Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05FD - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

I suspected that the answer I was getting was just a bunch of smoke.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,853 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

. . . .
Thats kind of bizare moving the "cursor" to the icon brings it back. Leaving extras and coming back makes it vanish.

Must be the flu.

It's probably a GIF made up of two images and one got corrupted.

But I still would like to see an re-organization.

A nice start would be to breakup Manage Recordings into its seven individual tools. So instead Recordings having two blah icons, it would have eight. Might not be more efficient, but at least it would be more graphic-like.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#83 OFFLINE   Joseph Blowinsky

Joseph Blowinsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I've only recently had my HR34 Genie installed and I'm having enough issues that make me wonder if I have a screwed up unit or if I'm just dealing with issues that everyone else is having.

Sometimes (way too often) my HR34 is completely unresponsive to my remote. This can last for 5+ minutes and most of the times it seems the unit is "queueing up" the remote presses, because when the unit finally responds, the unit will cycle through all of the times I tried pressing pause or list or play or whatever.

I'm also noticing too many partial recordings where a scheduled recording doesn't start until 1 to 3 minutes after it is supposed to start (this is not due to scheduling conflicts). If I look in recording history, the shows are listed a "Partial" with no explanation as to why. These aren't due to losses of power or anything, because I've had other recording that continued uninterrupted while the partial recording happened.

I've also had situations where deleting recordings take 2 to 5+ minutes to complete (typically the unit will be displaying the "Please wait" or "Refreshing playlist" black box)

I've been an Whole Home user for years via ethernet with regular HD DVR's without any of the issues. When I had the HR34 Genie installed, my installer set up DECA for my Whole Home service, my receivers are the HR34, an HR24 (using DECA via coax) and an older HR21-200 that is using DECA via the coax/ethernet adapter

I'm really just looking for advice as to whether I should be calling for an installer to come replace my HR34 unit or if my older HD DVR with the coax/ethernet DECA might be causing some of my issues?

Or if this is par for the course with the HR34 and there are others like me just waiting for the HR44 to replace this unit?

#84 OFFLINE   p3pilot

p3pilot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 351 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I've only recently had my HR34 Genie installed and I'm having enough issues that make me wonder if I have a screwed up unit or if I'm just dealing with issues that everyone else is having.

Sometimes (way too often) my HR34 is completely unresponsive to my remote. This can last for 5+ minutes and most of the times it seems the unit is "queueing up" the remote presses, because when the unit finally responds, the unit will cycle through all of the times I tried pressing pause or list or play or whatever.

I'm also noticing too many partial recordings where a scheduled recording doesn't start until 1 to 3 minutes after it is supposed to start (this is not due to scheduling conflicts). If I look in recording history, the shows are listed a "Partial" with no explanation as to why. These aren't due to losses of power or anything, because I've had other recording that continued uninterrupted while the partial recording happened.

I've also had situations where deleting recordings take 2 to 5+ minutes to complete (typically the unit will be displaying the "Please wait" or "Refreshing playlist" black box)

I've been an Whole Home user for years via ethernet with regular HD DVR's without any of the issues. When I had the HR34 Genie installed, my installer set up DECA for my Whole Home service, my receivers are the HR34, an HR24 (using DECA via coax) and an older HR21-200 that is using DECA via the coax/ethernet adapter

I'm really just looking for advice as to whether I should be calling for an installer to come replace my HR34 unit or if my older HD DVR with the coax/ethernet DECA might be causing some of my issues?

Or if this is par for the course with the HR34 and there are others like me just waiting for the HR44 to replace this unit?

I have only had my HR34 for a few days, but I haven't seen anything like what you are seeing. It seems more responsive than my old HR22-100 and nearly as responsive as my HR24-200. As far as recordings I haven't had enough experience yet with that to say one way or the other. Deletions seem to happen quick enough.

My Complete Setup

HR34-700, HR21-100, HR22-100, HR24-200, and C31-700

#85 OFFLINE   Joseph Blowinsky

Joseph Blowinsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

As I've been reading through this firmware discussion thread and the previous thread, I noticed someone else mentioned remote unresponsiveness at the top of the hour during primetime when many recordings were starting

I mentioned in my previous post that I was having issues with the unit not responding to remote commands often but had never made a note of the time or other circumstances

I'm watching the football game (live recording buffer) and at 5:00pm I tried to pause playback and found my unit completely unresponsive to remote commands. I tried lots of different commands, the unit didn't begin responding to the remote until after 5:03pm.

Looking at my playlist, I had an episode of Top Gear that was set to start recording at 5:00pm

I'll definitely keep an eye on the clock when this happens to see if it's related to the start of recordings or if it happens at other times

#86 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

i've had my HR34 for less than a year, and have experienced some of these same issues you have. Not quite as long in response times as you state on advancing a play back or in deleting a prerecorded program, but none the less the exact same issues.

#87 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

For me this is not normal operation of the HR34. Mine had a couple of episodes like that in over six months and a menu restart cured the problem both times.

Have you done a menu restarrt?

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#88 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

I've done both cold and hot reboots of the HR34 numerous times, but never heard of a menu restart, how is that done?

#89 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,956 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

I've done both cold and hot reboots of the HR34 numerous times, but never heard of a menu restart, how is that done?

Go to Settings, scroll to bottom left, you'll see it. Choose the top alternative.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#90 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

#91 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

As I've been reading through this firmware discussion thread and the previous thread, I noticed someone else mentioned remote unresponsiveness at the top of the hour during primetime when many recordings were starting

I mentioned in my previous post that I was having issues with the unit not responding to remote commands often but had never made a note of the time or other circumstances

I'm watching the football game (live recording buffer) and at 5:00pm I tried to pause playback and found my unit completely unresponsive to remote commands. I tried lots of different commands, the unit didn't begin responding to the remote until after 5:03pm.

Looking at my playlist, I had an episode of Top Gear that was set to start recording at 5:00pm

I'll definitely keep an eye on the clock when this happens to see if it's related to the start of recordings or if it happens at other times

My suspicion is it's a network issue. I would disconnect the cinema connection kit (or direct ethernet connection) and reboot the device. Try it for a day and see if it improves. If so, look at something else in your network, like a connected streaming device or media player, that may be putting a lot of uPNP traffic through your router.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#92 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I just looked in settings for a "menu restart", the only I have in settings at the bottom on my HR34 is "reset" Can anyone clarify for me if I am looking in the wrong place?

#93 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

I just looked in settings for a "menu restart", the only I have in settings at the bottom on my HR34 is "reset" Can anyone clarify for me if I am looking in the wrong place?

Select reset, you'll then get a screen with three options, select restart receiver.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#94 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks, if I do that is it going to wipe out all of my settings and recordings I have currently saved for later viewing?

Additionally, I'm reading here in the forum, that the issue with my 3D displaying in a side by side mode since the latest software upgrade is not happening with the HR24 receiver. Would it be an option for me to call Direct and have them exchange my HR34 for an HR24? I do not have a full home system, but just one 3D TV.

#95 OFFLINE   WINDII

WINDII

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have 3 sets with one HR34.....I would like a 2nd HR34 solely for the PIP feature. DIRECTV says I can't get a second one. Amazon.com has HR34'S on sale but DIRECTV says if I buy one I will not be able to activate it because I am only allowed one. My question is, is there any way I can get PIP on a 2nd set?

#96 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thanks, if I do that is it going to wipe out all of my settings and recordings I have currently saved for later viewing?

Additionally, I'm reading here in the forum, that the issue with my 3D displaying in a side by side mode since the latest software upgrade is not happening with the HR24 receiver. Would it be an option for me to call Direct and have them exchange my HR34 for an HR24? I do not have a full home system, but just one 3D TV.

If you select restart receiver it won't wipe anything out.

IMHO just hang in there with the HR34, it will hopefully get fixed with the next software update.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#97 OFFLINE   Griffs77

Griffs77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:32 PM

I've got the same issue. Happened the other day for about 8 minutes, and it just happened again tonight while watching the Sabres/Leafs game. It was unresponsive for over 10 minutes, so I reset the box and it's working again (for now).

#98 OFFLINE   Joseph Blowinsky

Joseph Blowinsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

I've got the same issue. Happened the other day for about 8 minutes, and it just happened again tonight while watching the Sabres/Leafs game. It was unresponsive for over 10 minutes, so I reset the box and it's working again (for now).

Yep, I'm still having this issue constantly, I'm going to take Stuart's advice from above and disconnect the ethernet from the Cinema Connection Kit the installer put in place when my HR34 was installed ..

I'm going to reboot the HR34 and see how it behaves over the next few days

I have other computers on my home network, but don't have any DVR's plugged directly into my home network any more, everything is done via DECA and then I have the Cinema Connection kit hear the HR34. No media servers running or anything that should be putting out a lot of uPnP traffic .. we'll see

#99 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 PM

I found the issue and a work around to the "Stuck at 1 of 2 getting satellite info" introduced in this build.

With everyone complaining about HDMI modes being reset to 480p, and with all of the HDMI re-syncs happening during boot, I posited that this was a HDMI sync bug.

So I unplugged the HR-34, unplugged HDMI, and plugged the DVR back in. I waited 30 mins, plugged in the HDMI and I am back in business!

I'll notify DirecTV support.

#100 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

For the DirecTV engineers out there reading:

Mitsubishi 57732 57" TV
Denon AVR-1913 Receiver
HR34-700 put in service sometime around this time last year

On Saturday I had noted that our menus were blurry, and found out that my video settings were 480P and 1080P only. So I added 720P and 1080i. That fixed the menu blurriness.

The DVR rebooted itself this afternoon while my wife was watching a show. During boot, I barely saw the welcome screen due to HDMI rebooting.

Then it would go to black between every screen, and on one of them the video was skewed, with a dotted pink line running diagonal through the screen.

It then got to Step 1 of 2: Checking satellite settings… This will take a few minutes. Then the screen went black, and then back to Step 1 of 2: Checking satellite settings… Almost done.

The DVR never passed this screen.

I tried everything. Unplugging the DVR, then back in. Resetting the SWM. Resetting the DECA. Booting without the cable attached. Booting without the access card in.

Finally I decided to boot without HDMI connected and wait. Sure enough, it booted fine.

spam firewall