Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05FD - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,267 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

I experience the HDMI handshake issue with my HR34 -> Yamaha 3010 -> Sharp 70" as well. Sound stays on for me, but video goes black. I have to power cycle the HR34 before it comes back, and often the video goes black shortly after that yet again! I have messed with cables, added a HDMI corner adapter to ensure cables aren't getting swished against the wall, added a 5V voltage injector to the HDMI cable going to the TV, wiggled things, etc. Nothing seems to solve the problem which is clearly caused by the HR34 (no other sources in my chain cause this issue). I have no idea how to resolve this :confused:

Here's one way: Remove the AVR from the video chain. I do this out of preference, as I don't have any issues with my Denon AVR. I run optical out of the TV back to the DVR. (also a Genie).
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   lansbury

lansbury

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

This sounds like an HDMI handshake / connection / cable issue.

Have you tried running the HDMI straight to the TV and use the Digital Coax to the Pioneer for sound to see what that does for the problem ?
My son runs his setup this way.

I'm sure you are right it is a handshaking issue. At the moment I haven't tried to change the cabling around as it's a pain in the rear end to do so, as I have to pull the cabinet out and remove the equipment from it. Also up until the last two releases the problem was virtually resolved, but has now came back with a vengeance.

Doug very kindly sent me a PM and offered some help. I'll wait to see how what he is doing pans out and if that doesn't work out get new cables and change things around.

#63 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

HR34-700 0x05FD
Report #: 20130115-1A03

HR24-100 0x062C
Report #: 20130115-3449

Issue: Audio/Video Playback Failed
Was trying to watch a recording from the HR34 via the HR24 and received the message that playback failed due to no audio/video packets.

Issue: HR34 Unresponsive
Went to generate a report for the above issue and found the HR34 to have the screen saver on. I was fairly certain that I had stopped playback of the last show I was watching and had put the receiver in standby mode. When I hit a button on the remote, the the screen saver cleared to a black screen. The remote had no effect at that time. I was able to hit the power button and put it into standby and bring it back up, however, I had no audio or video. The strange thing though was that I could then change channels, bring up menus, but had no audio and the screen would be black. On changing channels, I would get the Info Banner as if the channel changed. When trying to play a recording, the receiver basically froze up completely, however, the standby button the front panel worked. Bringing it back out of standby gave me the black screen again. A menu reset got me working again.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#64 OFFLINE   Skerlnik

Skerlnik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

After this latest update, my HR34 will pop the screen saver up during playback! Quite annoying...

#65 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Icon

• Registered
  • 557 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

After this latest update, my HR34 will pop the screen saver up during playback! Quite annoying...

Mine does that in the PIG and other menus. It also does flash it when I start a recorded program some times. Can't recreate it though, seems random.

I also have a weird issue where in the PIG and other menus, the live picture will mess up. It has a line in the top 1/4 of the screen where it looks like part of the picture is cut off. I've seen it on ESPN, don't know of other channels. On ESPN, the hair line/forehead will move up and down like part of the picture is missing at times.

#66 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have found that Genie, decides it wants to use all 5 tuners to record, which then results in the pop up screen, at least when watching a non-recorded show. I first encountered this when I first got my HR34 and Genie has been deactivated ever since.

While the problem above may not be the result of this, it seems that the Genie software still needs some work. I wonder how may problems reported here are the result of Genie being active.

#67 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

This just occurred last night. I was watching a recorded show and then switched to a live channel. I came back to the recorded show using PREV button and it didn't remember where I was in the show. It started playing it from the beginning.

#68 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Mine does that in the PIG and other menus. It also does flash it when I start a recorded program some times. Can't recreate it though, seems random.

I also have a weird issue where in the PIG and other menus, the live picture will mess up. It has a line in the top 1/4 of the screen where it looks like part of the picture is cut off. I've seen it on ESPN, don't know of other channels. On ESPN, the hair line/forehead will move up and down like part of the picture is missing at times.

I have the same problem occasionally with live tv in the guide also but I have a HR24

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#69 OFFLINE   turls

turls

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

After the lastest update my 3D channels show side by side split screen. Anyone else having this problem. RBR didn't correct it. Any ideas ??

Yes, it broke 3D for my HR34 but not my H25 (I'm almost positive it coincided with the update although I don't watch 3D all the time). They both look the same for a split second -- both HR34 and H25 do split screen -- but then the H25 triggers the correct 3D mode on my Sony projector (VPL-VW1000ES) -- while the HR34 just stays in split screen.

Unlike others here who were able to do a workaround, my Sony just tries to do simulated 3D if I force it into 3D mode.

Sorry I missed this thread and posted this info in another one created by somebody with a similar issue.
Love DirecTV on Demand? ISPs don't.

As you read posts claiming that OTA/ATSC is not important, remember that you are at the mercy of the individual stations and their negotiation status with DirecTV (not to mention missing out on subchannels). And these negotiations are not "one and done" but will come up every once in a while--and at that point you can lose your stations completely if there is an impasse.

#70 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Only 1080i is set. HR-34 is connected by HDMI to a Pioneer surround sound amplifier and then to the TV. Turning either the HR-34 or the amplifier off and on brings the sound back, it is just quicker to do it on the HR-34.

With a Pioneer on the HR34 the audio took a long time to work after video was displayed. Frustrating to see video with no audio.

With a Pioneer on an HR24 no amount of time would allow audio when switching to any Standard Def program. Had to change either the TV or the Pioneer input and then go to the proper one to make the handshake work.

So as much as I loved the big powerful THX Pioneers they had to go. I now have Marantz NR1601 and NR1501 and there are no handshake problems. Audio delay is now less than a second after video.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#71 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I've got an issue with my HR34 now showing 3D content in a split screen when selected. My HR34 is connected directly to my Samsung 3D 6400 16x9 TV.

This just began to happen after the latest software upgrade to my HR34. It makes no difference if I am watching live 3D content or recorded content. If I push the 3D button on my TV remote it will change the side by side image into a full 16x9 image. I've never since being a customer of Direct TV had go through any kind of procedures such as this.

i'd appreciate any feedback on what appears to be glitch.

#72 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,084 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

I've got an issue with my HR34 now showing 3D content in a split screen when selected. My HR34 is connected directly to my Samsung 3D 6400 16x9 TV.

This just began to happen after the latest software upgrade to my HR34. It makes no difference if I am watching live 3D content or recorded content. If I push the 3D button on my TV remote it will change the side by side image into a full 16x9 image. I've never since being a customer of Direct TV had go through any kind of procedures such as this.

i'd appreciate any feedback on what appears to be glitch.

It appears the software update just broke the automatic switch and hopefully they'll have it fixed with the next software update.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#73 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

I'm having the same issue now for a week. i've got a HR34 unit connected to a Samsung 3D TV. If i push the 3D button on my Samsung remote it changes the side by side images to a normal 16x9 full screen 3D image. Should not have to this each time watching 3D content, never have had to before the latest software update.

#74 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Thanks, have you heard any time frame on when it might fixed?

#75 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm having the same issue now for a week. i've got a HR34 unit connected to a Samsung 3D TV. If i push the 3D button on my Samsung remote it changes the side by side images to a normal 16x9 full screen 3D image. Should not have to this each time watching 3D content, never have had to before the latest software update.

I'm having the same issue as well.

#76 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I was told by a Direct TV rep today on the phone that they would be sending a software signal via their satellite to my receiver on a first come first serve basis that would correct the issue. No admittance that the issue is a known issue. Time Frame they gave me to send the signal to my HR34, unknown, could be weeks maybe months.

Not what I call service at all.

At least I've got a work around for now.

#77 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

Software updates really don't work like that, first come first serve. Though there are few enough 34s in use that most of us get any update within a day or two of coming out.

For longer rollouts, it's based on region, etc.

#78 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,185 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

Just notice the Game Lounge Icon has gone missing.

Is this an early sign that the sub-menus Under My DIRECTV might be getting re-organized?
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#79 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:35 AM

HR34 via HDMI to Panasomic TC42GT25 with latest FW.

Work around change TV to side by side.

Replace HR34 with HR24 works.

Just notice the Game Lounge Icon has gone missing.

Is this an early sign that the sub-menus Under My DIRECTV might be getting re-organized?

Thats kind of bizare moving the "cursor" to the icon brings it back. Leaving extras and coming back makes it vanish.

Must be the flu.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#80 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Yes, changing my TV to side by side will work as a fix for now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...