Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New 0x05FD software apparently bricked my HR34 Genie

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lgno

lgno

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Just got the update.

Unfortunately, all of my recorded programs were wiped clean and my favorites list no longer works (I had to re-program it). Also, my to do list and my series manager was wiped out.

Anyone have the same problems?

I also have a major issue. My HR34 received the update yesterday (1/9/13) at about 11am. The box was turned on for the first time since the update that evening, and I initially noticed no changes. A few hours later (without having turned off the box) the guide changed from using the green/red buttons for moving +/- 12 hours to now using the fast forward/rewind buttons. I later noticed I was unable change between crop and pillar box aspect ratios on SD channels (something I do regularly). Then yet another problem occurred where the picture would be in HD but all the on screen GUI (guide, info, progress bar) would be pixelated in what I presume is SD. So I went to the menu and selected restart receiver.

The HR34 restarts by going through the receiver self-check, then shows "Step 1 of 2: Checking Satellite Settings - Almost Done." But instead of continuing to step 2 it will stay frozen on that screen for over 10 minutes until the box resets itself to start all that over again.

The HR34 has subsequently been reset both with the red reset button and by being unplugged. I have also had the box reinstall the 0x05FD software and even ran the guided tests in "Diagnostics Mode" (with no issues). It still freezes on the "Checking Satellite Settings" dialogue.

I called customer service (and spoke with a technical supervisor) and they didn't know what to do other than what I had already done. They were not aware of anyone else having this issue as of yet. I will be getting a new HR34 - but I'm still very unhappy about losing all of my recorded programs and settings. Hopefully this is a one off issue and will not affect my new HR34 or anyone else.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

Attached Thumbnails

• directv stuck.jpg

Edited by lgno, 22 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,332 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Not that I'm any help, but that is completely bizarre, especially the buttons changing in the guide like that. This build did change that, but you should have seen that change immediately after it booted, not several hours after.

#3 OFFLINE   philiphotog

philiphotog

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

The only thing I can think of is the hard drive may of been dying and this was the last straw. Really not sure.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,685 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

The only thing I can think of is the hard drive may of been dying and this was the last straw. Really not sure.

Probably true. We sometimes see reports like this after new software updates because the DVR runs a disk diagnostic as part of the software install process. I trust that DirecTV is sending you a replacement?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

I also have a major issue. My HR34 received the update yesterday (1/9/13) at about 11am. The box was turned on for the first time since the update that evening, and I initially noticed no changes. A few hours later (without having turned off the box) the guide changed from using the green/red buttons for moving +/- 12 hours to now using the fast forward/rewind buttons. I later noticed I was unable change between crop and pillar box aspect ratios on SD channels (something I do regularly). Then yet another problem occurred where the picture would be in HD but all the on screen GUI (guide, info, progress bar) would be pixelated in what I presume is SD. So I went to the menu and selected restart receiver.

The HR34 restarts by going through the receiver self-check, then shows "Step 1 of 2: Checking Satellite Settings - Almost Done." But instead of continuing to step 2 it will stay frozen on that screen for over 10 minutes until the box resets itself to start all that over again.

The HR34 has subsequently been reset both with the red reset button and by being unplugged. I have also had the box reinstall the 0x05FD software and even ran the guided tests in "Diagnostics Mode" (with no issues). It still freezes on the "Checking Satellite Settings" dialogue.

I called customer service (and spoke with a technical supervisor) and they didn't know what to do other than what I had already done. They were not aware of anyone else having this issue as of yet. I will be getting a new HR34 - but I'm still very unhappy about losing all of my recorded programs and settings. Hopefully this is a one off issue and will not affect my new HR34 or anyone else.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/ideas.

The update actually fried my access card. After several calls, they are sending me a new one "Invalid access card" is what is noted and I cannot use the HR34 until the new card arrives. They said it is a "known issue" from the latest firmware update for some of the receivers (how comforting ) .. :nono2:

#6 OFFLINE   lgno

lgno

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

Probably true. We sometimes see reports like this after new software updates because the DVR runs a disk diagnostic as part of the software install process. I trust that DirecTV is sending you a replacement?

I was thinking it was the hard drive as well. However, I have run every single diagnostic test (including the surface test) provided in the HR34's diagnostics mode and everything comes back clean. I guess it could still be the hard drive, though.

Yes. They are sending a replacement.

#7 OFFLINE   ITSec_Guy

ITSec_Guy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

D*TV is aware that 0x05FD broke several HR-34 receivers and the engineers are going to push out an update by this upcoming weekend.

Or so I'm told :)

#8 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• Registered
  • 234 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

That type of boot loop can be caused by a tuner hardware failure. This would show up as code 11 in a system test if it was ran before reset.

FWIW I get about 1 HR34 a week DOA from a code 11 failure. I've never had a new HR24 give a code 11.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#9 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,982 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Try this: Hit the red button again after first screen has been up five minutes.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

D*TV is aware that 0x05FD broke several HR-34 receivers and the engineers are going to push out an update by this upcoming weekend.

Or so I'm told :)

I spoke the the person in DIRECTV engineering who is in charge of updates for this box and what you were told is CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. Sadly this is a common lie told by CSRs to get people off the phone.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Also FYI the on screen displays changed to show FFWD and REW but red and green still work.

#12 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

lgno, look at the bright side.
By raising all of this here at dbstalk, you know with certainty that the engineering team was made aware of the issue.

Isn't this place great?

#13 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I spoke the the person in DIRECTV engineering who is in charge of updates for this box and what you were told is CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. Sadly this is a common lie told by CSRs to get people off the phone.

You wouldn't think this would be correct assuming the Genie's are the same hardware platform and everyone got the identical firmware. Either they would all work or all be bricked unless there was a glitch in download.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

You wouldn't think this would be correct assuming the Genie's are the same hardware platform and everyone got the identical firmware. Either they would all work or all be bricked unless there was a glitch in download.

The checksums would have it redownload if there was a glitch.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I have been told by CSRs, including people from Ellen Filipiak's office, that the only way they can communicate with people in engineering is by e-mail. Since you are able to talk to the engineers, I am wondering if what I had been told was also a lie.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I have been told by CSRs, including people from Ellen Filipiak's office, that the only way they can communicate with people in engineering is by e-mail. Since you are able to talk to the engineers, I am wondering if what I had been told was also a lie.

Which was..... :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

What Ms. Filipiak is telling you is not a lie, and neither is what I am telling you. It's simply a matter of clarification.

I can say with categorical certainty that Ms. Filipiak has, at least once, spoken with an engineer. I know, because I was speaking with the same engineer at the same time on a national conference call. And I can further tell you that I spoke person-to-person with a DIRECTV engineer, in fact several of them, in the last week. I am not telling you these things to blow my own horn. I'm telling you these things to clarify what was told to you previously.

DIRECTV's policy (as I understand it) is that important directives are transmitted by e-mail whenever practicable. That is what Ms. Filipiak's office meant. And, I will add, whenever possible I communicate electronically with the engineers as well, because I don't want to waste their busy days.

All that said, people do talk face-to-face sometimes. It does happen.

#18 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,927 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

...All that said, people do talk face-to-face sometimes. It does happen.

Or at least phone to phone. :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#19 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

Our HR34-700 rebooted today and is stuck in the same place. They are sending someone out thursday.

Is there anything I can do to help them get this unit back in working order so we don't lose our programs? Have several finales to watch.

Would running a 02468 force a re-download of the software and maybe fix it?

#20 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

but I'm still very unhappy about losing all of my recorded programs and settings. Hopefully this is a one off issue and will not affect my new HR34 or anyone else

This is why cloud stuff will eventually win out. We'll just pay to watch the things we want and pull them down. Multichannel providers will be relegated to live sports, news, etc.

It is ridiculous that:

a) I bought their hardware
B) They installed the software, not me
c) I lose programming that I paid for

This is not a sustainable model. At the very least, these boxes need to include cloud video watching (on demand) in HD for all shows so if there is an issue, one can go watch the program on demand.

On top of this, settings, etc, should be backed up to DirecTVs servers, so if I need to get a new box, those settings can be downloaded (and cleaned by their servers) and re-installed so I basically don't know that anything happened.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...