Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with understanding requirements before calling DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vtfan99

vtfan99

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I've done some searching already regarding the new HR34 and how it can be set up and what it will/not work with. Despite that, I'm still fuzzy on what is required to get an HR34 added to my setup. So, despite my attempts to avoid posting another "will this work" thread...alas...I'm going to do just that.

I currently have an HR20, an HR21, and an HR24. The HR24 is connected to the DECA with the power return (no sure what thats called) for the SWM. The DECA is plugged directly into a wireless router acting as a bridge to my main router upstairs.

My first, uneducated, call to the CSR about upgrading to the HR34 resulted in them telling me that I need new cabling and such. That is what prompted my research.

From what I've read, I don't think I need anything new, except perhaps an upgraded SWM. I can keep the HR24, add an HR34, drop the HR21, and replace the HR20 with a C31. I don't need additional wiring as I have the router/bridge right next to where the H34 would be installed.

Am I missing anything? When I call back to DirecTV I want to make sure I know what I actually need in case a get a CSR that is not up to date with the training for this new technology.

Also, what about the nomad? I could add that independently of any upgrades to my equipment or will that only work with the H24 and newer?

Thanks for all your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

If you drop the HR21 and replace the HR20 with a C31, your current SWM will work, as it's under 8 tuners (7).

Nomad is independent, you can add it at any time. It's technically owned, so it wouldn't reset a contract. Nomad works with all HD DVR's, HR20 and up.

#3 OFFLINE   vtfan99

vtfan99

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the quick response....just the confirmation I was looking for.

Since the nomad is "owned", does that mean there is no chance of a discount on that from DirecTV?

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,478 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I haven't heard of anyone getting a deal, and not sure it's worth wasting credits on, even if it were possible.

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,397 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Why do you want to replace a DVR with a C31? Id rather just have them change my setup to a SWM-16 and have 9 DVR tuners.

#6 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Which will require no change in household wiring

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#7 OFFLINE   vtfan99

vtfan99

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

I haven't heard of anyone getting a deal, and not sure it's worth wasting credits on, even if it were possible.

I'll keep that in mind when I call.

Why do you want to replace a DVR with a C31? Id rather just have them change my setup to a SWM-16 and have 9 DVR tuners.

That does make more sense....otherwise I'm really only gaining 1 tuner...not even sure its worth the hassle for 1 additional tuner.

Which will require no change in household wiring

That is what I figured...thanks for clarifying.

I ended getting the Nomad but waiting on the HR34. Despite my best efforts I could not get the price down at all. My contract was reset last summer when I added another HD DVR to my setup, so I have zero leverage there; if I cancel I have to pay $380 in early termination. I'll just wait for now. Thanks to everyone that replied.

spam firewall