Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,373 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I saw where RAD has a HR34 and a HR44 active on his account. Does this mean we will finally have the limit lifted from 1 HR34 to what ever?
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,106 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Of course, Just thought I'd cast my vote early! I'd hate to have to sum up this First Look as 'Functionally Identical' to the HR34. That would just be wrong!

I have both. Since I'm not actually using the wireless networking capability of the HR44, they are completely interchangeable in my setup. "Functionally identical" is completely accurate.

What are you basing your conclusion on?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#63 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

I saw where RAD has a HR34 and a HR44 active on his account. Does this mean we will finally have the limit lifted from 1 HR34 to what ever?

Not at this time. We've been told it will happen but do not have a date.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#64 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,923 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I'm more interested in the inside. Hard to believe it's that small. The HDD looks like it dominates the whole inside. And looks quite easy to replace, which is one of my main concerns. I like the exterior PS. Almost looks too good to be true. I've gotta get my MRV rewired one of these days and I'll try one of these when I do that, if the reviews keep coming in good.

Just looking at how the HDD dominates the inside of the box is a clear indication of how much smaller the 44 is. I find that rather amazing.

Rich

#65 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I have both. Since I'm not actually using the wireless networking capability of the HR44, they are completely interchangeable in my setup. "Functionally identical" is completely accurate.

What are you basing your conclusion on?

As you said, this probably isn't the thread to discuss this but...

The HR44 is faster, smaller, optical audio out, has wireless networking and the remote works simultaneously with IR and RF. Did I mention it is apparently 'fast'? The claim is that it is fast. And don't forget it is not slow.:)

Just because you don't care about the speed or the other items doesn't make it 'Functionally identical'.

Why would we need a First Look if they are functionally equal?

Let's agree to disagree and move on.

#66 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,132 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Great, so those of us with an HR34 are stuck with this buggy clunky monstrosity, and because of all the issues with it that they cant seem to fix no mater how many beta firmwares they put it, that means this one will woprk great right out of the box and work very fast I am sure. The HR34 still moves like its an HR21.... Guess I will be calling retention at some point and trying to get one of these if they cant get the HR34 bugginess worked out.

While I don't have all that much to base this on, I believe it's reasonably accurate. A lot of the code is likely shared between the 34 and 44. Of course there are differences dealing with the hardware differences, and the is about a 5 meg difference, but I think it's fairly safe to say that any software improvements will apply to both. We see this kind of thing with the HR20-24. They have the same software build number like the 34 and 44 do, and most of the changes apply across the board.

#67 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I asked "If you order a Genie can you specify an HR44? Who would want the HR34 now?"

You responded:

Please tell me they aren't going down that road with the HR44!? They are not any more 'functionally identical' than the HR24 is 'functionally identical' to an HR22.

That would be likely enough to keep me from going that route. Nothing like basing your system on an HR44 only to have it fail and then getting a beat up old HR34 to replace it.

I realize it is too soon for all the details but I'm sure DirecTV already has a 'plan' - I just hope it doesn't include 'functionally identical' anywhere!

Well, I will say one thing, HR34 has always been limited supply, and one vendor. W know because of ces that the hr44 will have multiplied vendors. I have a feeling there will be a boat load more hr44s out there than there will ever be of the hr34s. I wouldn't be surprised if the hr2xs are now longer in production either. The 44 platforms is the future. And actually, it should be interesting to se how they Handel it because of not just the wireless aspect, but also the remote aspect. That is likely more of a significant issue.

#68 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Can you use an HR44 as a normal DVR in a whole home configuration and watch its content on the other DVRs? I'd like five tuners and 1tb, but already have a working network of whole home DVR's that all talk to each other perfectly.

Sure!

#69 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Does anyone know if the RC71 remote will be available before the HR44 is released?

:)

Don't know, but its not really meant for anything other than the hr44 and likely future products for several reasons.

#70 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

You can, same as the HR34.

I want to add that when used in a WHDVR set-up, there's no perceptible performance difference between the 34/44. They're equally adept at recording and serving shows to H/HR2x clients, and they both offer the same storage. Just pointing this out because if whole home is the intent, there's really no need to wait, IMHO.

I'd say my hr44 is faster at queuing things though to watch via Whole Home Service. And I have faster response I trickplay too. That's when using it as a client.

#71 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Great, so those of us with an HR34 are stuck with this buggy clunky monstrosity, and because of all the issues with it that they cant seem to fix no mater how many beta firmwares they put it, that means this one will woprk great right out of the box and work very fast I am sure. The HR34 still moves like its an HR21.... Guess I will be calling retention at some point and trying to get one of these if they cant get the HR34 bugginess worked out.

I love how the review says it got WAY MORE POWERFUL...so basically, the less than one year old HR34 I have is a piece of dinosaur crap compared to what the HR44 is, has a better remote, has wireless, AND I see has an optical output, something the idiots that designed the HR34 conveniently left off and I had to buy a converter box to convert the coaxial digital out to optical....once again, thanks for keeping your boxes state of the art D....less than one year old and basically obsolete already....

Actually, I believe they have started a roll out of a new firmware update, and it is the most stable I have seen on the HR34. It's a good to note the firmware in the HR34 and the hr44 is basically the same. Same feature set and same abilities.

#72 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Based on the issues I read about with the 34 I waited till just a month or so ago to get one and I'm glad I did. When the 44 is released it'll probably not be worth considering for at least a year or two after you got your 34.

Hate to break it to you, but that's simply wrong.

#73 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,627 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I'd say my hr44 is faster at queuing things though to watch via Whole Home Service. And I have faster response I trickplay too. That's when using it as a client.

I guess I'd have to see them side by side. Sitting at an H25, I honestly could never tell if it was the HR34 or the HR44 serving a show I selected from the playlist, based on playback start-up or trickplay. Just my experience, tho.
/steve

#74 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

I guess I'd have to see them side by side. Sitting at an H25, I honestly could never tell if it was the HR34 or the HR44 serving a show I selected from the playlist, based on playback start-up or trickplay. Just my experience, tho.

No, i mean the other way around. My hr44 can pull a show from a HR24 faster than my HR34. Going the other way I'm the same as you, basically the same. I think the client is what determines the speed more than anything..

#75 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hate to break it to you, but that's simply wrong.

I hope you're right. It would be nice to look forward to something better than I have. My 34 was a big improvement from my 21s but the early issues I read about would definitely have frustrated me. So I'm just going by previous history.

When the 44 is actually released I'll follow along as I did the 34 and see what the reality is. Who knows maybe there'll be one in my future. By that time you'll be talking about the new 54!

#76 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,153 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

That's a cool looking box. Great first look. Thanks to the test group.

Is the power brick about the same size as an H25 or different? I would assume larger to handle the extra current for the disk drive.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#77 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Why would we need a First Look if they are functionally equal?

New Model? :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#78 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Based on the issues I read about with the 34 I waited till just a month or so ago to get one and I'm glad I did. When the 44 is released it'll probably not be worth considering for at least a year or two after you got your 34.

It really depends on what you want. In my own side by side comparison, the HR44-700 is hands down much nicer, smoother to use, making the TV watching experience that much more efficient, especially using the RF mode on the remote. Doing the trade study on the side by side comparison, and if it was within budget, makes a lot of sense to get, even as an early replacement for the HR34-700, in my opinion. YMMV though. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#79 OFFLINE   carillon

carillon

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

My HR34 works just as well as my HR24. I'm not sure what speed issues you have, but I don't see any perceptible difference between the two.

- Merg

One thing for sure that's slower is Quicktune... it consistently takes 2.5 seconds to display after button push. Guide, menus etc. are also slower than my HR24-500.
SlimLine-5 SWM-8-LNB Dish (HD Service / WHDVR)
HR34-700 Genie / Sharp 52LE700UN HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
C31 Genie RVU Client / Dynex HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA
HR24-500 / Panasonic TC-P54S2 / HDMI / Networked - DECA
H24-700 / Toshiba SDTV / Networked - DECA

#80 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

It really depends on what you want. In my own side by side comparison, the HR44-700 is hands down much nicer, smoother to use, making the TV watching experience that much more efficient, especially using the RF mode on the remote. Doing the trade study on the side by side comparison, and if it was within budget, makes a lot of sense to get, even as an early replacement for the HR34-700, in my opinion. YMMV though. :)

Well then, when my 34 fails or becomes bogged down by some software update I'll know what to ask for :) But I'll just be following along till then.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...