Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cleaned my remote

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

My New Year's resolution is to stop cussing. :sure: With that in mind I decided it was time to try to clean my high use NFL remote internally to see if that was the cause of my "unresponsive receiver", which certainly has been a factor in my cussin'.

Using the step by step guide in the Tips and Resources section, I am very happy to report success! Just tried it and the darn thing works very well again, which is to say that the receiver accepts the numbers as I press the buttons. PTL and pass the chips. :D Thanks for all the info on this site; it is very useful and appreciated.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,083 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

If it wears out again, you might want to get a new remote, then take the covers off and switch the internals. Then you would still have the NFL with all new parts.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

Just a nerdy tip: If you want to keep your remotes spotless, just bag them. I use ziplock freezer bags (heaver poly) for all my remotes, and change the bag periodically. The IR shoots through the end of the bag just fine, and no dirt or finger oil gets to the remote at all. You can get bags the size of the remotes, but freezer bags work for me just great. The remotes stay like new.

#4 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

Just a nerdy tip: If you want to keep your remotes spotless, just bag them. I use ziplock freezer bags (heaver poly) for all my remotes, and change the bag periodically. The IR shoots through the end of the bag just fine, and no dirt or finger oil gets to the remote at all. You can get bags the size of the remotes, but freezer bags work for me just great. The remotes stay like new.

Um, do you also have plastic slipcovers on your furniture? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I just had to...
Reading this reminded me of the first episode of Eerie, Indiana:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul0uqJplDAk

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#5 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Um, do you also have plastic slipcovers on your furniture? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I just had to...
Reading this reminded me of the first episode of Eerie, Indiana:

I had to give those up because I kept slipping off onto the floor when I'd fall asleep watching TV:)

#6 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

:lol: I can see my fat fingers trying to hit remote buttons thru a ziplock! :lol: But I like the idea of changing out the covers of my "NFL remote"!
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#7 OFFLINE   RBTO

RBTO

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Actually, it's not that bad, and I don't even know they're in a bag anymore. I do a lot by feel and it doesn't seem to interfere with that either. It sure helps if you do a lot of spicy wings and Cheetos - just keep a good stock of bags on hand!

#8 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 483 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

The crinkling bag noises would drives me nuts.

#9 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,265 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

My New Year's resolution is to stop cussing. :sure: With that in mind I decided it was time to try to clean my high use NFL remote internally to see if that was the cause of my "unresponsive receiver", which certainly has been a factor in my cussin'.

Using the step by step guide in the Tips and Resources section, I am very happy to report success! Just tried it and the darn thing works very well again, which is to say that the receiver accepts the numbers as I press the buttons. PTL and pass the chips. :D Thanks for all the info on this site; it is very useful and appreciated.

Hey cool! Thanks for letting us know it was useful to you. :)

There is definitely a wealth if information on this site and some great people contributing to it. :up:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#10 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Must work for TSA

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Are you f'ing kidding me?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Or just buy a new one from Solid Signal every couple of years, which is what I do.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#13 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Quick question-does anyone else see a YouTube window in my previous post?

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#14 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Quick question-does anyone else see a YouTube window in my previous post?

No. Quote this post to see how to do it. You don't need the whole URL.

Ul0uqJplDAk

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#15 OFFLINE   redhot

redhot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

How about one or two wraps of Saran wrap?......
HR24-100.....Vizio 47" Apps
HR24-100.....Vizio 22" Apps
HR24-100.....Vizio 32"

spam firewall