Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The New DirecTV Remote Control

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons? (396 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons?

1. YES (139 votes [35.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.10%

2. NO (257 votes [64.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,024 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Does it work in RF mode with the older HR2x/34?

No, they are different frequencies.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

Also, when you're watching a recording or live feed, what replaces the yellow button? It can't be Dash since that gives you SWiM Connected, etc. The yellow allows you to get to a menu for Messages, CC, PIP (HR34).

The info button does.

#83 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,641 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

That would be the "Info" key. And the "-" key works in guide as though you pressed yellow (per the mapping at screen bottom)

This remote form factor I hope is a Proof Of Concept for the clients which may also leverage the new RF spectrum. I sincerely hope once the dust settles and the new HR44 units hit the streets that there is a remote more commensurate of a Home Media CENTER!

Granted once learned, it will do everything the current remote models do and a new subscriber might not even care. But those of us used to the current layouts and ease of access will have some rough times till it becomes natural.

Still "flagship class receiver" using "hotel room" remote?

Don "Long as my Harmony remotes will work they can do what they will" Bolton

I still don't see what is wrong with the color buttons. This makes more sense to me than using FF and Dash etc.

Also, when you're watching a recording or live feed, what replaces the yellow button? It can't be Dash since that gives you SWiM Connected, etc. The yellow allows you to get to a menu for Messages, CC, PIP (HR34).

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#84 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

No, they are different frequencies.

So they won't work the C31's either. So much for being backwards compatible.

Any thoughts as to why they changed it?

#85 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,835 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

I kind of like it. But still haven't used one.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#86 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Today on my HR34, "dash" during a recorded playback or live tv gives the SWiM info. I have to use yellow button to get to the menu I mentioned prior. So something is changing or implementation is different?

Try being in the guide and see what it does.
A.K.A VOS

#87 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

They would work with C31's, just not in RF. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#88 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

In IR mode they're compatible.
It's the RF mode that has changed due to SHEF compatibility.
A.K.A VOS

#89 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

While the buttons are removed from the new remote the color buttons on the old remotes still work like they did before so unless they remove the code in the boxes to ignore those buttons it doesn't effect the old remotes.

But they gutted functionality to take away the color buttons. They used to have a brilliantly advanced dvr that could pause and trickplay the pig. Not any more.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#90 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Actually, record is orange, but hard to tell the difference in subdued lighting. Good it has the 'R' stamped on it.

My bad. Was thinking about my universal and other remotes I've used.

I have never actually used the directv remote except to program my universals.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#91 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

In IR mode they're compatible.
It's the RF mode that has changed due to SHEF compatibility.

So they're making/issuing new remotes that won't work in RF mode on the old equipment? Can you elaborate a little more how it affects SHEF?

I'm still disappointed there is no on/off PIP toggle. I still say make the dash button a toggle.. SWiM connection info isn't needed in a toggle and can be put in the menu or info area. Am I the only one that feels this way?

#92 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

So they're making/issuing new remotes that won't work in RF mode on the old equipment? Can you elaborate a little more how it affects SHEF?

I'm still disappointed there is no on/off PIP toggle. I still say make the dash button a toggle.. SWiM connection info isn't needed in a toggle and can be put in the menu or info area. Am I the only one that feels this way?

There's a lot of discontent with this new remote.
SHEF is a standard that allows for a common platform for new remotes.
I'm not sure if there were any at CES this year, but that was the idea/hope, as other makers come into the market.
A.K.A VOS

#93 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

It's the new RC71 remote. It isn't available for sale yet. It will be coming with the new HR44 that is seen in the first looks.

This is incorrect. Sorry about that. My bad.

To clarify a few things. As stated previously, the pictures are of 2 separate remotes.

First the RC70. This remote is made for the exclusive use on whole home Dvr clients. Such as the C31 or even an RVU tv. The RC70 remote is not RF capable.

The RC70H this is for sale at solid signal is for Hotel use only. That's what the H means in the model #.

It hasn't been announced yet to my knowledge. But based off of the RC70 remote. The new RC71 remote control will be again, made for use with client boxes only such as the C41.

The standard remotes that we have right now such as the RC65 will continue to work just fine with the HR44 and the C41.

#94 OFFLINE   juniormaj

juniormaj

Legend

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNewbury Park, CA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

My biggest issue with a combined play/pause button is that I often press play to bring up the playback bar so I can see how far I am in to a program/how much time is left. I don't want it to pause when I do that.
I can get used to the removal of the colour buttons if I have to, but am wondering what replaces GREEN to create a bookmark? I know the bookmarks list is long gone, but I still find it useful to create them.

#95 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

This is incorrect. Sorry about that. My bad.

To clarify a few things. It hasn't been announced yet to my knowledge. But based off of the RC70 remote. The new RC71 remote control will be again, made for use with client boxes only such as the C41.

The standard remotes that we have right now such as the RC65 will continue to work just fine with the HR44 and the C41.

The RC71 was seen with the HR44 at CES, so "I'd expect" all of the new line to be RC71 for RF function, while the RC65 will still work for IR mode.
A.K.A VOS

#96 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

This is incorrect.

Most of what you've written is incorrect.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#97 OFFLINE   Krazeyman

Krazeyman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Most of what you've written is incorrect.

Everything about the RC70 is correct. I am simply applying it to the RC71. Once the HR44 and C41 are further along in testing, and more information is released regarding the equipment. Then we will know all these answers for sure instead of all of us guessing on the finer details.

#98 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

My biggest issue with a combined play/pause button is that I often press play to bring up the playback bar so I can see how far I am in to a program/how much time is left. I don't want it to pause when I do that.

I think it's silly to use this as a complaint, but I feel the same way. I use the play button to check where I am in what I'm watching too. Usually to see how much is left of a show when the climax is right around the corner. It would probably help me really, when I'm watching The Walking Dead and something big is coming, it really just bothers me when i check the time and it says there's 2 minutes left. :)

#99 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,651 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

I think it's silly to use this as a complaint, but I feel the same way. I use the play button to check where I am in what I'm watching too. Usually to see how much is left of a show when the climax is right around the corner. It would probably help me really, when I'm watching The Walking Dead and something big is coming, it really just bothers me when i check the time and it says there's 2 minutes left. :)

While not my biggest, that is one of mine too.

The current work-a-round is to be very quick on the pause/play button.
A.K.A VOS

#100 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Everything about the RC70 is correct. I am simply applying it to the RC71. Once the HR44 and C41 are further along in testing, and more information is released regarding the equipment. Then we will know all these answers for sure instead of all of us guessing on the finer details.

Knowledge about one remote does not equal knowledge about another. Many people saw the RC71 in use at CES, so they're not guessing - only you are. Worse yet, you don't even claim you're making guesses in all of your posts, you state things as if you have inside knowledge that others don't. If you don't know, just say you don't know.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

spam firewall