Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What to do with new Mac

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

yeah ... just stay with Safari ...

ewwww... Firefox is a much better browser on the Mac.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:02 AM

They make great doorstops...:lol:

Nothing needs to be done to it, except verify that it has some kind of antivirus protection. Some think MAC's cant get virus', not true, there are just not as many groups out there trying to infect them.

Good advice. I use Sophos Anti-Virus on my Mac. It's fast, efficient and doesn't hog system resources like Norton does.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#23 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Macs DO NOT need antivirus software, so don't worry about that.

Wrong... There are viruses out there that effect Macs.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#24 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

This REALLY needs to be pretty much install and forget it. If something isn't updating itself, or there are pop ups, I'm gonna be getting a call lol
He actually got it at a Mac store, and he is DEFINITELY going to have to go in and have them show him how to use it. I think I will probably go in with him too. I was ready to smash the thing lol At least he can turn it on and off, and get onto the internet using Safari. Anything more advanced is going to have to wait.

One thing you definitely want to do is get yourself a small, not really bigger than 500G, external USB drive to use for Time Machine backups.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#25 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,190 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

If there's an Apple store nearby, check on whether they give free lessons for the Mac. As a minimum the store help will be glad to answer any questions you and your father might have.

Agree with this. The seminars at the Apple store are very informative for beginners.

If your dad is use to having a right click, go into the mouse settings and turn on "Secondary Click". The default setting is off.

As far as virus protection, don't worry about it. No, Mac's are not immune but the likelyhood of getting a virus is slim. Just tell your dad not to enter the admin password at any prompt unless he knows what he's installing. That's what usually invites viruses or trojan horses.

Also, agree with the above regarding a backup external drive. Use Time Machine. It's a wonderful backup system.

#26 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

I use Intego's VirusBarrier X6. Auto updates and no issues! As stated by others, MACs are not immune and I recommend antivirus software.

#27 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

Good advice. I use Sophos Anti-Virus on my Mac. It's fast, efficient and doesn't hog system resources like Norton does.

I was a Sophos user for about 2 years and thought it was very good because it was so non-intrusive. But then I started getting cpu runaway, you know the spinning beachball of death, and found that it was Sophos doing it.

Checked some forums and it is a known problem with no real solution as it doesn't seem to follow any pattern with one exception. That exception that showed up was that if Sophos was doing its auto update and Time Machine was starting a backup, that seemed to be an identifiable trigger. But no one had a clue how to cure it.

So I checked the logs for Sophos and it had never found a single problem in the nearly 2 years it had been on. Took it off and haven't looked back.

Further research showed me that the AV software causes more problems than it cures in all too many cases, as can other TSR type programs.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#28 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

ewwww... Firefox is a much better browser on the Mac.

Yep. Chrome is even better.

My Setup

#29 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,076 posts
  • LocationTeays Valley, WV

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

Wrong... There are viruses out there that effect Macs.

There are. But you really have to want to get infected. Unlike Windows, a Mac can't install software unless the user gives it permission.

My Setup

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

That adds some security, but for a user that doesn't know any better, not a whole lot. They provide the password, allow it when UAC prompts etc. Enough people entered their password when they got Flashback that Apple had to do something about it.

People have a false sense of security when they don't run Windows. It may come back to bite them.

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

I was a Sophos user for about 2 years and thought it was very good because it was so non-intrusive. But then I started getting cpu runaway, you know the spinning beachball of death, and found that it was Sophos doing it.

Checked some forums and it is a known problem with no real solution as it doesn't seem to follow any pattern with one exception. That exception that showed up was that if Sophos was doing its auto update and Time Machine was starting a backup, that seemed to be an identifiable trigger. But no one had a clue how to cure it.

So I checked the logs for Sophos and it had never found a single problem in the nearly 2 years it had been on. Took it off and haven't looked back.

Further research showed me that the AV software causes more problems than it cures in all too many cases, as can other TSR type programs.

The only time I ever noticed performance issues is if Sophos and Time Machine were running at the same time so that makes sense. I cured that by scheduling Time Machine backups instead of just letting the machine do them every hour.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Up until recently Chrome for Mac was only 32bit though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#33 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

This story made me think of this thread. The malware that has made some news infecting systems inside Apple and other companies. It used Java vulnerabilities, then bypassed Gatekeeper.

http://securityledge...tter-and-apple/

#34 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have been running Macs since 2006 with no antivirus. I currently have 4 of them and have never had an issue.

I like the Apple E-mail program for my Gmail and other accounts but I prefer the classic layout under Mail, Preferences, Viewing.

#35 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,499 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

My point really is, that need is changing.

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:03 PM

He is just play a roulette and waiting when his computer will be hijacked and all his contacts will be taken out for spamming and virus redistributing, his bank account's password will be stolen, and so on ...

#37 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,644 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

Up until recently Chrome for Mac was only 32bit though.

Still 32 bit.
If he downloads Java from Oracle it is 64 bit only so Java won't run on Chrome.

#38 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

#1 piece of advice. Teach him about malware. Teach him about phishing. Teach him about the danger of chain e-mail. And, please, take away the right to download software (in Windows parlance, don't give him admin access).

And, as a CISSP, I need to urge you to install AV software. Yeah, it's not as bad as Windows XP, but Macs are taking up a much larger market share which makes them much more attractive targets for the bad guys.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...