Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The New DirecTV Remote Control

• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons? (396 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like it smaller with fewer buttons?

1. YES (139 votes [35.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.10%

2. NO (257 votes [64.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Do I call you Rat or Mr Patrol?:grin:

I did get your point and stated the condition IF RF is not needed. However with the new small form factor it is possible to locate this in an area where RF is not required I should think.

Yeah work arounds I agree. As I rambled earlier in this discourse, I hope this is the proof of concept remote and that a real beer drinkin, NASCAR lovin, gadget addicted man's remote comes along that will suit our perceived needs.

No matter what gets done, somebody is left out. Focus groups need be constructed without an agenda. I've a marketing background and know how surveys and focus groups are frequently designed to lead to a pre desired conclusion.

Don "AKA Revoltin" Bolton

You're missing my point. If the HR44 is hidden you can't use the old D* remotes in RF to control it, you're stuck with using the new RF remote. Kind of hard for a hidden receiver to receive IR unless you buy IR extenders or have a Harmony with RF built in.

D* did that already. That focus group wanted less buttons and thats how we ended up with these new remotes.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   gadgetfreak-dbs

gadgetfreak-dbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

I think I would prefer the smaller layout..especially if the "active" button is gone. But I really like the backlighting on my current remote -- hope they make a new backlit version.

#123 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yes less buttons = less thought. Look at the Apple TV remote (bad example) but it's simple.

I think having more buttons ultimately makes it require more brain power to use.

I just hope this remote can control samsung soundbars

Edited by Rtm, 13 January 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#124 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,858 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Yes less buttons = less thought. Look at the Apple TV remote (bad example) but it's simple.

I think having more buttons ultimately makes it require more brain power to use.
. . . .

These same people with brain power issues also get upset if they have to press a series of buttons in order to get something done.

Edited by Drucifer, 13 January 2013 - 02:17 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#125 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I just hope this remote can control samsung soundbars

I will agree if you make it "less thought in design leads to less buttons."
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#126 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

I will agree if you make it "less thought in design leads to less buttons."

This Is the key. They have to make the stuff you access faster if they want to reduce the buttons IMHO. Still they should have had a separate pause button.

#127 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

This Is the key. They have to make the stuff you access faster if they want to reduce the buttons IMHO. Still they should have had a separate pause button.

While not taking away functionality.

I will always be ticked that they screwed up trickplay in the pig.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#128 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

What advantage does a separate pause button add?

#129 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

What advantage does a separate pause button add?

Let's you keep the ability to press play to see where you are in a recording without having to pause it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#130 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

On the Harmony remotes its a rocker switch and that wouldn't violate the current layout much if at all.

Don "one of many little things that might make this thing smell a bit better" Bolton

Let's you keep the ability to press play to see where you are in a recording without having to pause it.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#131 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but I hope someone pointed out that for the foreseeable future, any DIRECTV RC-series remote will control future products in IR mode. So if you have a few of them around the house, might be good to keep them. Might also be good to scout out sources for new ones at low prices.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#132 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

On the Harmony remotes its a rocker switch and that wouldn't violate the current layout much if at all.

Don "one of many little things that might make this thing smell a bit better" Bolton

A pause/play rocker would have been much nicer.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#133 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Plus they could have left us with at least pause in the pig.

#134 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,720 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I haven't read the whole thread but I hope someone pointed out that for the foreseeable future, any DIRECTV RC-series remote will control future products in IR mode. So if you have a few of them around the house, might be good to keep them. Might also be good to scout out sources for new ones at low prices.

It would have been cool if they would have had a USB dongle to receive the old RF frequency. ;)

#135 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Don't really like it, but as long as they don't go and get rid of all the old IR codes then I don't really care since I use Harmony Remotes pretty much everywhere.

I really wish they would consider adding a special IR codeset just for programmable remotes like Harmony, URC, Pronto, etc. They could give us back the color buttons, seperate pause/play buttons, direct button access to stuff like CC and PiP, all without changing anything on the DirecTV remotes. Many other electronic manufacturers do stuff like this already. Discreet on and off commands are actually pretty common for most devices even though the manufacturers remotes seldom have them, same with discreet input codes for most name brand TV and AV receivers.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#136 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Don't really like it, but as long as they don't go and get rid of all the old IR codes then I don't really care since I use Harmony Remotes pretty much everywhere.

I really wish they would consider adding a special IR codeset just for programmable remotes like Harmony, URC, Pronto, etc. They could give us back the color buttons, seperate pause/play buttons, direct button access to stuff like CC and PiP, all without changing anything on the DirecTV remotes. Many other electronic manufacturers do stuff like this already. Discreet on and off commands are actually pretty common for most devices even though the manufacturers remotes seldom have them, same with discreet input codes for most name brand TV and AV receivers.

Think you're getting close to why the RF was changed.
A.K.A VOS

#137 OFFLINE   GregLee

GregLee

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

No, I do not want fewer buttons and smaller. If there is a change, I would want more buttons and bigger. Among remote users, I do believe one can find both anti-button people and pro-button people. Not everybody has to be the same. I have a collection of universal remotes, and most of them have many buttons.

However, there are a few things about the new design that I think are better. It's good to have the trick-play buttons below the other non-numeric buttons, since this is more like other remotes. I never liked the slide switch, but I need modes for other devices -- I just would rather have buttons for other device modes (and preferably indicator lights to show the currently active device.).

I won't miss Active.

I wish there could be several different remotes that we could choose among. I don't like enforced uniformity.
Greg

#138 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I wish there could be several different remotes that we could choose among.

There are. The DirecTV remote is only one option.
DTV = Digital Television

#139 OFFLINE   DrummerBoy523

DrummerBoy523

Godfather

• Registered
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

not sure how to answer...

Do I like it smaller w/fewer buttons? Sure do.

Do I think the design is functional and makes sense for how I use the DTV remote? No. Why the hell did they put the MENU button in the middle on the top? Why not LIST or GUIDE? What a horrible design and just continues to prove that DTV doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to designing anything customer facing.
  • Swim LNB
  • HR21-200 Bonus Room
  • HR24-200 Family Room
  • H24-100 Bedroom
  • MRV enabled

#140 OFFLINE   RichManitoba

RichManitoba

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

http://www.dbstalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30912&thumb=1&d=1357830431