Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, version 0x05FD - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,355 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'm right there with all of you. I have rebooted 15 times, unplugged the unit overnight and then rebooted again, changed batteries in the remote, turned off native and scrolling, and called tech support 3 times. All I keep getting from them is that it is a known issue and they are working on it.

What exactly are your problems with your Genie?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:29 AM

Last night's Whitney recorded 30 mins of blank screen. NBC was spooling, so this is consistent with the last few releases when this has happened. I went back to the buffer later that evening and scrolled back to where Whitney should have been in the buffer, but all I got was a frozen screen of Law & Order SVU. It appeared to come out of it's frozen state around 8:37, however it still froze several other times within the buffer.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#163 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:10 AM

Last night while watching a movie on Showtime that was a few minutes in I pressed the record button so that I could view it this morning. Well watching it this morning at 16 minutes in it stops and I get the delete/don't delete message. This is the second time this has happened with this receiver. The first time I believe was on the previous software. I've had so many of their DVRs including the abominable HR 21 but have never had this issue with any of them before.

Between the overall expense of DTV's service and the unreliability of their equipment I'm closer than ever to just dumping the whole thing.

#164 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Last night's Whitney recorded 30 mins of blank screen. NBC was spooling, so this is consistent with the last few releases when this has happened. I went back to the buffer later that evening and scrolled back to where Whitney should have been in the buffer, but all I got was a frozen screen of Law & Order SVU. It appeared to come out of it's frozen state around 8:37, however it still froze several other times within the buffer.

Last night while watching a movie on Showtime that was a few minutes in I pressed the record button so that I could view it this morning. Well watching it this morning at 16 minutes in it stops and I get the delete/don't delete message. This is the second time this has happened with this receiver. The first time I believe was on the previous software. I've had so many of their DVRs including the abominable HR 21 but have never had this issue with any of them before.

Between the overall expense of DTV's service and the unreliability of their equipment I'm closer than ever to just dumping the whole thing.

Are you both still running 0x05FD?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#165 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Uh, that's why I'm posting in this thread. Just teasing, but yes 0x5fd.

#166 OFFLINE   SteelDog

SteelDog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hello everyone. I had a DVR die and replaced it with the Genie. It has this software version. I an experiencing some really odd behaviour with this thing.

• Repeat programs recording. Double checked and all Series are set to First run.
  • Random reboots of the receiver. It rebooted twice the first two days (once each day). Rebooted twice today (once this morning and just now).
  • The fast forward and rewind functions are horribly inaccurate (worst I have ever had).

Any insights?

#167 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:57 AM

Hello everyone. I had a DVR die and replaced it with the Genie. It has this software version. I an experiencing some really odd behaviour with this thing.

• Repeat programs recording. Double checked and all Series are set to First run.
  • Random reboots of the receiver. It rebooted twice the first two days (once each day). Rebooted twice today (once this morning and just now).
  • The fast forward and rewind functions are horribly inaccurate (worst I have ever had).

Any insights?

Responded to your post in AVSforum.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#168 OFFLINE   theninny

theninny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:10 AM

Something odd has happen to my HR34, I am not longer able to watch any channel that is not HD. All HD channels work fine. I have restarted the box, connected directly to the TV and still nothing changes.

Has anybody else had this issue?

#169 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:17 AM

Any insights?

Only one. All DTV knows is Bugs and the blame game on all else other than themselves. Dish looking better every day.

#170 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

Only one. All DTV knows is Bugs and the blame game on all else other than themselves. Dish looking better every day.

Dish has had it's share of bugs as well. Why do you think they started having their boxes reboot nightly?

#171 ONLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 525 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:39 AM

Dish has had it's share of bugs as well. Why do you think they started having their boxes reboot nightly?

To solve the problem - to their credit.

#172 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,847 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

To solve the problem - to their credit.

Nightly required reboots is not a solution, it's a band-aid at best. It's more like a cop out instead of actually finding and fixing the issues.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#173 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:18 PM

And I've certainly seen the complaints on the 1am Hopper reboot that can't be rescheduled.

But as I've said before, all boxes have bugs. They don't necessarily affect everyone, which makes it more difficult to find. The vast majority of users may not have an issue. Those that do try to find a solution on a board like this, and it can look like a pervasive issue. Add to that the reps that say "its a known issue, will be fixed in a future update", it may not be so. They just want to get to the next call.

#174 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:56 PM

True.. The lessor of 2 evils I suppose. I hang on as we all do for that day of rejoice.

#175 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

Are you both still running 0x05FD?

Yep - still 0x05FD (as of last night anyway).
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#176 OFFLINE   jacksonm30354

jacksonm30354

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Hell's Kitchen recorded on WAGA 5 (FOX) in Atlanta 3/12/2013 8PM-10PM, hung at the 1hr 5 minute mark during playback. I got the keep/delete message after a while. The status bar indicates the recording was the correct 2 hours. I reset the HR34 and it still hung at the same place.

#177 OFFLINE   sbergstc

sbergstc

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hi all,

I've been away from the forum for several years, but now I'm back with questions about the Genie. Finally decided to get one after delaying because of an anticipated out of state relocation. The move still hasn't taken place and I don't want to wait any longer...

My question is related to the mix of TV models... My primary TV is a JVC that is obviously not RVU capable and the 2nd is a Samsung ES6150 that is. I just got off the phone ordering a Genie and a client, but I'm unsure whether I'll actually need the client and installation of a new cable to that room. The rep was knowledgeable enough, but getting irritated with my questions and wanted to finish up and move on, so I just placed the order and decided to come here for the info knowing that this is the best place anyway.

I had initially thought that I could hook the HR34 to the JVC and it would work with the Samsung without any additional equipment, but the D-tv rep said no, ALL TV's had to be RVU in order to use only the HR34.

Can I setup the HR34 the way I originally thought or do I need the client?
Are there other RVU devices yet besides Samsung TV's?

Thanks in advance for your response,
SBerg
"...remember, no matter where you go, there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai :grin:

#178 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,999 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

All TV's don't need to be RVU, you can mix and match. The Samsung TV will need a coax run to it and DIRECTV will install a DECA-BB to connect it. Since you'll still pay the $6.00 for the Samsung TV I recommend that you go with the C31 client on the Samsung and not go with the built in client. I have tried the Samsung RVU client and much prefer the C31 over it due to bugs and performance issues.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#179 OFFLINE   sbergstc

sbergstc

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

So I don't actually NEED the client... I thought so... I appreciate the recommendation to keep the client. I'll do that instead... like you said, if you're still paying the $6 might as well get the best results.
Thx

#180 OFFLINE   sbergstc

sbergstc

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

How long does it take for a new product to rollout everywhere? Or how long before D-tv is shipping/installing the Hr44, if that's not the same question? What are the first 10 markets? I'm in DesMoines IA and I bet not its the top ten :( Having 2nd thoughts about my Hr34 order install next week seeing that the rollout begins end of this month... unless that's inaccurate info.
Thx.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...