Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

Even if the C41 is not a wireless RVU, it looks like I will finally upgrade my setup (including to a SWiM dish of course). I will connect one of the RVUs to a wireless cinema kit and that should work well enough. It is just so strange that it took Directv 7 years to finally make a DVR that I am willing to even pay to upgrade to (My HR20s are pretty darn old...7 years I think).

I just hope that Directv has a difference between an HR34 and the HR44 in their ordering system...otherwise this upgrade could be costly/confusing.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

I am waiting for this unit, I will be able to upgrade my equipment in 6-8 months, so I think this will be the next upgrade.:):):)

#83 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

Even if the C41 is not a wireless RVU, it looks like I will finally upgrade my setup (including to a SWiM dish of course). I will connect one of the RVUs to a wireless cinema kit and that should work well enough. It is just so strange that it took Directv 7 years to finally make a DVR that I am willing to even pay to upgrade to (My HR20s are pretty darn old...7 years I think).

I just hope that Directv has a difference between an HR34 and the HR44 in their ordering system...otherwise this upgrade could be costly/confusing.

Not suppose to tell you this but the C41's are going to be wireless, that's what they have been telling us. Once the HR44 is release to the public the HR34 will no longer be available, at least that is what we have been told. CCS has been giving us headaches with the c31's, way too many service calls and our shop is tired of this. Policy now and this is coming from the top at D is even if the house is pre wired and its CCS we have to replace it. Either by running the wires outside or wall fishing. I'm sure is mostly an issue with lazy installers then with the wire . It is what it is and we have to deal with it until they tell us other wise. Again don't quote me on it, not suppose to even open my big mouth ;-)

#84 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,627 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I wonder how it would work software wise hopefully not like HR34 as I am looking to upgrade one of my receivers HR22, or could wait a couple of months.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#85 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

How many people would need more than five tuners? Probably not that many.

You'd be surprised. There have been many times where I needed more then the 4 tuners I have now. If you have a family that likes to watch and record different things, especially sharing tuners using clients, those tuners will go quick.

#86 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

A lot of people will wait for a reairing, which usually isn't too long if its not on broadcast.

#87 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

A lot of people will wait for a reairing, which usually isn't too long if its not on broadcast.

Hot doesnt work for sports and the main networks. Could easily be trying to record two to five network shows and want to watch a couple sports games too.

#88 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

I did exclude broadcast. Of course there are exceptions, but a lot of things can be caught later.

#89 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

I'm wondering how some of the expectations in a few posts represent realistic needs of 99% of DirecTV customers.

Having seen firsthand the Dish and Comcast latest offerings on multiple fronts as of 2013...it helped appreciate all the more just how much out front the HR44 and DirecTV is in terms of comparison products and services. Once someone gets to dig deep, ask questions, see things with one's own eyes, get past the marketing hype and misrepresentations, and reveal the fine details...things become quite clear.

Based on a firsthand experience, the HR44 is the best HD DVR and WHDS/MRV offering out there, and actually meets or exceeds the needs of 99% of the marketplace. Fact is...many of us here happen to reside at times in the other 1%....resulting in various diverse wish lists that simply are not going to see the light of day any time soon or not at all.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#90 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

You'd be surprised. There have been many times where I needed more then the 4 tuners I have now. If you have a family that likes to watch and record different things, especially sharing tuners using clients, those tuners will go quick.

On occasion I’ve needed more than four too. However, it’s very rare and I’ve never needed more than five. AAMOF the only time I’ve ever needed more than four is because of that annoying one or two minute over run some shows have to add some extra commercials. One show runs 61 minutes and the DVR thinks it’s trying to record three things at once. Having two HR2xs took care of almost all those problems.

You are right. I would be very surprised to find that most people needed more than five tuners. I don’t know for sure but I’d bet that the overwhelming majority of subscribers would never need more than five tuners.

Now if I play devil’s advocate, I guess if there were four recordings and 2+ clients that want to watch something live; I guess that might be a scenario. Maybe Sunday Ticket...well you’d need, say a maximum of 16 tuners but that would be the extreme. I could come up with a couple more but how likely would they be?

Even with those scenarios the need for more than five tuners would be in the minority. From a business standpoint, and this is a business decision, five tuners is likely a good compromise and serves the majority of subscribers. Add an HR2x to get to seven and that probably serves 99% of the customer’s needs.

Of course this is all supposition on my part but it seems to make sense.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#91 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:43 AM

First off great first look guys and I appreciate the diverse individual opinions in the end of it. Knowing how some of you think from being around a while and your own opinion really helps. Thanks!

I'm wondering how some of the expectations in a few posts represent realistic needs of 99% of DirecTV customers..... Fact is...many of us here happen to reside at times in the other 1%....resulting in various diverse wish lists that simply are not going to see the light of day any time soon or not at all.

And yes. +1 * 100

Enthusiasts are a driving force for change and possibly ideas but rarely do all of our dreams and wishes come true because the ROI for them would be too small. That doesn't mean you give up though, you just convince a few thousand end users its what they need and get them to all hound D* ;)

That said, the HR44 makes a huge leap moving the hot PS outside the unit and while it adds one more additional component to keep on a truck, it also means if a PS fails perhaps you wont loose all your recordings when they swap that.

What would be really neat (but not too likely) would be if they were able to go to all PI powered systems and just eliminate all but one large power brick feeding a new design SWM that could then distribute power back to all the receivers. Single cable hookup, now that would be sweet...

#92 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:56 AM

Not suppose to tell you this but the C41's are going to be wireless, that's what they have been telling us. Once the HR44 is release to the public the HR34 will no longer be available, at least that is what we have been told. CCS has been giving us headaches with the c31's, way too many service calls and our shop is tired of this. Policy now and this is coming from the top at D is even if the house is pre wired and its CCS we have to replace it. Either by running the wires outside or wall fishing. I'm sure is mostly an issue with lazy installers then with the wire . It is what it is and we have to deal with it until they tell us other wise. Again don't quote me on it, not suppose to even open my big mouth ;-)

Thank you for your insight. My wife and I have wanted to rearrange many of our rooms for years, but were unable to due to where the coax lines come into the rooms...and fishing more lines didnt make sense just to rearrange some furniture. We will now be able to due some fun things like wall mounting a TV because of wireless RVU.

...I wonder how (besides wifi) the C41 differs than the C31?

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#93 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,739 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

I understand what you guys are saying. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if the future is to have one box serve the entire house, with clients sharing tuners, with a large family, eventually you're going to need more tuners in it. Why not take advantage of the 8 tuner SWiMs already installed, why let 3 tuners sit unused?

But like you said Mike, there will always be exceptions to the norm.

Ok, enough talk about that, lets enjoy the new HR44. :)

#94 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

Sometimes information, rumors, communications of that nature get "lost in translation"

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 11 January 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#95 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

Sometimes information, rumors, communications of that nature get "lost in translation"

The fact is several folks already are running a C31 with wireless right now paired to an HR34. It requires additional hardware to make that happen. The C31 itself, nor for that matter the mentioned C41 have no native wireless support built in. We'll have to see what the future brings.

So is this confirmation that the C41 is not wireless?

HR44-500 Genie
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#96 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

So is this confirmation that the C41 is not wireless?

Mis-spoke: Simply indicating that based on the C31, there is no evidence that the referenced device someone else called a C41 client by other posters would likely have wireless components inside. I have a C31 and can confirm there's no wireless in that unit. Beyond that...we'll all have to wait and see if and when any other future devices see the light of day.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 11 January 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#97 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Nice! glad I hadnt pulled the trigger on the HR34 yet. I think I will wait.

Same!! I've wanted the HR34 ever since it came out, but just never had the motivation to call DirecTV and make it happen. Glad I waited.

#98 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thank you for your insight. My wife and I have wanted to rearrange many of our rooms for years, but were unable to due to where the coax lines come into the rooms...and fishing more lines didnt make sense just to rearrange some furniture. We will now be able to due some fun things like wall mounting a TV because of wireless RVU.

...I wonder how (besides wifi) the C41 differs than the C31?

To all those wishing for wifi-capable DTV products...

You needn't wait for DTV. Products using the latest technology for wireless HDMI (and IR relay) are finally becoming available. One example: from Gefen (around $250 retail). Uses 5Ghz band so it can't interfere with typical wifi environments. (I've not used one - yet - so can't report on quality but I have used Gefen products and they are excellent.)

An advantage over DTV solution is that you can easily have an HDMI switch before the transmitter and be able to remote multiple HDMI devices. Or you can put a splitter before the transmitter and feed a remote TV off an existing DTV location - and not pay for another.

#99 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

It really depends on what you want. In my own side by side comparison, the HR44-700 is hands down much nicer, smoother to use, making the TV watching experience that much more efficient, especially using the RF mode on the remote. Doing the trade study on the side by side comparison, and if it was within budget, makes a lot of sense to get, even as an early replacement for the HR34-700, in my opinion. YMMV though. :)

Good grief. I just upgraded to the HR34 a week ago but it appears I'm behind the technology curve already. Oh well, I really can't complain since I got the HR34 and install for free. But still,I can't help of thinking "...if only I had waited...".

I guess it is like buying a computer, smart phone, or flat screen TV. Your equipment will be "old news" before you figured out all of its features.

But I'm glad to see DTV pushing forward on new offerings.

#100 OFFLINE   Traveler62

Traveler62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I am out of contract, so can't wait to upgrade to HR44. A few questions:

1. Does the HR44 allow use of the HDMI and the Component outputs at the same time? (slingbox)
2. Is there caller ID and will it show up on all the TVs?
3. Will we still have to pay for multiple recievers with each C31(41)?

TIA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...