Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is there a max number of Tuners Overall

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I currently have 4 DVRs. We have two HR24's, One HR20 and one HR21. We are replacing the HR21 with a new HR34 on Saturday and keeping the other 3 DVRs.

I know, the new HR44 DVR was just announced and while it sounds nice, I was able to get a very good price on the HR34, so I've decided to take the plunge now rather than wait any longer.

As currently setup, each of our DVRs have 2 tuners for a total of 8 tuners. They are all fed by Coax. We have the SWiM in our basement that coverts 8 lines into four and each of those four go to each DVR.

My question is when they install the HR34 with 5 tuners, is it still just connected with that one cable coming into our family room?

What I really want to know is in the end will we have a total of 11 tuners (5 on the HR34 and 2 each on the other three DVRs.) or is there a limit of 8 tuners because of the SWiM?

Also, is there anything else that I need to be concerned about with this upcoming installation? Will it be as simple as just swapping out the HR21 and plugging in the HR34 or will there likely be issues that will need to be resolved?

Also, what remote ships with the HR34? Is it the RC65RBX? Is this still the best DirecTV remote out there right now for these DVRs? Is eBay the cheapest place to find these remotes?

Thanks for any assistance.
HR34 Genie, Two HR24-500's, HR21-100 :
Samsung 55" LED 6150, Samsung 46" LED 6050, Sony 52" Bravia LCD , Sony 40" Bravia LCD, Sony HCD-X1 2.1 Home Theatre, Samsung Blu-Ray DVD Player, Apple TV 3rd generation, Xbox 360, Wii , XM Radio

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

They'll need to change you to a SWiM-16, which will raise the tuner limit to 16 [eight on each SWiM output].
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I don't think the HR34 comes with a remote in the box. As I understand it, remotes are shipped in bulk to installers, and they distribute them as needed when installing equipment. That seemed to be the case with mine.

My understanding is that you would be entitled to an IR-only RC65 series remote, but you might be able to sweet-talk your installer into giving you the IR/RF-capable version. I was able to get three of the latter (RC65RX) for my three-room install.

Within a week, I ordered myself the backlit RC65RBX version from Solid Signal for my bedroom, where I often watch in low light. Being new to that remote layout was a hassle, so I needed the backlight. That room's original remote is now in the living room, where we enjoy "his and hers" remotes.:D Having two remotes at one viewing location has been very convenient.
October 2012 DirecTV subscriber - HR34(Genie)/C31/C31 - AU9-S-SWM Five LNB - Premier

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,372 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

I buy my remotes on Ebay. Usually you can get the RC65RX model for less than $7.50 delivered.

If you have the protection plan DTV will send you one for free.

The 8 tuner limit you are thinking of is if you have the SWM LNB on the dish. It does have 8 tuners limit. They change it back to the legacy LNB with 4 outputs and run it to the SWM 16 as stated by veryoldschool. Then from there each receiver just needs one coax connection.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

do you think they will likely have a SWim 16 on their truck when they come out to install?
Samsung 55" LED 6150, Samsung 46" LED 6050, Sony 52" Bravia LCD , Sony 40" Bravia LCD, Sony HCD-X1 2.1 Home Theatre, Samsung Blu-Ray DVD Player, Apple TV 3rd generation, Xbox 360, Wii , XM Radio

#6 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,349 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

do you think they will likely have a SWim 16 on their truck when they come out to install?

Should. They did for mine awhile back.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

They should have the SWiM16 if your current configuration online matches what you actually have. You won't see the SWiM16 listed on your account for the install, but it will be on the installers work order. Check when he gets there to ensure he has it. With 11 tuners, you are going to need it.

But I didn't understand this statement you made:

We have the SWiM in our basement that coverts 8 lines into four and each of those four go to each DVR.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,682 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

It is odd, but it does sound like he has an actual SWM-8, not a LNB-SWM.

#9 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

Ok, so I looked at my SWiM unit and it says SWiM16.

However, I'm still confused how it works. First, there a 6 inputs where the satellite feeds come in. I have four input feeds for I guess each of the 4 satellites? Then, there are "Legacy" ports that are all empty.

Finally, there is a power input and then a SWim1 and SWim2 inputs. I don't have anything connected to the SWim2 port. The cable connected to the SWiM1 goes to a 4-way SWiM splitter that connects the cables to each of my 4 DVRs.

So, with only a SWiM1 and SWiM2 output, can each one be split 8 ways?

One other question. Is there any point where there is any kind of degradation of picture quality splitting it that many ways? I mean, if I end up having 11 tuners and theoretically have all 11 tuners recording at the same time, will there be picture degradation due to bandwidth issues or anything?

I have a friend in Texas who has Uverse and he says that AT&T has limits as to the number of SD and HD feeds because of bandwidth. He can have up to 6 feeds, but only 4 of them can be HD feeds. The other 2 feeds have to be SD due to bandwidth limits.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

When you get the HR34, simply connect it to the SWM2 port and you're good to go.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

We have 11 tuners (10 recordable). We have never noticed any degradation when using most (or all) of those at the same time.

Just do what VOS says, connect the 34 to port 2 and you'll be working fine.

#12 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

And make sure there is a terminator on the splitter port that opens when the HR34 cable is moved.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

So, with only a SWiM1 and SWiM2 output, can each one be split 8 ways?

Yes. Each one can feed up to 8 tuners.

One other question. Is there any point where there is any kind of degradation of picture quality splitting it that many ways? I mean, if I end up having 11 tuners and theoretically have all 11 tuners recording at the same time, will there be picture degradation due to bandwidth issues or anything?

There shouldn't be.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 15 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.
fixed quote/end quote

#14 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

We have 11 tuners (10 recordable). We have never noticed any degradation when using most (or all) of those at the same time.

There is an excellent reason for that, which is that tuners do not share resources (other than the main CPU for support, or the HDD if you are recording or buffering on that tuner). Every tuner is fully independent of every other tuner. Likewise, any channel a tuner might be tuned to is fully independent from every other channel.

When a particular signal is ported to more than one output (chosen by multiple tuners) the signal is not divided among them; RF signals are electrically bufferred, power divided, and reamplified so that each output is a unity gain version of the input, and each output is independent of any other output. The input is unaffected by the number of chosen outputs, and each chosen output is unaffected by any other chosen output, electrically speaking.

IOW, it matters not at all what the rest of your DVR or DVRs are tuning as regards the ability of a single tuner to do its job. The fact that you may be recording Here Comes Honey Boo Boo on a different tuner will have as much affect on any other particular tuner as would me recoding that show at the same time you were trying to record it on the other side of the country; no affect.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,417 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Best to call the contractor and make sure, not every truck has everything on them. If you have an afternoon appointment, the odds increase that the truck will not have them.

Always best to get a morning appointment. And always wise to call the contractor before the truck rolls. D* will provide that number for you if you ask for it.

Rich

spam firewall