Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Disappointed with CBS' Interference with CNET's "Best of CES" Awards

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,829 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

Well - that question has a couple of answers -

#1 - For local stations that CBS is the owner / operator - they certainly can do that if they want - the other networks can do the same thing IF THEY want.

#2 - For AFFILIATES of CBS network (and other affiliates) - CBS can't directly direct that. However - CBS could apply pressure to them to make it difficult for the affiliates to continue to be carried by Dish or to keep their CBS affiliation.

It comes down to dollar$ and cent$ - Until the networks say their programming can't be carried by Dish - you'll know that they're just blowing smoke - i.e. it's worth more money to them to keep that programming in front of our eyes.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   sat01

sat01

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

sorry if this was posted already.
but apparently several CNET employees quit b/c of this

http://news.yahoo.co...-213434265.html

edit. yes, i see someone did mention it already

#43 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Let's say the head of CBS says "OK, we don't want Dish carrying any CBS programming if the keep this device on the market" - can they do that? Or is it up to the local network carriers alone?

That is essentially what CBS seems to be threatening via lawsuit... that IF they can't win the suit to get Dish to drop the features... then in the next contract they will try to negotiate it out.

As Scooper said... CBS-owned affiliates could easily be dropped if CBS wishes to not negotiate. non-CBS-owned LiLs would be harder for CBS to control, though they could pressure them to play hardball with Dish.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#44 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

Don't forget that CBS is Viacom ... The last national renewal for Viacom channels on DISH (2010) did not go well. I do not know which year their last "multi-year agreement" runs through, but CBS/Viacom tied their owned & operated broadcast channels with their satellite channels. If they decide to withhold programming it will be more than just a few major market's locals.

Also don't forget that Viacom went dark on DirecTV (2012) ... so they are willing to leave a provider while negotiating a deal. But they will eventually come around.

Hopefully the issue will make its way through the courts before the next renewal talks commence. I would hate to see CBS/Viacom try to avenge a loss in court by pulling the channels ... but killing the Hopper is a non-starter.

#45 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Had CBS said, "We won't award the "new and innovative, Share your DISH programming with a Neighbor box, until it's lawsuits from DISH Network and DirecTV are resolved, Charlie would have applauded their actions.

If it's a great invention, it can get an award next year, after the lawsuits are settled.

#46 OFFLINE   JosephF

JosephF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

The biggest joke to me is that this product was even up for best of show.

I mean come on, the Hopper has been out for awhile now (and it is debatable if it is even the best Whole Home DVR) and Sling has been around for years. You're telling me that a merging of these two products is the best new product out there!

Give me a break :nono2:

#47 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I don't really see the logic in a provider voluntarily depriving themselves of millions of viewers because a few might use a new device to skip some commercials during some programs.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#48 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I don't really see the logic in a provider voluntarily depriving themselves of millions of viewers because a few might use a new device to skip some commercials during some programs.

Advertisers pay for those viewers to see their ads. Prime Time is the big time for advertisers. So they will reduce their ad fees and to make up for it, the networks will charge DISH higher re-trans fees.

All for just a FEW Commercials skipped.

Seems worth it to me.
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#49 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

The biggest joke to me is that this product was even up for best of show.

I mean come on, the Hopper has been out for awhile now (and it is debatable if it is even the best Whole Home DVR) and Sling has been around for years. You're telling me that a merging of these two products is the best new product out there!

Give me a break :nono2:

CNET specifically called out the functionality of being able to transfer shows to a tablet for offline and away from home viewing.

Sorry if I missed it, but didn't see this link posted yet from the editor in chief: http://news.cnet.com...ds-cnets-story/

#50 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

This really seems to have worked out pretty badly for CBS, the person that made this decision should be fired. I mean if the Hopper with Sling had won that award, outside of a small group of techie types, very few people would've ever even known it had won in the first place and it would've been quickly forgotten. Now this has become a big brouhaha and CBS has managed by this action to not only heap all sorts of negative publicity on themselves but also gave more publicity to Dish and their Hopper than would've ever occurred otherwise. :nono2:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#51 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm completely disagree with that panel who did pick the model, the CES demo item.

We are, customers, should vote !
Only AFTER first months of using in MASS, not by the "looker" at dish booth.
We are, who are still have problems with 922 (722s), we are who cannot get properly working Sling adapter with Hopper [2000].

We, not they !

#52 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm completely disagree with that panel who did pick the model, the CES demo item.

We are, customers, should vote !
Only AFTER first months of using in MASS, not by the "looker" at dish booth.
We are, who are still have problems with 922 (722s), we are who cannot get properly working Sling adapter with Hopper [2000].

We, not they !

1) Pretty much everything at CES is a demo product.

2) It's a best in show award, not a consumers' choice award. How are we supposed to choose best in show for a show we didn't go to?
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#53 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,718 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Advertisers pay for those viewers to see their ads. Prime Time is the big time for advertisers. So they will reduce their ad fees and to make up for it, the networks will charge DISH higher re-trans fees.

All for just a FEW Commercials skipped.

Seems worth it to me.

My point being, if they pull all programming from Dish, they'll lose all ad revenue based on how many million potential viewers?

A much bigger loss than that of a few who might use the skip feature.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

1) Pretty much everything at CES is a demo product.

2) It's a best in show award, not a consumers' choice award. How are we supposed to choose best in show for a show we didn't go to?

Who the "eaters" of the awards?
We.

We are as consumers/customers to whom the cNet and engadgets, etc will shove the half-baked devices to our throats the "award" as push to buy/subscribe !

#55 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Who the "eaters" of the awards?
We.

We are as consumers/customers to whom the cNet and engadgets, etc will shove the half-baked devices to our throats the "award" as push to buy/subscribe !

So what you are saying is you would rather have no evaluations at all?
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Had CBS said, "We won't award the "new and innovative, Share your DISH programming with a Neighbor box, until it's lawsuits from DISH Network and DirecTV are resolved, Charlie would have applauded their actions.

It is not the same thing. CBS is not a party to your theoretical service sharing lawsuit. In that example, CBS would be taking a moral stand to support someone they felt was wronged. Not a self serving decision.

If it's a great invention, it can get an award next year, after the lawsuits are settled.

It isn't new next year ... that award will have to go to the "Hopper 3". :D

#57 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

In the end the Hooper was the winner and nobody can take that away.
not even directv :D

#58 OFFLINE   JosephF

JosephF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

CNET specifically called out the functionality of being able to transfer shows to a tablet for offline and away from home viewing.

Sorry if I missed it, but didn't see this link posted yet from the editor in chief: http://news.cnet.com...ds-cnets-story/

I still say that if this is the best thing to come out of CES, the industry is in a majorly sad state.

#59 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 968 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

DID you guys see the full page ad DISH had in sundays L.A.TIMES? Tells how dish got the award for best in show and how cbs goes to great lenghts to keep you from ad-skipping technology :hurah:

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

DID you guys see the full page ad DISH had in sundays L.A.TIMES? Tells how dish got the award for best in show and how cbs goes to great lenghts to keep you from ad-skipping technology :hurah:

Yep. Yet another example of Charlie poking the very industry he relies on and must negotiate with directly in the eye.
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...