Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad Drive

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dobok

dobok

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

Just wondering since we have trouble with hard drives in our receivers is there any chance that D is looking at replacing them with SSD's (solid state)as they have no moving parts and are faster than hard drives too. Just an idea that maybe someone should look into 1 day !!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 AM

Right now SSD drives are not cost effective, not big enough and they also die faster due to a limit on read/writes.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

SSD drive have limited write cycles, not ideal for dvr applications....that are always writing. That would be no different than making the statement, "we have trouble with the HDD in our pc, why dont all pcs come with ssd drives now"?

HDD's fail, its just the way things are. I've got a 5 year old HD dvr with the original HDD in it.

#4 OFFLINE   dobok

dobok

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:18 AM

Wow-I didn't know people even knew about them as it is new technology for computers. As for why dont all computers have them I hear it is a cost thing but the price is coming down fast. I have one in my other computer and it is alot faster than this one !!!!

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

Wow-I didn't know people even knew about them as it is new technology for computers. As for why dont all computers have them I hear it is a cost thing but the price is coming down fast. I have one in my other computer and it is alot faster than this one !!!!

It's not really new technology at all. I've had an SSD drive in my laptop for almost 3 years now. It definitely sped up the laptop, by quite a bit. You're just not going to see them in DVRs because of the read/write limitations.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

I've got one as OEM in my work laptop...that is 4 years old.....they are far from new technology. Speed is absolutely the only advantage, and that speed is not needed in a dvr. The current sata drives that come in our dvrs are way faster than even the HR34 needs and it can handle 6-8 streams at the same time. They use the same drive tech in the HR2x series, and they can serve about 5 streams at once. 2 live recordings, serve one remote client, and 1 vod stream, for a total of 5 concurrent streams.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,737 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Who knows, if the heating technology goes anywhere, there may be a chance.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Who knows, if the heating technology goes anywhere, there may be a chance.

Not when you have limited read/writes. We've tested SSD drives here and have been able to kill them within a week of constant read/writes. Not exactly what I'd want in a DVR.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,737 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Right, but you're not heating individual cells to 800 Celsius by the gate. But if a cell that currently is exhausted at 10,000 cycles lasts for 100 million+? That is a significant change.

Of course there are some tough problems that need to be worked out before it's going to be mainstream.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Right, but you're not heating individual cells to 800 Celsius by the gate. But if a cell that currently is exhausted at 10,000 cycles lasts for 100 million+? That is a significant change.

Of course there are some tough problems that need to be worked out before it's going to be mainstream.

The read/write limit has nothing to do with temp though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,737 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

The healing properties discovered do. When a solid state cell is heated, its life is drastically increased. Theoretically then, a system (and they even mention cell phones) can do an occasional maintenance. Offload data to another location, heat the cell, move on to the next one. There still is a potential write limit, but it's over 100 million cycles on a cell that without heating runs out at 10,000. The potential is there.

This might explain it better:
http://spectrum.ieee...trum Full Text)

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Interesting moment: “Afterward, we realized that there was no new physics principle invented here, and we could have done this 10 years ago.”

#13 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,737 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Sometimes the biggest step is just someone trying something.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Sometimes the biggest step is just someone trying something.

How much do the 2TB SSD's go for currently? :P

Well they don't exist that I can see, 500GB start at around $400 and go up...they are not cost effective for DVR's, and we've already talked about the zero advantage to the extra speed, its all wasted in a current dvr.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,737 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I figure by the time they incorporate the self healing and such, capacity will have greatly increased. Sure, no speed benefit, but at that point should theoretically be more reliable than a spinning disk.

#16 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Since they have been around for over 5 years and its not here yet, I still think it will be awhile. For all we know there could be a newer better technology by then.

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,548 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

The Apple-style fusion drive might make more sense for a DVR, but instead of having as SSD at the front end that transfers to a HDD on the back end, they need to place them side-by side, and have the HDD handle media and the SSD handle everything else. If you think about it, that is not really very different from the concept of VM (move large tasks from limited RAM into the HDD), or maybe more accurately the reverse of VM (place your demanding tasks in something as fast as RAM).

I would not assume the SSD to be a hedge against poor reliability; I had to replace my SSD in a year-old MacBook Air. Since the HDD is not really where the bottleneck in sluggish DVRs is, I don't see this as any solution to that issue, either. (sorry, bit of a sidetrack there).

As to the OP's point...

an idea that maybe someone should look into 1 day !!

...that day will probably come, assuming DTV is still in business. IOW, this is where things are heading but it will take a number of years to get there. And cloud VOD will probably make the local storage paradigm obsolete anyway.

Edited by TomCat, 14 January 2013 - 08:15 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall