Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The New DirecTV Remote Control

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons? (396 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons?

1. YES (139 votes [35.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.10%

2. NO (257 votes [64.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#276 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

it works for me all the time.

Give an example where this won't work

How many times does it need to be said?  The back arrow does not stop anything....

You want examples?  Ok...  Here are but a few, there are more I'm sure.

Start a recording....  While playing the recording press "Menu" > "Search" > "Smart Search" and search for a show.  Now "Exit" once you've searched.  Now back arrow when are done watching the recording.  You're taken back to Smart Search and the recording does not stop.

Start a recording....  While playing the recording press "Menu" > "Search" > "Sports" and search for a sporting event or team.  Now "Exit" once you've searched.  Now back arrow when you're done watching the recording.  You're taken back to "Sports" and the recording does not stop.

Start a recording....  While playing the recording press "Menu" > "Settings" > "Network Settings".  Now "Exit".  Now back arrow when you're done watching the recording.  You're taken back to "Network Settings" and the recording does not stop.

I hope that's enough examples for you to finally get the point.  Back arrow is NOT stop even if you start a recording and do nothing while it is playing.  Then when you press the back arrow you're taken back to the playlist but the recording does not stop.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#277 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

How many times does it need to be said?  The back arrow does not stop anything....

You want examples?  Ok...  Here are but a few, there are more I'm sure.

Start a recording....  While playing the recording press "Menu" > "Search" > "Smart Search" and search for a show.  Now "Exit" once you've searched.  Now back arrow when are done watching the recording.  You're taken back to Smart Search and the recording does not stop.

Start a recording....  While playing the recording press "Menu" > "Search" > "Sports" and search for a sporting event or team.  Now "Exit" once you've searched.  Now back arrow when you're done watching the recording.  You're taken back to "Sports" and the recording does not stop.

Start a recording....  While playing the recording press "Menu" > "Settings" > "Network Settings".  Now "Exit".  Now back arrow when you're done watching the recording.  You're taken back to "Network Settings" and the recording does not stop.

I hope that's enough examples for you to finally get the point.  Back arrow is NOT stop even if you start a recording and do nothing while it is playing.  Then when you press the back arrow you're taken back to the playlist but the recording does not stop.

Thanks, saved me from a lot of typing.

What we have is a few folks who always do the same thing and are getting a consistent (but still not a stop) result from the left arrow.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#278 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

How do you know what is on?

Once you set up a series recording you don't need to know what is on.

Many newspapers still carry TV listings.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#279 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

I don't understand the poll.  Is the "new" remote the one on the right and the old one on the left?  If so they have the same number of buttons, right?  Just the record and red buttons are moved.

I like the one on the right better - I wish I had gotten it instead of the one on the left.  I'm always hitting record by accident...

I wish both of these had a stop button...

EDIT:  Waaaaaait a minute.  I didn't realize that this poll started almost a year ago.  I guess BOTH of these remotes were the "new" ones back then...

I still would like a Stop and a dedicated Play button (instead of toggle).  It's the fastest way to get the pop-up bar at the bottom of the screen to go away (helpful when hitting 30-second skip and watching sports).

Edited by spedinfargo, 03 December 2013 - 02:53 PM.

#280 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

Faster than hitting Exit?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#281 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Faster than hitting Exit?

oh god, the exit button is horrible.......accidentally hit that and your back to live tv and searching for the show in the list among 100's of recordings to find the show you were watching a second ago, i HATE that feature!!

Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#282 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,940 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

oh god, the exit button is horrible.......accidentally hit that and your back to live tv and searching for the show in the list among 100's of recordings to find the show you were watching a second ago, i HATE that feature!!

If that happens just press the previous channel button to go back to the recording you were watching.

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 03 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#283 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

There are very good—perhaps better— ways to do so: Turn off the DVR or change channels. Both allow changing rooms and/or resuming later at the desired point.

The point here was the back arrow....

and that fact that stop did exaclty what it was supposed to do just as it does on any other device.......i dont turn the channel on my dvd player to initate the stop command

Just plain stupid, quit defending the loss of stop button.....hole is deep enough already

Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#284 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

I use it all the time, without problem. It's all timing, however. Some won't be able to use it well at all. 

#285 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

The point here was the back arrow....

and that fact that stop did exaclty what it was supposed to do just as it does on any other device.......i dont turn the channel on my dvd player to initate the stop command

Just plain stupid, quit defending the loss of stop button.....hole is deep enough already

Not defending it, pal, just giving workable alternatives. 

#286 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Once you set up a series recording you don't need to know what is on.

Many newspapers still carry TV listings.

Really? Newspaper listings?

Series recordings do not give you one offs, movies, specials and new things you might want to try or even reruns on different channels.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#287 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:41 PM

Not defending it, pal, just giving workable alternatives.

Exit is not the stop button. Do you know that the stop button also stops the current status? Do FF and hit the stop, it stops the FF. Exit doesn't. Left button doesn't.

When you take away a button, you lose its functionality. And some of us actually use multiple ways to do things depending on exactly what we are doing.

#288 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Exit is not the stop button. Do you know that the stop button also stops the current status? Do FF and hit the stop, it stops the FF. Exit doesn't. Left button doesn't.

I mentioned the Exit button as a fast and sure way to remove the Progress bar under FF or 30 SKIP. That's it. I've never said there was a button that did just what Stop does, just that there are ways to do things that aren't too onerous. 

I personally don't care about Stop as I didn't use it, but I feel the pain of those who miss it so. 

#289 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

I don't miss the Stop button either. I do like the feel of the remote, reminds me of the "Peanut". I use it on the Genie and use the old remotes on the other 4 DVRs and I prefer the new one.

#290 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

it works for me all the time.

Give an example where this won't work

Me too. When we finish watching a dvr'd show, say before "what happens next week" comes on. I hit the back arrow, it takes me to the playlist while the show keeps playing in the window, I select Delete, then move on the the next show I want to watch.

Works fine.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#291 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,282 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thanks, saved me from a lot of typing.

What we have is a few folks who always do the same thing and are getting a consistent (but still not a stop) result from the left arrow.

I just think it's funny you guys start a recording, for the purpose of playback and watch (I mean why start a recording playing back), then you start playing in the menu.

When I start a recording, i watch it then delete it, I do not start a recording to I can then watch it in a window while playing in smart search. Don't act like we are the oddballs. Some people just have to complain about something.

I get the back arrow goes to the last item, like back on the web browser, it makes me laugh that your last move after starting a recording is not the recording menu. Play around with youtube before you start your show, sheesh...

If you know going in that this removes the "stop like" ability and forces "Exit", why do it? Oh yeah, so you can complain.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#292 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,437 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

I just think it's funny you guys start a recording, for the purpose of playback and watch (I mean why start a recording playing back), then you start playing in the menu.

When I start a recording, i watch it then delete it, I do not start a recording to I can then watch it in a window while playing in smart search. Don't act like we are the oddballs. Some people just have to complain about something.

I get the back arrow goes to the last item, like back on the web browser, it makes me laugh that your last move after starting a recording is not the recording menu. Play around with youtube before you start your show, sheesh...

If you know going in that this removes the "stop like" ability and forces "Exit", why do it? Oh yeah, so you can complain.

Thanks, you saved a lot of typing as well...

why would some one go to search while watching a recording is beyond me....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#293 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 466 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

I like the shape of the new controller, however there are some issues that I do not like at all which makes me long for the older controller.  First, there is no dedicated stop button.  I liked it because I could hit stop when watching a recorded item and it would go right to the menu where I can delete.  Now I have to hit list, then the show, then delete.  Second, and most infuriating, is that the Guide, Record and Power buttons are so close to each other it is easy to hit on by mistake.  As these three buttons are used often, putting them in such close vacinity, with no significant difference in their general shape and feel, this gets frustrating.  Last, I don't like that every button on the top half has a click noise.  When in bed and I am changing the channels, surfing the guide or changing the volume, you get a constant click click click that disturbs my wife.

After going through the entire thread, I am surprised no one else mentioned that, the clicking noise. I can well imagine that could annoy your wife or whoever is next to you, and even you yourself! I don't know why they think we need clicks to confirm anything. The RC65 remotes didn't click and I didn't see any reason why it was necessary.

Fortunately there is an alternative, the RC65 will work, though a problem for those who need RF.

#294 OFFLINE   STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 630 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

need discreet codes.....off or on turns my Sony TV on or off 

HR24-500 AM-21
HR24-200 AM-21
Direct TV Slimline-5S (SWM) DECA
Direct TV since 6/23/96.

#295 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:22 AM

need discreet codes.....off or on turns my Sony TV on or off 

I noticed the other day when I had the TV on and the Genie off, hitting "Menu" turned the Genie on without affecting the TV. Haven't figured out how to turn it off without turning the TV off. This is also on a Sony.

#296 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,358 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thanks, you saved a lot of typing as well...

why would some one go to search while watching a recording is beyond me....

Regardless of what you think your way isn't the only way.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#297 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

I noticed the other day when I had the TV on and the Genie off, hitting "Menu" turned the Genie on without affecting the TV. Haven't figured out how to turn it off without turning the TV off. This is also on a Sony.

I turn my DVR off with RC71 by blocking the IR that operates the TV, so it stays on or off as I wish. 

Clicking noise? Don't experience that on either '71. Dunno if there's a setting, or if there are defective units. 

#298 OFFLINE   Cavicchi

Cavicchi

Legend

• Registered
  • 466 posts
  • LocationEffort, PA

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

I turn my DVR off with RC71 by blocking the IR that operates the TV, so it stays on or off as I wish. 

Clicking noise? Don't experience that on either '71. Dunno if there's a setting, or if there are defective units. 

Westyjoe said the "upper half" clicks. So you are saying your RC71 remotes do not click?

#299 OFFLINE   lucky13

lucky13

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,049 posts
  • LocationMaryland, DC suburbs

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

It's nice to sit down and watch a recording all the way through.  But when I watch TV, I'm not trapped in a theater, and the rest of my life can intervene.

Sometimes when I'm watching a recording, I decide to check the guide, the ToDo list, or some other service menu.  This may be because I've forgotten to record something, or don't remember if I've scheduled a recording, or just saw a promo for something I'd like to record.  Sometimes I'm just killing time while my wife has dozed off.  Usually I will pause the recording before trolling through the system.

I am not offended that you find this behavior funny.  I'm sure I would find some others' viewing habits unusual.

I would hope, however, that we can comment on our dissatisfaction or delight with the new remote without characterizing our colleagues' preferences as oddball.

Personally, I don't use the mini-remote, because I'm often interrupted while watching recordings, particularly sports, and I need the color buttons to place a bookmark on the timeline.  Since others may watch the same recording before I get back to it, I can't rely on just hitting PLAY from the playlist.

Again, I'm sorry if these viewing habits offend anyone's sense of what is proper protocol for watching DirecTV.

• juniormaj likes this

#300 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,109 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Westyjoe said the "upper half" clicks. So you are saying your RC71 remotes do not click?

That is what I said.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...