Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: HR44-700 Genie

• Please log in to reply
671 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hmm, I think I want this. HR34 not really interested in. But HR44 sounds like the HR34 with all the speed issues worked out.

Not too fond of the remote. How heavy is the remote? I wish they had a clam shell design that opened up to find a QWERTY keyboard. That would be great for searches (Smart Search, YouTube, etc..) or pave the way for more featured TV Apps.

I hope someday a wifi QWERTY keyboard comes to the iPhone and iPad apps to make typing in search strings easier.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   hound9p

hound9p

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Like the new remote. Will be happy to get the HR44 (for free, as was the case with my HR34) when available.

For now though, after the last software update, I'm pretty happy with my HR34 and two C31s. The HR34 is consistently far faster then my former HR20/21s. Ample storage. Easier to set up recordings on one DVR. The C31s are definitely slower than the HR34, but still faster than my old units, and their speed is consistent, unlike the old boxes, which bogged down periodically.

#143 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I don't think anyone has said that it will be able to be explicitly ordered.

#144 OFFLINE   tony4d

tony4d

Legend

• Registered
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

When will it be available, roughly?

#145 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

The only public answer to date: "Sometime in 2013".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#146 OFFLINE   firemantom26

firemantom26

Mentor

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Soon, I hope.

#147 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 617 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Considering that DirecTV is still working out the "bugs" with the HR34; it seems hard to fathom going to the HR44 and having to relive some of the similar bugs. The HR34 has only been available since September, or so, which means there is still some more "tweaking" to do. Let's just say, compared to the DISH VIP711K; it is much faster and feature rich.

I do not use the Genie recommends feature, because I like to pick and choose what i want to record or view.

So, unless DirecTV says they are going to a swap out, for free, fro existing HR34 customers, I will stick with the HR34.

#148 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

The HR34 is a very good DVR, I wouldn't try and upgrade to the 44 either.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#149 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

The HR34 has only been available since September, or so, which means there is still some more "tweaking" to do.

IIRC the HR34 started a limited rollout in February last year with a more general rollout in the summer.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#150 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

The first spotting of the HR34 (HMC30 at the time):

http://www.dbstalk.c...692#post2677692

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#151 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

A fine report was that!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#152 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

The HR34 is a very good DVR, I wouldn't try and upgrade to the 44 either.

There is no thought that they'll have exclusive software features that are 44 only, right? It doesn't fit their general model but that would be my concern, that I couldn't get something because I didn't have the 44.

#153 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

There is no thought that they'll have exclusive software features that are 44 only, right? It doesn't fit their general model but that would be my concern, that I couldn't get something because I didn't have the 44.

Well its a faster processor so maybe just faster navigation and operation? Faster boot would be nice. At almost 20 minutes to reboot is a long time.

Maybe the faster processor could lead to things like that fluid feeling when moving between screens on modern operating systems. IE) Android's project butter, iOS, Windows Aero, Xfinity X1.

The flow (screen transition effects) on the Xfinity X1 add a lot of polish to the experience. I'd like to see that if the HR44 has the processor that can handle it. If they chose Intel CE3100/4100 or better, then they can do it, as Pace accomplished in the X1 DVR as shown here:

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#154 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I don't believe there will be any exclusive software features. Remember the HR44 will not need a WDCCK because it has the wireless capability built in.

#155 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,894 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Well its a faster processor so maybe just faster navigation and operation? Faster boot would be nice. At almost 20 minutes to reboot is a long time.

Maybe the faster processor could lead to things like that fluid feeling when moving between screens on modern operating systems. IE) Android's project butter, iOS, Windows Aero, Xfinity X1.

The flow (screen transition effects) on the Xfinity X1 add a lot of polish to the experience. I'd like to see that if the HR44 has the processor that can handle it. If they chose Intel CE3100/4100 or better, then they can do it, as Pace accomplished in the X1 DVR as shown here:

Faster boot would be nice, but mine is covered for a small blip in power. I don't spend much time in menus, use the guide a few times a month.

#156 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,974 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

HR44 boot time is quicker.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#157 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,098 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I believe the HR44 will boot in about 4 minutes. It is very fast.

To clarify my earlier comment about not trying to get an HR44, If I had a 34 I would not run out and try to get a 44.

#158 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I believe the HR44 will boot in about 4 minutes. It is very fast.

That's a very good improvement. Some of that time is likely spent waiting for data to spool some guide info don't you think? My laptop boots a full windows 7 64-bit operating system in under a minute... SSD drives, but still...

I could live with under 5 minute DirecTV boot. The faster the better. I do have my HR24 on an APC UPS to guard against the small sags, blips, and outages to help mitigate that issue. Also another UPS in my utility room where my networking gear and SWM power inserter are connected.

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#159 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Since they've re-added the optical(thank god) do we think we can see some C41s or something with optical outputs as well?

#160 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,163 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Since they've re-added the optical(thank god) do we think we can see some C41s or something with optical outputs as well?

What is the beauty/advantage of optical vs. coax for audio?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...