using the old remote I could move the slider and choose my input using the numbers on the remote.

Good news is we watch the HR44 99% of the time, so it's very rare I have to change inputs.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#622 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:41 AM

Good news is we watch the HR44 99% of the time, so it's very rare I have to change inputs.

But if you channel your sound through your AVR don't you need to use the AVR's remote to turn on and off your AVR? Some here say they can control the power on/off to their AVR and some say they can't. Confusing. I realize that not everybody uses a AVR but then again, if you don't, you're not realizing the benefits of most broadcast TV being available in 5.1.

#623 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

The ones saying they are powering off their AVR with the remote either are moving the slider over to the AV1/AV2 position and using the power commands, or they have a TV and AVR that have HDMI CEC controls turned on. If they have HDMI CEC controls turned on the remote isn't actually turning the AVR off, the TV is, what happens is the remote tells the TV to turn off and then the TV talks to the receiver over the HDMI cable and tells it to turn off too. If both your TV and AVR don't have HDMI CEC, and have it on, then it isn't going to work.

Once again though I have to say. If you are spending the money on an AVR, speakers, etc. spend the money on a progammable, activity based remote like a Harmony or URC. You won't regret it in the long run.

As far as I'm concerned CES companies should just stop supplying remotes with the devices, just include the IR reciever, and make the IR commands available and let us supply our own remotes. At least maybe on the high end stuff. I honestly have a zip lock bag with about 20 remotes in it just sitting in a tote in my storage room because none of them get used at all. I have 3 Harmony remotes that control everything in all 3 rooms, and it is so much easier.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#624 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

But if you channel your sound through your AVR don't you need to use the AVR's remote to turn on and off your AVR?

What Beerstalker said. My TV actually sends on/off commands to the AVR via HDMI control signals.
/steve

#625 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

What Beerstalker said. My TV actually sends on/off commands to the AVR via HDMI control signals.

As do mine.

Rich

#626 OFFLINE   undertaker67

undertaker67

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Scott need to ask u this question I just had the genie installed is the client faster to respond if in the ir mode or rf can it be setup in ir mode to

#627 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,267 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Scott need to ask u this question I just had the genie installed is the client faster to respond if in the ir mode or rf can it be setup in ir mode to

I have not noticed any speed difference between IR and RF, the clients will operate both at the same time.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#628 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:15 PM

As Scott said, when put into RF mode the client will accept both the IR and RF.  My point is you can test it's response to both while setting the mode once. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#629 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

remote codes?

Are the codes the same as older DVR's or do I have to re-program my URC Remote?

thx

bob

#630 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

The same.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#631 OFFLINE   steelgtr

steelgtr

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:14 PM

The same.

Awesome. So the "stop" function will still work?

thx

bob

#632 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yes

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#633 OFFLINE   chroma601

chroma601

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSylva, NC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

Will the HR44 work with Harmony remotes?

#634 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Will the HR44 work with Harmony remotes?

Yes.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#635 OFFLINE   prefabsprouter

prefabsprouter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

What's the maximum number of items allowed on the HR44's Series Manager?

#636 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#637 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

The Genie will handle 100 Series Links (HR34 & HR44).

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#638 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

I currently have 3 HR24s, an HR22, and an H21.  I will also need another box.   Instead of just adding another box I figured I'd consider the HR44 and C41 setup.

The literature states that an HR44 can support 3 RVU clients.  Given that I already have more than 5 tuners and also would need more than 3 RVU clients, can 2 HR44s coexist in the same setup?  I would be looking to have 2 HR44s, 3 C41s, and and RVU enabled Samsung TV.  Will this work?

#639 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

I currently have 3 HR24s, an HR22, and an H21.  I will also need another box.   Instead of just adding another box I figured I'd consider the HR44 and C41 setup.

The literature states that an HR44 can support 3 RVU clients.  Given that I already have more than 5 tuners and also would need more than 3 RVU clients, can 2 HR44s coexist in the same setup?  I would be looking to have 2 HR44s, 3 C41s, and and RVU enabled Samsung TV.  Will this work?

Not sure if they're allowing more than one Genie per account, ATM. You could ask. Otherwise, You can add a 44 and a Samsung TV, and use your existing HRs for the other four locations. The HR44 works very well as an MRV client or server.

/steve

#640 OFFLINE   TheJackal

TheJackal

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:45 AM

OK thanks.  What if you acquired 2 of these through a 3rd party like Solid Signal?  Would that get around the 'one per account'?

Alternatively, If I had a single HR44 along with 2 C41s, an RVU enabled Samsung TV, plus kept two of my HR24s that would give me 9 tuners which should be enough.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...