Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The New DirecTV Remote Control

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons? (396 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons?

1. YES (139 votes [35.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.10%

2. NO (257 votes [64.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,554 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I don't like the placement of the channel rocker switch. It can easily be pressed thus losing live buffer.
  • FHSPSU67 likes this

JACK,

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#102 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

Knowledge about one remote does not equal knowledge about another. Many people saw the RC71 in use at CES, so they're not guessing - only you are. Worse yet, you don't even claim you're making guesses in all of your posts, you state things as if you have inside knowledge that others don't. If you don't know, just say you don't know.

If it came across that I have inside knowledge, I do apologize as this was not my intent.
I thought my post was clear that everything posted was based on knowledge about previous and existing equipment. I thought it obvious that it was just a guess. Sorry that wasn't as clear as you would like.
If you were able to attend CES and see everything in action, then kudos too you!

#103 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 672 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:22 AM

I think it's silly to use this as a complaint, but I feel the same way. I use the play button to check where I am in what I'm watching too. Usually to see how much is left of a show when the climax is right around the corner. It would probably help me really, when I'm watching The Walking Dead and something big is coming, it really just bothers me when i check the time and it says there's 2 minutes left. :)

I try to not use it in circumstances where it will give away plot points, like when I'm watching a movie or some TV shows (your Walking Dead example is a good one). For that very same reason, I don't have a clock in my "Theatre" room that is visible while looking at the screen so I have to make an effort to see the time.

If I'm buffering a program I'll sometimes use it to see how far behind "live" I am.

-Jr.
DirecTV since 1994

#104 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

I use the play button to check where I am in what I'm watching too. Usually to see how much is left of a show....

I agree with you. I use the play button frequently on playback of recorded material.

#105 OFFLINE   scr

scr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I would love to get a hold of one of these new remotes. I'd order it today if possible. My wife would stop telling me 3 or 4 times a day how much she hates the old style remote because it is to large and confusing. That in and of itself would be priceless.

#106 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I like the new RC71 remote, I always duck when I say it though based on others feedback, but I really like it.

I was also always a fan of palm sized TiVO Glo Remote.

My only change whould have been to leave the GUIDE and LIST buttons where they were on the RC70. I rarely use the RED button or RECORD, but I'm always in GUIDE and LIST, all day long, especially LIST.

It would have been nice to have GUIDE/LIST, and INFO/EXIT around the SELECT button, just like they are on the RC70 remote, thus being able to do all those functions without moving my hand, but I've mostly gotten used to it by now.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#107 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I like the new RC71 remote, I always duck when I say it though based on others feedback, but I really like it.

I've done a 180 myself. Hated it at first, now I'm used to it and prefer the shape to the older remotes.

I do wish RED acted like STOP during playback, though. Fingers-crossed they implement that.
/steve

#108 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 790 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

It looks like a remote control from the 90's. lol
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#109 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,210 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

Find myself hitting record too often when I really want the guide or dumping the buffer because I brushed against the pg up toggle.

Maybe they could add some dots or bumps on some buttons to make them easier to identify?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#110 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

The current work around is to use an older model remote:p

Don "the only winning move is not to play" Bolton

While not my biggest, that is one of mine too.

The current work-a-round is to be very quick on the pause/play button.

Go fast, turn left, repeat until done.

#111 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I've done a 180 myself. Hated it at first, now I'm used to it and prefer the shape to the older remotes.

I do wish RED acted like STOP during playback, though. Fingers-crossed they implement that.

Oh yeah, I think we all want RED to perform as STOP within a recording. It makes total sense, and could easily be implemented I'd assume.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#112 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Find myself hitting record too often when I really want the guide or dumping the buffer because I brushed against the pg up toggle.

Maybe they could add some dots or bumps on some buttons to make them easier to identify?

Yep, another reason why I'd prefer the RC70 layout, with GUIDE/LIST above SELECT, and RECORD/RED up and out of the way.

#113 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yep, another reason why I'd prefer the RC70 layout, with GUIDE/LIST above SELECT, and RECORD/RED up and out of the way.

Actually I'd prefer my version. :P
/steve

#114 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

I agree with you. I use the play button frequently on playback of recorded material.

So do I, and I'm sure others on here do as well.

The current work around is to use an older model remote.

Which will not work in RF mode with the new HR44, so if you have your receivers hidden you're stuck with using the new remote in RF, or having to buy IR extenders for your Harmonys.

Oh yeah, I think we all want RED to perform as STOP within a recording. It makes total sense, and could easily be implemented I'd assume.

So could a PIP toggle on the dash button.

#115 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Since they added PIP funtions to the Genie series, I think they should have created a new remote with more buttons. At minimum, PIP On/Off, PIP Move, PIP Size. Of course PIP CH Up and PIP CH Down would make it even better. All we have now is PIP swap button.

Since it takes multiple key strokes just to turn PIP on, I use an AR Xsight that has macros. Occasionally use my NFL remote as well. Probably would never use this new remote.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#116 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Since they added PIP funtions to the Genie series, I think they should have created a new remote with more buttons. At minimum, PIP On/Off, PIP Move, PIP Size. Of course PIP CH Up and PIP CH Down would make it even better. All we have now is PIP swap button.

Since it takes multiple key strokes just to turn PIP on, I use an AR Xsight that has macros. Occasionally use my NFL remote as well. Probably would never use this new remote.

AMEN! I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees with this.

#117 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Maybe they can come up with a way to add PIP functionality to the current RC71, because adding add'l PIP keys would promise something the RVU clients can't deliver, using that same remote.

E.g., double-clicking SELECT might be a way to turn PIP "on" or "off", and then RED could toggle MOVE or SIZE, using the arrow keys. Just a thought.
/steve

#118 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Actually the HR44 receives IR and RF both at the same time (it does not switch off IR when its remote is set to RF) so despite its remote being set to RF an older remote or Harmony can be used just fine.

If there is one bright spot about this little remote for those of us looking for something a bit more commensurate of the flagship class DVR is that it need not be employed unless RF is required.

It would be nearly impossible to please all of us entirely but I would think a focus group could be employed drawing from existing subscribers and random non subscribers to determine a more functional product. It's almost something that would be an industry wide benefit if you think about it.

Also though there is no guarantee on this when certain remote keys are deprecated the supporting IR pattern handling *usually* remains. I base this on my newer Sony TV remotes not having a sleep button on them yet the function works fine when using an older remote that has the function. I use the old remote to train my harmony remotes and I don't have to scroll through settings menus and layers of menus to set and alter sleep timings.

SO FAR the deprecated keys in the Direct TV landscape are following a similar pattern, though the deprecated key's could eventually go "dead" at some point.

Don "to select channel 221 press menu/guide/toggle/toggle/4 wait 2 seconds and press 221 enter:icon_stup" Bolton

So do I, and I'm sure others on here do as well.

Which will not work in RF mode with the new HR44, so if you have your receivers hidden you're stuck with using the new remote in RF, or having to buy IR extenders for your Harmonys.

So could a PIP toggle on the dash button.

#119 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,210 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Maybe they can come up with a way to add PIP functionality to the current RC71, because adding add'l PIP keys would promise something the RVU clients can't deliver, using that same remote.

E.g., double-clicking SELECT might be a way to turn PIP "on" or "off", and then RED could toggle MOVE or SIZE, using the arrow keys. Just a thought.

I recently had a Samsung RVU client installed and was told DIRECTV would drop ship a RC70. A week later I contacted DIRECTV and asked if it had shipped, got a response that they don't send out any RC70's anymore, tell you to just use the Samsung remote which still has all the color buttons.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#120 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,904 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Actually the HR44 receives IR and RF both at the same time (it does not switch off IR when its remote is set to RF) so despite its remote being set to RF an older remote or Harmony can be used just fine.

You're missing my point. If the HR44 is hidden you can't use the old D* remotes in RF to control it, you're stuck with using the new RF remote. Kind of hard for a hidden receiver to receive IR unless you buy IR extenders or have a Harmony with RF built in.

It would be nearly impossible to please all of us entirely but I would think a focus group could be employed drawing from existing subscribers and random non subscribers to determine a more functional product. It's almost something that would be an industry wide benefit if you think about it.

D* did that already. That focus group wanted less buttons and thats how we ended up with these new remotes.

#121 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,940 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Do I call you Rat or Mr Patrol?:grin:

I did get your point and stated the condition IF RF is not needed. However with the new small form factor it is possible to locate this in an area where RF is not required I should think.

Yeah work arounds I agree. As I rambled earlier in this discourse, I hope this is the proof of concept remote and that a real beer drinkin, NASCAR lovin, gadget addicted man's remote comes along that will suit our perceived needs.

No matter what gets done, somebody is left out. Focus groups need be constructed without an agenda. I've a marketing background and know how surveys and focus groups are frequently designed to lead to a pre desired conclusion.

Don "AKA Revoltin" Bolton

You're missing my point. If the HR44 is hidden you can't use the old D* remotes in RF to control it, you're stuck with using the new RF remote. Kind of hard for a hidden receiver to receive IR unless you buy IR extenders or have a Harmony with RF built in.

D* did that already. That focus group wanted less buttons and thats how we ended up with these new remotes.

#122 OFFLINE   gadgetfreak-dbs

gadgetfreak-dbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

I think I would prefer the smaller layout..especially if the "active" button is gone. But I really like the backlighting on my current remote -- hope they make a new backlit version.

#123 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 410 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yes less buttons = less thought. Look at the Apple TV remote (bad example) but it's simple.

I think having more buttons ultimately makes it require more brain power to use.

I just hope this remote can control samsung soundbars

Edited by Rtm, 13 January 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#124 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,507 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yes less buttons = less thought. Look at the Apple TV remote (bad example) but it's simple.

I think having more buttons ultimately makes it require more brain power to use.
. . . .

These same people with brain power issues also get upset if they have to press a series of buttons in order to get something done.

Edited by Drucifer, 13 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#125 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I just hope this remote can control samsung soundbars

I will agree if you make it "less thought in design leads to less buttons."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...