Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Disappointed with CBS' Interference with CNET's "Best of CES" Awards

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

technically speaking ... the new Hopper2 is not that new word in the technology ... just simple aggregation of old embedded Sling idea [bad functioning 922] and existing Hopper ... I don't see anything what would trumpet the fanfares

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   rovenorth

rovenorth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

"CNETs credibility just went to the dogs."

My dogs resent this. Don't worry, though, their attentions spans are sufficiently short that they'll be on to the next thing any nanosecond now. Yup, there they go!

On Dish versus CBS/CNN ...

Especially in this day and age with so many folks really and truly hurting, I'm not too interested in the whining of zillionaires :nono2:

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Imagine if Underwriter's Laboratories was owned by General Electric and allowed GE to have influence on test results.

I see what you did there...

I don't think there is a problem per se with CBS owning CNET... the problem is when CBS steps in and tells CNET to be objective with someone that CBS has a problem with.

IF CNET operates on its own, and no one can prove any lack of objectivity... then I don't think it would be an issue.

But now that the worm-can has been forced open? CBS has essentially invited people to take a look at all things CNET does and question whether or not CBS has done this before or will do this again.

That is going to be a tough thing for CNET to recover independent objective credibility going forward.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#24 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I am going to repeat the same thing I posted on other sites about this topic.

Although Charlie is involved in way too many lawsuits and many of them are his fault, regardless of which side one is to take in the CBS and Dish suit, this is just a stupid move by CBS. In the long run this will just make Dish look like the good guys.

If the reward is deserved, then the award should be given. A suit should have no bearing on whether or not a product is good enough to win the award. It should be based solely on the parameters set for that award.

#25 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

I usually don't get involved in these threads but i will this once. I have one question what does dish networks owner get out of constantly biting the hand that feeds him without the networks he has no content to sell?
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#26 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

Based on what exactly? A press release from Dish Network? That's it? A black eye...right...

You really don't see the ramifications of this? If it was just CBS itself involved in this decision, it would be more understandable, as long as they disclosed their decision. But to force politics on what was an independent testing site that happens to be owned by them, that does what we thought was independent testing is not understandable.
Here is a very small sampling of what others - no not just me, not just Dish is saying. You can try to make this somehow the fault of Dish, but those that have an idea of what this means know differently.

http://www.buzzfeed....worst-nightmare
("This confirms that fear, at least for CNET's reporters — that there is a profound difference in product journalism and actual journalism, to the point that the former might not even be in the same genus as the latter. Good service writing, unglamorous as it may be, demands integrity too. Your authority as someone telling people what to buy is determined first and foremost by your motivations.

CNET has a roster of stellar writers and reporters who do great journalism every single day, and this isn't their fault. But it gives critics of the tech media a leg to stand on, and will be felt deeply — in the gut — across the tech media. ")

http://www.theatlant...spot-ces/60866/

https://plus.google....sts/AnPtDvmHwec

Edited by tampa8, 11 January 2013 - 02:30 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:20 AM

I see what you did there...

I don't think there is a problem per se with CBS owning CNET... the problem is when CBS steps in and tells CNET to be objective with someone that CBS has a problem with.

IF CNET operates on its own, and no one can prove any lack of objectivity... then I don't think it would be an issue.

But now that the worm-can has been forced open? CBS has essentially invited people to take a look at all things CNET does and question whether or not CBS has done this before or will do this again.

That is going to be a tough thing for CNET to recover independent objective credibility going forward.

Nailed it.

#28 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

This happened before. CBS wouldn't let a 60 Minutes report on the tobacco industry air. Even came out in a movie. Granted, the CNET affair won't be as big an issue.

#29 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

Not the same thing. Editorial control over their own broadcast programming is one thing. Strong-arming a subsidiary with a reputation for impartial reviews and testing is something else.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#30 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,629 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm a Directv subscriber but damn that is so wrong in so many ways, it's technology that matters not some type of dispute with a network

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#31 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,773 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I remember back in the C-band days, when trade magazines used to give annual "Best ____" awards for hardware items, and the winner of every award was whichever company bought the most advertising in that jounal.

#32 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

...what does dish networks owner get out of constantly biting the hand that feeds him without the networks he has no content to sell?

According to Forbes, Charlie is worth $9 Billion, and is the 38th richest person in the US. He sounds like a real dick to work for, or with for that matter, but it's hard to argue with success.

Source: http://www.forbes.co.../charles-ergen/

#33 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,868 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

I don't get with the H2 "invention" praise ...

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,762 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

... without the networks he has no content to sell?

There are still plenty of networks to sell ... even many of the ones who "hate Charlie" end up making a deal. 14 million subscribing customers are hard to turn away when you want to make a profit. (Not that some providers have not made that choice.)

Somehow despite the gloom and doom predictions of some people (not you but others) DISH manages to thrive ... make a little money and keep moving forward.

#35 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:09 PM

Just one day after CNet named the Dish "Hopper," a new TV recording system that's drawing rave reviews in the tech press, to an awards shortlist, the site's parent company stepped in and nixed the accolade. Because of a legal battle between CBS and Dish over the Hopper's ad-skipping technology, CBS laid down a ban: CNet won't be allowed to even review Dish products, much less give them awards.

http://money.cnn.com.../dish-cnet-cbs/

As more and more media companies are snapped up by larger corporations - Disney buying ABC or AOL buying Engadget, for example - there is a concern that the legal or financial interests of those parent companies might cloud the news coverage of the outlets they own. While CNET insisted that its news coverage will remain unbiased, the blackout on reviews is troubling to many, as they are largely reviewed by most tech sites as part of the objective, reporting process. Surely, this is not the last lawsuit in which CBS or other media-owning companies will become involved, so where does it stop?

http://www.pcmag.com...,2414184,00.asp

CNET, one of the more widely read tech-review sites, just got kneecapped by its corporate parent, CBS (CBS).

Earlier this month, this magazine called Dish “the meanest company in America.” That may still be true, but in this case, the company’s meanness is in service of consumers. As FDR is alleged to have said about Nicaraguan dictator Anastasio Somoza Garcia, “He’s a son of a bitch, but he’s our son of a bitch.”

Oh, and with its heavy-handed squashing of further CNET coverage, CBS appears to be gunning for the No. 2 spot on that list.

http://www.businessw...ish-dvr-lawsuit

#36 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Greg Sandoval reviewer at Cnet has resigned because their trust now has been comprimised. (Too hard to link from my cell phone sorry) As some immediately recognized this is a pretty big story and honestly CNET may have problems going forward.

#37 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

One of many articles appearing:

The discord between CBS and its tech site CNET is getting loud enough to carry beyond the realm of the super-nerds at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Outrage first bubbled up last week when CBS wouldn't allow the DISH Network's Hopper with Sling DVR to compete for CNET's top award at the trade show because CBS and DISH are currently in court over the technology, which allows viewers to skip over the commercials the network needs to make money. Now the other shoe is dropping — it turns out the Hopper had already been voted the best product before CBS intervened — and one CNET writer has already quit because of the shadiness.

"Sad to report that I've resigned from CNET. I no longer have confidence that CBS is committed to editorial independence," tweeted digital media reporter Greg Sandoval today. "CNET wasn't honest about what occurred regarding Dish is unacceptable to me." He added, "We are supposed to be truth tellers. I believe CNET's leaders are also honest but used poor judgement."

http://nymag.com/dai...s-meddling.html

Article goes on to say (as do others) that the Hopper would have won the award.

#38 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

But the problems may go deeper than that. The Verge has now learned that the facts of the case are somewhat different than the story CNET and CBS had previously shared with the public. According to sources familiar with the matter, the Hopper was not simply an entrant in the Best of CES awards for the site: it was actually chosen as the winner of the "Best of Show" award (as voted by CNET's editorial staff).

Apparently, executives at CBS learned that the Hopper would win "Best of Show" prior to the announcement. Before the winner was unveiled, CBS Interactive News senior-vice president and General Manager Mark Larkin informed CNET's staff that the Hopper could not take the top award. The Hopper would have to be removed from consideration, and the editorial team had to re-vote and pick a new winner from the remaining choices. Sources say that Larkin was distraught while delivering the news — at one point in tears — as he told the team that he had fought CBS executives who had made the decision.

Apparently the move to strike the Hopper from the awards was passed down directly to Larkin from the office of CBS CEO, Leslie Moonves. Moonves has been one of the most outspoken opponents of the Hopper, telling investors at one point, "Hopper cannot exist... if Hopper exists, we will not be in business with (Dish)."

http://www.theverge....fter-hopper-win

#39 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

As the onion gets peeled... I think some of us nailed it from the beginning... CBS thought it would be bad for their lawsuit if the Hopper won a best-in-show... and so they killed it.

Ironically, though... Hopper winning best in show as a CNET award from a CBS-owned company actually would have been a PLUS for the CBS lawsuit as they could say that they are not oppressive and anti-progress, just that they want to protect their business. The neutrality would have gained them favor in court.

Now, however, the smackdown at CNET will no doubt be used by Dish in court against CBS to show "look what CBS will do if you don't stop them, they will force out anything they don't like with unfair business practices" and so forth.

This will be bad for CBS going forward in that suit... it will be far worse for CNET credibility, though.

I think employees of CNET, however, will have a chance to go elsewhere and flee the sinking ship IF they choose to do so, because they can be respected for not knowing what to do in the moment but coming forward to say how they were not in favor of what CBS forced them to do.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#40 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Let's say the head of CBS says "OK, we don't want Dish carrying any CBS programming if the keep this device on the market" - can they do that? Or is it up to the local network carriers alone?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...