Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Disappointed with CBS' Interference with CNET's "Best of CES" Awards

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Yep. Yet another example of Charlie poking the very industry he relies on and must negotiate with directly in the eye.

And I find it refreshing. If Charlie didn't push for it, there might not be local-into-local or at the least would have taken longer, no one would carry the Superstations, and no one would advance the technology of commercial skipping or again, would have taken alot longer. Dish has done some dumb things, as most companies at times will do ("New Coke") but they also are the only ones to challenge the concept that the networks or even the FCC will determine what and how we will watch TV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

Yep. Yet another example of Charlie poking the very industry he relies on and must negotiate with directly in the eye.

NO! Serving his customers with the latest technology.

#63 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

And I find it refreshing. If Charlie didn't push for it, there might not be local-into-local or at the least would have taken longer, no one would carry the Superstations, and no one would advance the technology of commercial skipping or again, would have taken alot longer. Dish has done some dumb things, as most companies at times will do ("New Coke") but they also are the only ones to challenge the concept that the networks or even the FCC will determine what and how we will watch TV.

Commercial skipping technology is not good. If you understood the correlation between ad revenue and production costs, you would understand that as well. Interfering with a substantial revenue stream for a content owner and then having to negotiate with them for retrans? Idiotic...Charlie...same thing. There is a reason DirecTV had the technology a long time ago and chose not to use. Please, Charlie doesn't do anything for the benefit of the customers unless it happens as a byproduct of his main objective...feeding his own ego.
DTV = Digital Television

#64 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

NO! Serving his customers with the latest technology.

Despite the consequences to all involved, including customers. So long as Charlie can pick a fight, that's all that matters to him.
DTV = Digital Television

#65 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

I might suggest a compromise, DISH disables the feature automatically on shows with 10 minutes (or less) of commercials per hour.

I, for one, can't remember 24 minutes worth of commercials per hour any how. Does the economic model of television fail with 10 minutes/hour of commercials at a prorated $$$ level versus 24 minutes/hour for the same $$$ ?

There, I just fixed the problem. Now, I'm going out and fix Social Security this afternoon . . .

:lol:

#66 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

Commercial skipping technology is not good. If you understood the correlation between ad revenue and production costs, you would understand that as well. Interfering with a substantial revenue stream for a content owner and then having to negotiate with them for retrans? Idiotic...Charlie...same thing. There is a reason DirecTV had the technology a long time ago and chose not to use. Please, Charlie doesn't do anything for the benefit of the customers unless it happens as a byproduct of his main objective...feeding his own ego.

You know I completely forgot that your opinion is widely regarded as fact:rolleyes:

#67 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

You know I completely forgot that your opinion is widely regarded as fact:rolleyes:

Pure fact? Not always. Common sense and logic? Always. I'm always here to help people out who lack either.
DTV = Digital Television

#68 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 710 posts
  • LocationNW Iowa

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yeah, I think that people are going to one day wish that we were back in the days when commercials were separate pieces from the actual TV shows.

Here's the simple issue: networks get their money primarily from what companies are willing to pay for commercial time. So, let's say consumers have a simple way to skip all commercials and decide to do so. One of a couple of things will happen: the networks will get their funds in some other manner, one of which is what gets charged to providers. Or they will find ways to put commercials in shows in ways we can't skip over. Product placement already occurs, but I would predict what would be more prevalent would be commercials running over the show as the show is playing. We already have the irritating ads for other TV shows running across the bottom of shows; imagine animated ads for peanut butter and pepsi and insurance running over the bottom of every show's episodes.

We won't get away from commercials, so be careful what you wish for. Eliminate what we have today, and it will be replaced with something pretty intrusive.

#69 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,707 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Commercial skipping technology is not good.

Not to rehash previous threads, but we all know it's been around since the first VCRs and was probably a big thrust in their sales. I know it was for me -- as much or more so than delayed watching.

And I think we all know that ad-sipported broadcast TV as we know it today is going away and that the networks are fighting for survival.

Even the FCC seems to be moving away from broadcast TV, selling off the bandwidth to new technologies.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#70 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,053 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

then I'm envision more and more people will show middle finger and switching to renting or Internet download w/out ads what are ruining pleasure of watching what you want and how you want;
after all it's my TV and it's my time !

#71 OFFLINE   jadebox

jadebox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 404 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I might suggest a compromise, DISH disables the feature automatically on shows with 10 minutes (or less) of commercials per hour.

From the start, I think it's been clear that Charlie sees ad-skipping as a bargaining chip. I don't think he'd be willing to disable it for certain channels, that might upset customers, but he might be willing, for example, to do something like monitor the skipping and pay the stations a bit more based on it. In exchange, of course, for them not suing him and not offering the same deal to others.

-- Roger

#72 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

And Autohop is not a one time selection, it has to be chosen each time you watch a show. So it isn't as non-obtrusive, nor does it make one not watch ads less than they would if they just did 30 second skips.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#73 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Common sense and logic? Always.

Thats a stretch. Lets try completely biased and posting antagonistic replies for sake of posting said reply even at the cost of ignoring common sense and logic :)

#74 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Thats a stretch. Lets try completely biased and posting antagonistic replies for sake of posting said reply even at the cost of ignoring common sense and logic :)

Refer to my previous post. Let me know if you'd like my help.
DTV = Digital Television

#75 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

^Harharhar.

#76 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,246 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, I think that people are going to one day wish that we were back in the days when commercials were separate pieces from the actual TV shows.

Here's the simple issue: networks get their money primarily from what companies are willing to pay for commercial time. So, let's say consumers have a simple way to skip all commercials and decide to do so. One of a couple of things will happen: the networks will get their funds in some other manner, one of which is what gets charged to providers. Or they will find ways to put commercials in shows in ways we can't skip over. Product placement already occurs, but I would predict what would be more prevalent would be commercials running over the show as the show is playing. We already have the irritating ads for other TV shows running across the bottom of shows; imagine animated ads for peanut butter and pepsi and insurance running over the bottom of every show's episodes.

We won't get away from commercials, so be careful what you wish for. Eliminate what we have today, and it will be replaced with something pretty intrusive.

I think if advertisers understood how few of the ads are actually watched by anyone they'd insist on the method you talk about above. I mean lets face it Since the beginning of TV when a commercial came on unless it was particularly entertaining it was time to get up and get snack, use the bathroom, talk to other people in the room, etc until the show came back on. Then with the invention of the remote, commercial comes on, check out what's on other channels joined the above commercial avoiding activities. Then we get the VCR and one more way to skip commercials. DVR's and autohop are just the latest version of this, nothing revolutionary there. It's to the point where the only people watching commercials are those too feeble get up and move from in front of the tv or push a remote button. Some advertisers are starting to understand this, I mean it seems there's a lot of commercials these days aimed at older people. Of course it seems that broadcast tv does its best to try to convince advertisers they provide a valuable tool for reaching customers, I mean look how they keep trying to perpetuate the myth that the 18 to 49 age group matters the most to potential advertisers. I mean come on lets get real, the younger people are exactly the age group that's least likely to see any ads due to the way they choose to watch their shows, weather it's using technology like DVR's, streaming via the internet or ordering via Netflix. In any case what CBS did here just made them look like the bad guy and gave free promotion to the Hopper so it was rather the epic fail on their part.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#77 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Pure fact? Not always. Common sense and logic? Always. I'm always here to help people out who lack either.

Look, I know the rules, but I have to say this:

Can you just impose a mental ban on yourself and stop posting on the Dish forums? You really can't seem to contribute in a positive way to any thread over here. It's mindblowing that you never seem to conduct yourself in a decent manner if it's got something to do with Dish.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#78 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Look, I know the rules, but I have to say this:

Can you just impose a mental ban on yourself and stop posting on the Dish forums? You really can't seem to contribute in a positive way to any thread over here. It's mindblowing that you never seem to conduct yourself in a decent manner if it's got something to do with Dish.

Amen and I'm a directv subscriber, but I would ignore it and move on.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#79 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Folks... please stop attacking each other and discuss the topic. IF the personal attacks continue there will likely be some penalties and a thread-closing looming.

Thanks!

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#80 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Dish = Good Guy( in this case).

CBS = Bad Guy

Cnet = Not truthful with Reviews

Simple as that Period.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...