Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV Feed in a Nursing Home Question

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

One challenge, no one is allowed near the head with a D* remote. All adjustments are done with the front panel controls. Can't have some one walk in there and click channel up a few times, I'd be there hours getting all the boxes back on channel.

I never leave a DirecTV remote in a head-end room for that reason. Still, twice we've had to reprogram a whole head-end because some person decided they'd change one of the channels and found a remote on their own.

Surprisingly, admin approached me about getting the system, I was skeptical the thing would work as well as it does, especially with the 2 different wiring set ups.

Typically, you don't start having problems until about the 10 year mark, when you'll have modulators start to die. That happens much sooner if the head-end room isn't kept cool; my contract specifies that additional cooling is usually needed and is not our responsibility.

The vast majority of our head-end service calls are either changing a channel or adding additional channels to the system. They *are* pretty reliable.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

BattleZone!!! :welcome_s back to DBSTalk, I have not seen you post in a long time, I am sure you have probably been quite busy. I have always enjoyed the photos you post of the commercial installs! You can tell that you take a lot of pride in your work. :) ;)

Thanks. Yeah, I've been busy. I thought someone might enjoy seeing a few pics for reference. The LG systems are relatively new, but quite popular as their price is down to about $400 a channel for an average system, vs. $1000 for a Com1000. The Com1000 is more elegant, much smaller, and more energy-efficient, but that up-front cost is a killer.

#23 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I never leave a DirecTV remote in a head-end room for that reason. Still, twice we've had to reprogram a whole head-end because some person decided they'd change one of the channels and found a remote on their own......

I just completed the 2nd of 5 planned DISH head-end installations at a group of local nursing homes. I placed a strip of tape over each receiver's infrared senser to prevent unwanted channel changes.

#24 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Speaking of remote control issues for you guys that maintain systems like these. If you have remote access via the Internet check this little box out: http://www.headend-remote.com/

#25 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

I keep the cooling fans clean, I have surge suppressors in the electrical panel, and a Monster Power outlet strip (came with the head) which I think is overkill.

Head is in a utility room far below grade level and admin doesn't heat it much, so room is always cool, I'd say mid 60s. Humidity gets a little high, but doesn't condense.

I made sure head is not on the backup generator, it takes several seconds to come on during an outage, so all the D* stuff has to reboot, the battery UPS works fine for the quick blinks we get from storms. Nobody can watch during an outage, but when the power comes back on, they hate waiting for a D* reboot.

I laugh, a couple of the residents inform me of issues long before admin gets around to it. I've had admin call a week after I have fixed something with the problem report.

We've kept an open mind about adding channels, residents had some input in the original selection, and except for ESPN, we've made tried to accommodate popular requests. Heck, they wanted Spike, and I added it.

Surprisingly, we have requests to drop channels. The news channels seem to irk a few, and they would like to see the boxes on something else. I put Bloomberg on temporarily during D* dispute with Speed (or whatever it was), I don't like blank channels. Bloomberg turned out to be popular with a few of them, and we wound up adding it after the dispute resolved.

I have Ebay'd modulators, combiners, etc. when I've added channels, when I start having wear out issues I'll probably do the same. Admin doesn't mind upfront $ (it's deductible) but monthly fees they watch very close.

Good idea about the tape on the sensors, I'd hate to go thru that.

I will put plastic sheeting in a few strategic areas, there is some plumbing in the room, and a leak could be a problem too.

I don't think very many staff (and fewer admin) even know this utility room even exists, which helps. Room has some unused wheel chairs, some unused nursing home equipment, but no personnel items from any resident. I suspect regular maintenance guy watches the monitor sometimes, I always leave the monitor on the local weather channel when I leave, and it is never on that channel when I get there. LOL.

I don't know how many receivers a single KaKu dish can run, but I am around 40, and with the splitters for the (unused) resident room boxes, it looks like the number would be over 80.

#26 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Speaking of remote control issues for you guys that maintain systems like these. If you have remote access via the Internet check this little box out: http://www.headend-remote.com/

It's a great concept to be certain, but most of the nursing homes that are/have recently put in SD TV systems don't even have Internet, or only have one tiny pipe shared by the admin. They wouldn't pay for these boxes or for an Internet connection for them. I can't stress enough how tight they are with a buck!

The folks who go with the HD systems often have Internet, which can make managing those systems (well, the Com1000 systems, anyway) a breeze. The LGs still require local access unless they buy the Pro:Centric server also. But the LG racks can be quickly set with a computer and a TTL cable.

#27 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

I don't know how many receivers a single KaKu dish can run, but I am around 40, and with the splitters for the (unused) resident room boxes, it looks like the number would be over 80.

We've hit almost 450 from a single dish, but that was with signal amplifiers. You can't split the raw signal nearly that much without them. I'm sure the real number is well above 1000, which would be enough for any realistic situation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...