Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

could a current C31 be wifi?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

This a theoretical question. But if u could configure a wifi deca from a c31 couldn't u basically eliminate the need for the wire to the swim splitter. This is of course assuming the genie was on the same network.

My follow up question would be is there already a product out there that could "trick" a c31 into thinking its hard wired to a swm splitter when its actually wifi?

This whole question is based on my assumption that a C31 is only on the swm network and doenst actually count as a tuner since it streams from genie at all times.

Anyways if some understands this all better than I do please let me know why my logic is faulty.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Connect a wireless cinema connection kit (WCCK) via coax to a C31. Instant wireless client. This is the way mine is connected - works well. If the WCCK was providing your DECA network interface to your router, just hardwire the HR34 instead and it will be the cloud interface,

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Connect a wireless cinema connection kit (WCCK) via coax to a C31. Instant wireless client. This is the way mine is connected - works well. If the WCCK was providing your DECA network interface to your router, just hardwire the HR34 instead and it will be the cloud interface,

Nice can u use wifi ccks on both 34 and clients at the same time? Hense eliminating all wires except to the 34?

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

Hardwired is usually better than wireless.
I assume that multiple WCCKs can coexist, they're really just a bridge, but using multiples might put too much of a load on your wireless network.
Guess it depends on your network (how good is your wireless router, interference from neighboring networks, traffic load, distance between wireless components, etc.).
When you try it out report back and let us know how it goes.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

I assume that multiple WCCKs can coexist, they're really just a bridge, but using multiples might put too much of a load on your wireless network.
Guess it depends on your network (how good is your wireless router, interference from neighboring networks, traffic load, distance between wireless components, etc.).
When you try it out report back and let us know how it goes.

Guess I just need wcck donations. Love to try but that would have a hefty price tag.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,450 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Guess I just need wcck donations. Love to try but that would have a hefty price tag.

Someone on eBay is selling a lot of 5 WCCKs for $185. Only $37 bucks each, if you can find someone who needs the other 3! :P

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a27ebe8a8
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Someone on eBay is selling a lot of 5 WCCKs for $185. Only $37 bucks each, if you can find someone who needs the other 3! :P

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a27ebe8a8

Yikes! I already have one since a hard wire cck is not feasible at my house but I have 4 clients. Too bad clients don't have Ethernet ports. That would open a lot of doors... maybe I should crack one open and find a solder gun lol.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,370 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Hardwired (unless you go out of your way to do it wrong) is ALWAYS better than wireless.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

Hardwired (unless you go out of your way to do it wrong) is ALWAYS better than wireless.

+1

Wish my house didn't come with such a scrimpy wire setup. 2 phone jacks(not cat 5) and all of 2 coax jacks in 4 bed built in 04. It agrivates the .... out of me. So many possibilities limited by cheap electrical. Boo

spam firewall