Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New 0x05FD software apparently bricked my HR34 Genie

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Igno,

Did you end up having to get a new box and lose all of your programs and recordings?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

I found the issue and a work around!

With everyone complaining about HDMI modes being reset to 480p, and with all of the HDMI re-syncs happening during boot, I posited that this was a HDMI sync bug.

So I unplugged the HR-34, unplugged HDMI, and plugged the DVR back in. I waited 30 mins, plugged in the HDMI and I am back in business!

I'll notify DirecTV support.

#23 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

As I posted in another thread, Directv really is aware that some of the latest software pushes have gotten stuck in the HR34, The fix is to do a red button reset and when you see some activity on the progress bar to press and hold the red button again for a few seconds. The HR34 will do a double reset and cough up the stuck software upgrade.

#24 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

As I posted in another thread, Directv really is aware that some of the latest software pushes have gotten stuck in the HR34, The fix is to do a red button reset and when you see some activity on the progress bar to press and hold the red button again for a few seconds. The HR34 will do a double reset and cough up the stuck software upgrade.

Nope, does not work. There are no progress bars for one (ever), and even forcing a new 5fd4 did not fix it. I tried the double reset as well, nothing happened.

#25 OFFLINE   lgno

lgno

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

I found the issue and a work around!

With everyone complaining about HDMI modes being reset to 480p, and with all of the HDMI re-syncs happening during boot, I posited that this was a HDMI sync bug.

So I unplugged the HR-34, unplugged HDMI, and plugged the DVR back in. I waited 30 mins, plugged in the HDMI and I am back in business!

I'll notify DirecTV support.

UPDATE: I received the new HR34, hooked everything up, and started watching TV. It was running software from Nov. 2011 (I believe), but otherwise it was fine. After watching for a few hours I turned the box off and then back on. It started a software update which to my surprise froze in the exact same spot as my old box! I realized there was nothing wrong with my old box after all except this new update.

A bit of troubleshooting revealed the update would continue straight through without freezing if I kept the HDMI cable unplugged during the process. I did that on both the new box, and then the old box. As long as the HDMI was unplugged they would complete the update and I could subsequently plug the HDMI back in and everything would work normally.

I have never had any sort of authentication issues with premium channels nor other channels in general, and have never had an HDMI issue with any other update in the 1 year I've had the box. Something specific to the 0x05FD update was the issue.

I returned the new HR34 and kept the old one with all my recordings/settings still on it (having to call in and switch activation back to the old box). Overall this whole ordeal was a big hassle for me (with DirecTV being courteous but no help at all)... leaving me to figure it all out myself. How nice it must be for DirecTV to send out a buggy update and leave it up to the customer to figure out.

Moral of the story: when in doubt start unplugging stuff.

#26 OFFLINE   lgno

lgno

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Forgot to mention there is, in fact, a lingering bug from the update. When pressing the format button on the remote, I am no longer able to cycle from "crop" to "pillar box". It stops at "crop" and will not continue thru. I am still able to manually select each format by going into menu>settings>display>video, but when pressing the format button it always stops cycling on crop.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Congratulations on figuring out a most unusual fix! I imagine the engineers at DIRECTV will be interested, but also that yours is a pretty unique situation.

What was on the other end of your HDMI cable?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   sriggins

sriggins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

What was on the other end of your HDMI cable?

Denon AVR-1913, going to a Mits WD-57732

#29 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Omitting the AVR is one big step in troubleshooting. I keep mine off the Video feed from my Genie, and run optical audio back to my Denon. Works a treat. And I choose to leave the Denon off at times, so it's easy to use built in sound.

Best of luck!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...